Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Acceptance requirements

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 11:25:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think it would make more sense if we made acceptance dependent on the time the debater has been on DDO. So, you could set it to X amount of months/days.

The rating system isn't the most accurate here, so exclusion based on rating would leave out many good opponents. Exclusion based on age is also inaccurate, because age really doesn't determine skill. Completed debates is also inaccurate because it has limited ranges (ex. instead of 10+,....it says 10 - 20 debates) On top of that, the majority of hijacked debates are done by members who registered a few hours prior...then they realize that they don't feel like debating, and leave forever.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 11:28:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Age of one's account is no better a judge of devoting skill than the current rating system (and arguably less so).
Sapere Aude!
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 11:28:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/8/2012 11:28:10 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
Age of one's account is no better a judge of debating skill than the current rating system (and arguably less so).

fixed
Sapere Aude!
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 11:38:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/8/2012 11:28:10 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
Age of one's account is no better a judge of devoting skill than the current rating system (and arguably less so).

It also discounts the fact that some newcomers may have already gained some expertise in debating through tournaments and clubs and are seeking to extend that activity online.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 11:42:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/8/2012 11:38:16 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/8/2012 11:28:10 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
Age of one's account is no better a judge of devoting skill than the current rating system (and arguably less so).

It also discounts the fact that some newcomers may have already gained some expertise in debating through tournaments and clubs and are seeking to extend that activity online.

For instance, Fourtrouble joined five months ago and is already better than most debaters on the site. The same can't be said of dairygirl4u2c who's been here for four years.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 11:47:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/8/2012 11:42:12 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 7/8/2012 11:38:16 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/8/2012 11:28:10 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
Age of one's account is no better a judge of devoting skill than the current rating system (and arguably less so).

It also discounts the fact that some newcomers may have already gained some expertise in debating through tournaments and clubs and are seeking to extend that activity online.

For instance, Fourtrouble joined five months ago and is already better than most debaters on the site. The same can't be said of dairygirl4u2c who's been here for four years.

He's been here for 5 months. All I'm proposing is that we have the option to exclude people who joined just hours or days ago. And that would be a more accurate system because most people that accept and forfeit joined the website that very same day.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 12:04:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
If a lot of debates don't allow new members to accept, then those new members would quickly lose interest in this site, which would be rather bad.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 10:43:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I just wish you could have an option for ____ debates won/completed or higher. The way it currently is is ___ wins between ___ wins. Why would I want to set a limit for how good my opponent is? I want to be able to set it so that a noob doesn't take while also not limiting anyone else higher up from taking it.

As for your suggestion, N/O.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 10:53:43 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
While I agree that the current system of number of wins is flawed, the amount of time one has been here can be an even more flawed way of measuring skill. If we set it so that members need to be here at least a week before they can accept, you would run into the same problems of forfeiture. Also, as demonstrated by other posts, longevity does not equal skill. The current options are severely limited because as Phantom said, they are intervals as opposed to a minimum requirement. I found that the best way to set a debate is make it so that the contender needs to have as many wins as you (or more) in order to accept. That guarantees that the contender somewhat knows what they are doing. I'd find it unlikely that someone with 20 wins would forfeit.

However, a lot of members votebomb or are people that you simply don't want to debate. Setting an age limit works as most of those members are teenagers. While there are many smart teenagers on this site, it is a simple matter of them writing in the comments and asking for a challenge to be sent directly. If it was 000ike or DNinja for instance, I doubt anyone would mind simply sending them the challenge directly.

This can be extended to all members. Set an impossible age/win requirement in your challenge and ask that anyone who wants to debate that topic post in the comments. Once a member that you would like to debate posts in the comments, send them the challenge directly. That way, you can only debate people you want. Another method is to PM members who you want to debate and set it up from there.
Ron-Paul
Posts: 2,557
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 10:59:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
My Suggestion: Implement the new ELO ranking system into the requirements and let debaters choose their minimum ELO score number.