Jump to topic:

Seeing through the BS of non-debaters

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 3:37:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think the curse of a debater is the ability to very easily recognize bullsh*t.

I have a friend who labels all of his friends. I keep my debate life a deep dark secret from everyone I know, so I'm the "funny" one. When I finally got to hang out with the "smart" one, I thought we would get along pretty well. Problem is, he's a pretentious f-ing moron who has absolutely no idea what he's talking about and even though he's a fun guy to chat with about other topics, he instinctively feeds on people telling him that he's profound and insightful.

My mask is well-established so I don't run the risk of snapping and pointing out his BS, thereby effectively ending two friendships because of my ego. However, it is annoying >.>

Anyone else have similar problems with recognizing BS arguments among people you don't want to anger or correct?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 3:39:56 PM
At 7/12/2012 3:37:15 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I think the curse of a debater is the ability to very easily recognize bullsh*t.

I have a friend who labels all of his friends. I keep my debate life a deep dark secret from everyone I know, so I'm the "funny" one. When I finally got to hang out with the "smart" one, I thought we would get along pretty well. Problem is, he's a pretentious f-ing moron who has absolutely no idea what he's talking about and even though he's a fun guy to chat with about other topics, he instinctively feeds on people telling him that he's profound and insightful.

My mask is well-established so I don't run the risk of snapping and pointing out his BS, thereby effectively ending two friendships because of my ego. However, it is annoying >.>

Anyone else have similar problems with recognizing BS arguments among people you don't want to anger or correct?

You sound naive and predictable.
Im not impressed with such primitive garbage.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 3:41:28 PM
At 7/12/2012 3:39:56 PM, inferno wrote:

LOL
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 3:49:56 PM

Hehe, inferno calling someone naive, predictable, and primitive garbage.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 3:59:16 PM
At 7/12/2012 3:51:05 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Not really. I'm always the smart one :D :D :D

I have no idea how that feels. I've always been the funny one or the silly one. I would imagine it's quite burdensome >.>
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:06:43 PM
At 7/12/2012 3:49:56 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Hehe, inferno calling someone naive, predictable, and primitive garbage.

Hey, trolls gotta troll. Is inferno new to the site? I never saw him before. Trolls make things move.

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:10:54 PM
At 7/12/2012 4:08:09 PM, Kinesis wrote:
I don't have a friend like that. Which probably makes me 'that guy'. :( :(

Yeah, I really don't think it's a good idea to be "that guy". It makes for a lonely existence >.>

You get popular pretty quickly when you pass yourself off as stupid.

caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:20:51 PM
There's a certain level of idiocy that I will tolerate, but if someone passes that point I won't hesitate to strike them down. That said I also happen to be one of the "funny" ones in the group and can recall several occurrences of me consciously suppressing the urge to call people out.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:23:38 PM
At 7/12/2012 4:10:54 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 7/12/2012 4:08:09 PM, Kinesis wrote:
I don't have a friend like that. Which probably makes me 'that guy'. :( :(

Yeah, I really don't think it's a good idea to be "that guy". It makes for a lonely existence >.>

You get popular pretty quickly when you pass yourself off as stupid.

Yeah.. being a humble and likable person goes a long way.. anyone who constantly acts like they are a genius (even if they are) just needs to hang around with smarter people more often..

Per this topic, I have several friends who love to rant constantly about specific topics they are passionate about, but that when challenged on, they don't really know how to defend the position very well. But they keep ranting about it when given the chance, and it gets very annoying because they usually fail to defend it well when challenged. I now tell them if they want to prove that what they are asserting is fact, they had better be prepared to formally debate it on DDO... I'm still waiting for them to create an account. In the mean time, they don't go on and on repeatedly about these topics as often.
Debate.org Moderator
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:36:35 PM
At 7/12/2012 4:15:42 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Inferno has several identities on this site, including Alien, Interrogator, RoyalPaladin1, and Robot.

I don't know...a single one of those. I think I may have seen royalpaladin before...

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:37:26 PM
I've been in both roles at different times with different people. The problem is if people think you're the smart one they're quick to call you pretentious if they come into disagreement with you (even if you didn't mean to fill such a role). When you're the funny one it just means dismissal in serious discussions. Neither role is perfect and they both carry with them good and bad aspects.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:39:57 PM
I don't take BS from anybody. This led to royalpaladin blocking me.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:44:05 PM
At 7/12/2012 4:39:57 PM, MouthWash wrote:

LOL, stop whining. I wasn't giving you any b.s.; you were trolling me.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:44:28 PM

I realized that as you get older, success is highly dependent on your ability to take BS from people.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:44:59 PM
I don't have friends.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:48:33 PM
At 7/12/2012 4:44:28 PM, Kleptin wrote:

I realized that as you get older, success is highly dependent on your ability to take BS from people.

Ya, I know. Btw, do you see an empty post above your own? No? I guess it's just a site error.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:49:58 PM

Indeed. Professionally, and in ones personal life, having a decent threshold for dealing with, and tolerating BS, is entirely necessary.
Debate.org Moderator
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:51:52 PM
At 7/12/2012 4:48:33 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Ya, I know. Btw, do you see an empty post above your own? No? I guess it's just a site error.

Actually, it's kind of awkward, I'll show you what it says.

At 7/12/2012 4:44:05 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

LOL, stop whining. I wasn't giving you any b.s.; its just that i kinda have these feelings for you and it was a bad time in my life. iunno.

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:53:03 PM
At 7/12/2012 4:51:52 PM, Kleptin wrote:

LOL, stop whining. I wasn't giving you any b.s.; its just that i kinda have these feelings for you and it was a bad time in my life. iunno.

LOOOL
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:54:45 PM
At 7/12/2012 4:53:03 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

WTF R U TELLING HIM THAT FOR? I KNEW HE COULDNT SEE IT

Calm down. I didn't know you knew you blocked him. If you wanted to tell him, tell him yourself. Christ.

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:55:21 PM
Everything makes sense now.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:56:12 PM
At 7/12/2012 4:54:45 PM, Kleptin wrote:

WTF R U TELLING HIM THAT FOR? I KNEW HE COULDNT SEE IT

Calm down. I didn't know you knew you blocked him. If you wanted to tell him, tell him yourself. Christ.

I love you too!
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 4:57:48 PM

I block noone. And that is because I can take truth and that makes me strong.
Weak minds resort to tactics like blocking and running.
They have not guts and it is all self evident.
These clowns have yet to prove me wrong.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 5:00:09 PM

Yes, it's true.....I love you......

Marry me?

Royal!

What will Thett say!?!?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 5:01:16 PM
At 7/12/2012 4:57:48 PM, inferno wrote:

Even inferno looks down on you. LOL
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 5:01:43 PM
At 7/12/2012 4:57:48 PM, inferno wrote:

Those who are really strong have a history of being proven wrong time and time again. You temper iron in a flame, sir, not on a shelf.