Jump to topic:

Australs 2012 Topics

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 2:06:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just thought I'd give y'all a list of the topics we debated at the Australs competition during the eight rounds before the elimination rounds (Australs style has three topic per round, FYI). Topics marked with an asterisk are those my team argued (although it does not imply we affirmed the topic). These ought to be excellent practice material.

That we should ban eating contests
That sport leagues should not suspend players for off-field behaviour
That developing nations should not host international sporting events *
That the government should not receive revenue from gambling beyond standard taxation *
That we should require the disclosure of sexually transmitted diseases even if protection is used
That individuals should have to pass drug tests to receive welfare benefits
That employers should be allowed to discriminate based on lifestyle factors when hiring (such as smoking or obesity)
That doctors should be forced to perform medical procedures despite their beliefs *
That we should grant higher-level primates more rights than other animals
That governments should not fund reconstruction in areas prone to natural disasters *
That the European Union should create a common fiscal authority
That we should introduce a tax on financial transactions
That developing nations should prohibit families of current or former politicians from running for office
That we should make voting mandatory
That we should ban political campaign contributions *
That the state should provide incentives for individuals to grow their own produce and buy locally
That we should adopt a vegetarian diet
That we should celebrate the growth of the fat pride movement *
That the United States of America should impose tariffs on Chinese imports for currency manipulation *
That the United Nations should have a standing military force
That NATO should invite eastern block states as members
That we should criminalise prostitution *
That we should compel victims of domestic abuse to testify in court
That, where gay marriage is legal, religious institutions should be forced to conduct gay marriage ceremonies
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 4:55:10 AM
larztheloser wrote:
Yes - you get, as a team, 30 minutes to prepare three 8-minute speeches and one four-minute summary speech.

Interesting, are computers permitted?
How well did you team do?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 5:22:23 AM
No computers or other Internet devices are permitted.

Our team had some ups and downs. I think we ended up on three wins out of eight - our losses were to Monash (the team that ranked first), Victoria (x2), Sydney UT, and Otago, our wins were against Ateneo, Victoria and Macau. I was the 195th equal best speaker and 93rd best reply speaker, as well as the best overall speaker on my team. Yeah, I never do too well in internationals. The full tab is here: https://docs.google.com... (we were "Auckland 5")
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 5:27:09 AM
Hey, not bad. Auckland 1 did really well, are they the seniors from your school?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 5:54:35 AM
To be clear, it's a university. Josh is in my year, Ben's ancient, and Steph's a year or two above me. All three are amazing debaters who I really respect. Ben was disappointed because it's his last Australs. Two years ago, I remember an Auckland team with Steph in it made it to the grand final - this year they got knocked out in the Octo-Final.