Jump to topic:

Keep up, Juggle

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 12:37:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
A History forum was widely disputed, and there were better suggestions in terms of what to do about new forum categories. Nonetheless, a "Funny" forum completely diminishes the seriousness of the site, especially because "Miscellaneous, Games, and Personal" are already filled with gibberish nonsense. (Granted, Games are mostly fine.)
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 12:54:01 PM
Seriously, complainers, shut. the. fuck. up.

It can't do harm. We have had so many good updates. If anything really does do any harm, it can be reversed.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 1:03:22 PM
At 7/10/2012 12:54:01 PM, FREEDO wrote:

It can't do harm. We have had so many good updates. If anything really does do any harm, it can be reversed.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 1:03:39 PM

If resources are spent on unnecessary updates, complaints are welcome. Someone new leading Juggle's DDO section doesn't mean things will be better. If crap comes, it should go while it can.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 1:06:46 PM
Idk man, I'm pretty sure the purpose of the funny forum was to draw away some of the spam from those other forums
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 1:09:13 PM
At 7/10/2012 1:06:46 PM, thett3 wrote:
Idk man, I'm pretty sure the purpose of the funny forum was to draw away some of the spam from those other forums
I suggested calling it "Nonsense." I guess trolls think they're funny so the category that we have now is fine for them.

There are tons of ways to get rid of trolls. Hardly anybody gives support to good ideas. People here only ask Juggle to do it, not so much "how." The fellow DDO'ers are quite a little arrogant to accept good ideas. It degrades them I think.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 1:50:47 PM
The "funny" forum is a little pointless, but I definately agree with adding history.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 2:11:30 PM
I think they are both welcome additions that will help in organizing some of the topics, while keeping spam stuff out of others... But that's just my opinion and I understand some don't feel the same way...

But anyways..

Welcome back Mirza :)
Debate.org Moderator
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 3:11:57 PM
"Funny" thread is just a nicer name for "Spam" thread. But now at least we can put an end to the spam in the personal and misc. threads.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 3:13:48 PM
At 7/10/2012 3:11:57 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
"Funny" thread is just a nicer name for "Spam" thread. But now at least we can put an end to the spam in the personal and misc. threads.

But the annoying thing is, this won't decrease spam in the other forums.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 3:14:29 PM
At 7/10/2012 3:13:48 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

But the annoying thing is, this won't decrease spam in the other forums.

Unfortunately, you are probably correct.
Debate.org Moderator
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 2:28:23 AM

The misc forum was pretty much for spam. It's the forum category that kept other forum categories clean. All that's ever been there was mafia and spam. "Funny" is just redundant.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 3:13:45 AM
At 7/10/2012 1:03:22 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Haha, perfect.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 3:40:34 AM
I think Mirza is just mad cause his ideas(that no o e liked)weren't used. :D
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 12:18:42 PM
I actually agree with Mirza, the funny forum is redundant....we already have entertainment, miscellaneous, and personal. and the history forum is also redundant since all the other forum topics refer to history. History isn't its own thing, but something involved in every possible topic.

Not that I think we should complain, but, it would be nicer if they listened to us collectively and in order of priority.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 12:21:30 PM
At 7/11/2012 3:40:34 AM, OberHerr wrote:
I think Mirza is just mad cause his ideas(that no o e liked)weren't used. :D
First, I suggested a history forum before anyone I can remember. Second, my ideas make most sites I visit better. I proposed a premium account system. It gained support, but not from the arrogant youngsters.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 12:24:07 PM
At 7/11/2012 12:21:30 PM, Mirza wrote:
Second, my ideas make most sites I visit better.
What this means is that when I visit sites where premium accounts are enabled, the moderators do more for the users and do a much better job at improving the overall user experience. This also applies to applications and games on phones, game consoles, computers, etc. Everyone can enjoy the free stuff, but others can enjoy what they pay for. Once the owners get more resources, even the free users will have more benefits.

That's irrefutable.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 12:53:26 PM
I agree with Ike, mirza, and anyone else, with the exception of Freedo.

A history forum is too barren in comparison and is generally not a topic for discussion; despite the potential richness of exploring history--of methodology, ties to religion, human nature or culture, and so forth, history seems rather a quaint topic in discussion and many seem to trivialize it or its nature (no offense to anyone on the forum).

As for the funny forum....All I can say was that the site doesn't need any more humor when there's enough humor in the community already.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 1:01:23 PM
At 7/11/2012 12:24:07 PM, Mirza wrote:
What this means is that when I visit sites where premium accounts are enabled, the moderators do more for the users and do a much better job at improving the overall user experience. This also applies to applications and games on phones, game consoles, computers, etc. Everyone can enjoy the free stuff, but others can enjoy what they pay for. Once the owners get more resources, even the free users will have more benefits.

That's irrefutable.

That's a little thing called "being an entitled bastard"
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 1:02:00 PM
At 7/11/2012 12:24:07 PM, Mirza wrote:

That's irrefutable.

What more do we want here?

Their already gonna add team debates most likely, and their considering other features.

Also, they already make money off of us, it has something to do with collecting information.

There isn't much else anyone wants on this site as far as I know, and Juggle is clearly willing to update without all that premium jazz.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 1:10:18 PM
My proposal of a premium system came in the past where Juggle did not care about this site more than I care about a house construction in the middle of Russia. I have not been here for a while, but if Juggle can do things well for free, that's fine. If they happen to trick us like before, then I stand by the premium system.

Nonetheless, more resources = more gain. Let people pick.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 1:11:50 PM
Mirza, what other changes to the site would you recommend, barring your views in regards to the history and funny forums???

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 1:20:55 PM
At 7/11/2012 1:11:50 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Mirza, what other changes to the site would you recommend, barring your views in regards to the history and funny forums???
User-moderated threads (also suggested by RoyLatham), video debate option (direct upload of video into debate without any text) and separate win/loss score for that, and such similar things.

For the first thing, say, I'd block some users from posting in my threads where I want a solid discussion. I'd also remove posts that are too offensive and nonsensical (e.g., someone calling someone else a cow).

For the video option, instead of uploading on YouTube and whatnot, a new debate format could enable the debate rounds to only support videos directly uploaded from your computer. The win/loss ratio would be separate from text debates. And there's much more to add to this if people give support.

I specifically wanted to work on this with Juggle if there was support. But there isn't. Not my loss anyway.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 1:22:17 PM
At 7/11/2012 1:20:55 PM, Mirza wrote:
User-moderated threads (also suggested by RoyLatham), video debate option (direct upload of video into debate without any text) and separate win/loss score for that, and such similar things.

For the first thing, say, I'd block some users from posting in my threads where I want a solid discussion. I'd also remove posts that are too offensive and nonsensical (e.g., someone calling someone else a cow).

For the video option, instead of uploading on YouTube and whatnot, a new debate format could enable the debate rounds to only support videos directly uploaded from your computer. The win/loss ratio would be separate from text debates. And there's much more to add to this if people give support.

I specifically wanted to work on this with Juggle if there was support. But there isn't. Not my loss anyway.

Would you also recommend automated debate tournaments or some mechanisms to formally recognize debate tournaments???

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 1:24:32 PM
At 7/11/2012 1:20:55 PM, Mirza wrote:

There is support now because they need more traffic. They realize this.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 1:28:41 PM
At 7/11/2012 1:22:17 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Would you also recommend automated debate tournaments or some mechanisms to formally recognize debate tournaments???
If people have good ideas in terms of how to make it function, sure. As I said, the ideas I suggested are something I could spend my free time thinking about and adding more ideas. Whoever has other ideas, then they can work on them.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 1:36:19 PM
I'm bored by how everything on Internet you have to pay for to get access to special features, so I'm strongly against preminum on DDO.

I do, however, agree that the Funny forum is absolutely Redundant.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac