Jump to topic:

Anonymous Option for Voting/Comments/PM/ect

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 7:53:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Now, this would mainly be preferable for voting, but would be nice in general, if you could post anonymously.

It would also be nice for PMs, since it would open up several mafia roles.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 7:58:13 PM
Wouldn't anonymous voting only make votebombing worse though?
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 8:03:04 PM
At 7/11/2012 7:58:13 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

The mod would be able to see who did it, and you could still report them.

Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 8:30:38 PM
At 7/11/2012 7:53:55 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Now, this would mainly be preferable for voting, but would be nice in general, if you could post anonymously.

We had that. It was awful, and there was a collective cry of gratitude when the system was changed to tell us who voted and how.

The only people put out were a few chronic votebombers, who were exposed to the indignant view of the masses.

The only benefit I can see for it would be mafia, and there are other sites to play that.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:17:47 PM
Voting anonymously? Absolutely and completely no!
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:20:46 PM
At 7/11/2012 8:30:38 PM, Chrysippus wrote:

We had that. It was awful, and there was a collective cry of gratitude when the system was changed to tell us who voted and how.

The only people put out were a few chronic votebombers, who were exposed to the indignant view of the masses.

The only benefit I can see for it would be mafia, and there are other sites to play that.

Yeah, we had that and it sucked. If you think bombing is bad now, you can imagine how widespread and insidious it was when there was zero accountability.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:22:08 PM
Yeah...screw the voting anonymously...

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:22:26 PM
At 7/11/2012 9:20:46 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 7/11/2012 8:30:38 PM, Chrysippus wrote:

Yeah, we had that and it sucked. If you think bombing is bad now, you can imagine how widespread and insidious it was when there was zero accountability.

Yes, this proposal does not have my approval.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:44:35 PM
At 7/11/2012 9:39:37 PM, mongeese wrote:
Anonymous voting was terrible, and fixing that was one of the best things to ever happen to this site.

I have no experience to corroborate this but it's generally agreed:

Anonymous voting eliminates any sense of accountability that can prevent widespread vote-bombing (i.e. recognition and penalty to members who vote unfairly), in a hypothetical scale.

Just think of how people would feel when they can navigate through their feelings and biases alone...in regards to a debate...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:46:08 PM
Can someone comment perhaps on anonymous comments, PMs, posting, ect?

We've established that voting was a bad idea.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:48:05 PM
At 7/11/2012 8:00:27 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
At 7/11/2012 7:58:13 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

^
^
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:49:47 PM
At 7/11/2012 9:46:08 PM, OberHerr wrote:

It's all a bad idea. Why should anyone have to be sneaky and hide behind their comments? I don't see what good this will bring. I'll do a debate with ye, if yer like!
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:50:40 PM
Anonymous voting is an atrocious idea unless you are only talking about covering up the name. In that case, I might be in favor of it. Anonymous posting is ok as long as the name is recorded somewhere for the mod to see.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:51:07 PM
At 7/11/2012 9:49:47 PM, TUF wrote:

It's all a bad idea. Why should anyone have to be sneaky and hide behind their comments? I don't see what good this will bring. I'll do a debate with ye, if yer like!

Well, it would add a lot to mafia games.

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:52:37 PM
At 7/11/2012 9:49:47 PM, TUF wrote:

It lets us add a few roles to Mafia games and allows people to post what they really think without fear of reprisal at the hands of their friends on DDO.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:52:40 PM
At 7/11/2012 9:50:40 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Anonymous voting is an atrocious idea unless you are only talking about covering up the name. In that case, I might be in favor of it. Anonymous posting is ok as long as the name is recorded somewhere for the mod to see.

............thatS what anonymous is.

And, yes, the mod would easily be able to see who done what if this was implemented.

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:54:26 PM
At 7/11/2012 9:52:40 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Well, DDO used to have a form of anonymous vote in which not only was the name covered up, but the vote was too. I'm not in favor of that because I'd like to see the RFD and the point allocation so that we can prevent votebombing.
And, yes, the mod would easily be able to see who done what if this was implemented.
Yeah, this shouldn't be too hard to code. It literally amounts to adding a few more lines.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:54:56 PM

What would be the point? If we had to make it visible for one person (the mod) why not make people truly accountable, and make voting decisions open and transparent for all to see, instead of just for one person to see?
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:55:59 PM

I don't know if I like any of these ideas.. anonymous voting was terrible before and encouraged VBing... Anonymous commenting would likely encourage abuse.. and I'm not sure I see the point of anonymous PMs
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:57:48 PM
Anonymity is very reason that people are more belligerent and hostile on the internet than in the real world. Adding a layer of anonymity on top of our existing layer would only make everything worse.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:59:00 PM
At 7/11/2012 9:55:59 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I don't know if I like any of these ideas.. anonymous voting was terrible before and encouraged VBing... Anonymous commenting would likely encourage abuse.. and I'm not sure I see the point of anonymous PMs

Mafia!

Imagine the roles!

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 10:01:19 PM
At 7/11/2012 9:57:48 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Anonymity is very reason that people are more belligerent and hostile on the internet than in the real world. Adding a layer of anonymity on top of our existing layer would only make everything worse.

Well said. I agree.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 10:03:19 PM
I just thought of an idea! What if, hear me out, we had a debate on this proposal, instead of revolving the arguments over and over?

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 10:08:29 PM
At 7/11/2012 10:03:19 PM, Contra wrote:
I just thought of an idea! What if, hear me out, we had a debate on this proposal, instead of revolving the arguments over and over?

I'm not really for anonymous voting....honestly, I would just like the ability to post anonymously, and PM....

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 10:12:24 PM
At 7/11/2012 10:08:29 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 7/11/2012 10:03:19 PM, Contra wrote:

I'm not really for anonymous voting....honestly, I would just like the ability to post anonymously, and PM....

Have you seen the truth box threads (especially the one before last)?? That was sh!t hostile simply because it was ananymous. Imagine what it would be like if all comments and topics could be private.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 5:40:16 PM

Would lead to harassment
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross