Jump to topic:

DDO Paradigm Shift

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2012 11:34:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've noticed that there's a tendency to change frame of mind in a certain direction when people spend time on DDO:

Politically --> Libertarianism
Ethically --> Nihilism/Relativism
Religiously --> Atheism/Agnosticism

It's fair to say that we question everything without feeling any bias or pressure to support any particular belief. Whereas in any public, face-to-face conversation, people would be more hesitant to say what they think, and more likely to conform, or water down the contrariety of their position. So, it would be fair to say that we currently have an ideal state of mind. Given that, what can we say about the beliefs we tend to veer into? Does it mean that Libertarianism and the others are actually objectively more rational than every other belief?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2012 11:49:11 PM
I do agree that people constantly question their own opinions, and listen to others. Thus, since DDO is for the most part heavily right wing libertarian, the drift is in that direction and so on.

I have become more libertarian since I joined DDO, and also moved from being a "social democrat" to more of a progressive, and am economically centrist.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2012 11:53:15 PM
My paradigm shift unfortunately isn't restricted to political spheres...I've never seriously entertained any political ideology, though there are still some germs of philosophical views that have been shaped and are currently being molded.

I would certainly agree that however some time on the site has led to the crystallization of some views, but wouldn't necessarily state of a fundamental overhaul since there were not that many convictions and beliefs preexisting in the first place.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 12:07:53 AM
Politically, the way I have observed is that DDO tends to move you downwards on the political compass but has not mass trend when it comes to left vs right.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 12:25:03 AM
At 7/21/2012 11:34:36 PM, 000ike wrote:
I've noticed that there's a tendency to change frame of mind in a certain direction when people spend time on DDO:

It's fair to say that we question everything without feeling any bias or pressure to support any particular belief. Whereas in any public, face-to-face conversation, people would be more hesitant to say what they think, and more likely to conform, or water down the contrariety of their position. So, it would be fair to say that we currently have an ideal state of mind. Given that, what can we say about the beliefs we tend to veer into? Does it mean that Libertarianism and the others are actually objectively more rational than every other belief?

Ehh, I disagree.

The more I read what others post the more I tend to support authoritarian government. I am not a moral nihilist, but I use nihilism to flush out pseudointellectual hogwash (whenever the urge so strikes me). And if anything, my faith in God has been strengthened for seeing the arguments either for or against god's existence. At first it irritated me to see people arguing about things they have no foundation to argue over (like the existence or nonexistence of God, or really anything metaphysical in general). Then, I was even so bold as to make a debate about the irreconcilability of faith and reason (that went well, lol). And now, I am probably the strongest calvinist I have ever been.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 12:25:44 AM
At 7/22/2012 12:25:03 AM, YYW wrote:

Ehh, I disagree.

The more I read what others post the more I tend to support authoritarian government. I am not a moral nihilist, but I use nihilism to flush out pseudointellectual hogwash (whenever the urge so strikes me). And if anything, my faith in God has been strengthened for seeing the arguments either for or against god's existence. At first it irritated me to see people arguing about things they have no foundation to argue over (like the existence or nonexistence of God, or really anything metaphysical in general). Then, I was even so bold as to make a debate about the irreconcilability of faith and reason (that went well, lol). And now, I am probably the strongest calvinist I have ever been.

Albeit I make room for the possibility that mine is a unique experience, lol.
Tsar of DDO
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 1:09:19 AM

Unless you're soicialpinko in terms of politics.
I don't know of many moving into an atheist position who weren't already there. A few people jumping all over the place with their religion.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike