Jump to topic:

Round-Robin Story Debate Tournament

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2012 9:36:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I personally don't think that there is enough story debates on this website. So, I want to create a story debate tournament.

To those who don't know, story debates are where individuals build a story together, and the side which builds the better parts of the story win. The voter considerers factors such as characterization, plot, prose, et cedera in order to discern which debater wrote better. From what I have read, this creates surprisingly amazing stories.

Examples include:
http://www.debate.org...
and

The way I want the tournament to be run is that this will have four people in it, and in the first round they will all debate each other twice as scheduled. Person A goes up against person B and person C goes up against person D, and then Person A goes up against person C and person B will go up against person D, until everyone has debated each other two times. Then, the two people with the best records (ties will be broken by whoever has their margins of victories) will debate each other in a championship. After that championship debate, the winner will be decided by whoever wins that debate.

I chose the round-robin style because I feel like it produces champions that are more worthy of being champions than say, a knockout system. However, the round robin system often makes tournaments longer, so I'll limit numbers for the tournament in order for this to go by quicker. But if the demand is strong enough, I will expand the number of people that will participate. I'll also eliminate the having to debate the same person twice if there is enough pressure.

A few miscellaneous things before I start:

Who debates who when will be decided randomly, and each person takes turns being instigator. As in: when Person A and Person B debate, the first debate Person A can instigate and the second being that Person B instigates.

I want to participate in this debate, but seeing if I administer the debate and participate in it will be a conflict of interest, I want to hand this over to somebody who knows what they are doing and will not participate in the tournament. I'll let the moderator decide the fine print of the debates.

The debaters will not vote on each other's story debates.

Although I am not saving spots, I do want TUF, KRFournier and Drafterman to participate.

Trolling will result in immediate replacement and forfeiture of the current debate.

Signups:
1. USM

Mod:

I hope to see some good debates! Good luck, and may the best debater win!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2012 10:02:00 PM
At 7/21/2012 9:36:06 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
I personally don't think that there is enough story debates on this website. So, I want to create a story debate tournament.

To those who don't know, story debates are where individuals build a story together, and the side which builds the better parts of the story win. The voter considerers factors such as characterization, plot, prose, et cedera in order to discern which debater wrote better. From what I have read, this creates surprisingly amazing stories.

Examples include:
and

The way I want the tournament to be run is that this will have four people in it, and in the first round they will all debate each other twice as scheduled. Person A goes up against person B and person C goes up against person D, and then Person A goes up against person C and person B will go up against person D, until everyone has debated each other two times. Then, the two people with the best records (ties will be broken by whoever has their margins of victories) will debate each other in a championship. After that championship debate, the winner will be decided by whoever wins that debate.

I chose the round-robin style because I feel like it produces champions that are more worthy of being champions than say, a knockout system. However, the round robin system often makes tournaments longer, so I'll limit numbers for the tournament in order for this to go by quicker. But if the demand is strong enough, I will expand the number of people that will participate. I'll also eliminate the having to debate the same person twice if there is enough pressure.

A few miscellaneous things before I start:

Who debates who when will be decided randomly, and each person takes turns being instigator. As in: when Person A and Person B debate, the first debate Person A can instigate and the second being that Person B instigates.

I want to participate in this debate, but seeing if I administer the debate and participate in it will be a conflict of interest, I want to hand this over to somebody who knows what they are doing and will not participate in the tournament. I'll let the moderator decide the fine print of the debates.

The debaters will not vote on each other's story debates.

Although I am not saving spots, I do want TUF, KRFournier and Drafterman to participate.

Trolling will result in immediate replacement and forfeiture of the current debate.

Signups:
1. USM

Mod:

I hope to see some good debates! Good luck, and may the best debater win!

Sign me up!

Signups:
1. USM
2. YYW
Tsar of DDO
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 2:11:18 PM
Signups:
1. USM
2. YYW
3. MIG
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 2:30:15 PM
Signups:
1. USM
2. YYW
3. MIG
4. Spinko

Lol none of the people USM wanted.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 2:49:38 PM
At 7/22/2012 2:30:15 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Signups:
1. USM
2. YYW
3. MIG
4. Spinko

It's okay. As long as everybody is competent, as all of you are, I'm fine.

I guess that nobody wanted to be mod.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 2:51:08 PM
At 7/22/2012 2:49:38 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
Signups:
1. USM
2. YYW
3. MIG
4. Spinko

I'll volunteer to be the mod, sir.:)

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 2:56:12 PM
At 7/22/2012 2:51:08 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Signups:
1. USM
2. YYW
3. MIG
4. Spinko

Sure. I have no experience, so I'll let a person who has experience do this.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 2:58:57 PM
At 7/22/2012 2:56:12 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
Signups:
1. USM
2. YYW
3. MIG
4. Spinko

Eh, I have only slightly more experience. Slightly more.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 2:25:42 PM
At 7/22/2012 2:58:57 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/22/2012 2:56:12 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
Signups:
1. USM
2. YYW
3. MIG
4. Spinko

Eh, I have only slightly more experience. Slightly more.

So... when will this thing begin?
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 9:11:24 PM
At 7/24/2012 3:57:37 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:
If anyone needs to be replaced, I would love to participate. If I am needed to replace someone, please message me first.

Thanks.

Good to know.
Tsar of DDO
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 9:17:11 PM
At 7/24/2012 9:11:24 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/24/2012 3:57:37 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:
If anyone needs to be replaced, I would love to participate. If I am needed to replace someone, please message me first.

Thanks.

Good to know.

famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2012 4:47:02 AM
I guess I could mod this tournament if you guys need any help. It's just that I'll need to know you guys' preferred settings for the tournament and everything.

My previous story-writing debate tournament was a huge success at the beginning, but slowly started failing once competitors lost interest in the tournament altogether.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2012 11:02:14 AM
At 7/26/2012 10:50:56 AM, ishallannoyyo wrote:
When will this tournament start? And who am I replacing?

Thanks.

Well, USM seems to have been gone, but the tournament will be processing through a forum.

You were intended to replace Socialpinko, who dropped out after signing up for the round-robin tournament.

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 2:50:37 PM
At 7/29/2012 2:38:44 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:
So uh.....

When's this gonna start?

Soon. At least, according to MIG. I'm waiting for this to start as well, so I'm on the edge of my seat as well.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 5:19:53 PM
I did not know about this! Dangit! Is it too late to join? I was the winner of famers stroy tournament.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227