Total Posts:75|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

A quick guide to deal with trolls

I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 10:21:44 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
This is just a quick guide to outline how to deal with trolls on DDO.

What is a troll?

A troll is often someone who uses the forums as a means to get attention. They can do this through several ways. One way is to pick a role which would cause the most attention to themselves (e.g. an extremist cause). They will often not adhere to logic and give fallacies to let you give them attention. Other time they will use attacks which are personal to a member or group. They will also create threads aggravating people to give them attention, or hijack threads and derail the conversation to focus on them.

In short a troll only seeks attention. This is how we will get on to our next point

So I've found a troll. How do I get rid of it?

As I said,a troll wants attention, and attention only. Therefore ignoring it is the common procedure. The more you deprave a troll, the more it shouts and screams for attention by hijacking increasing amounts of forums and threads, eventually stooping to personal insults. A troll doesn't go down without a fight.

The following steps should help:

- Do not respond to the troll.
- Do not acknowledge the trolls existence.
- Continue conversation as if the troll did not exist.
- Encourage others to do the same.

What about newbies? If I can't say the troll exists, how can I tell them to stop without "feeding" the troll?


There are two main way which should be combined to stop newbies form using trolls as a self-esteem boost.

1) Continue meaningful discussion regardless of the troll. Although this won't completely stop the newbies from taking pot shots at the troll and lighting it's flames, it will give them an alternative to the troll and keep them active on DDO.

2) Take the newbies aside and kindly ask them to not acknowledge the thread, and follow this guide.

The methods aren't working! The troll persists!

This isn't a magical step by step guide. The troll will take a while to dispose of. The longer a troll exists on a website, the longer he will persist before vanishing.

If you have waited a reasonable amount of time, then see how is the person "feeding" the troll. Asking them to stop and explain why the member you suspect be a troll is a troll

The moderators aren't doing anyhting, even though I've reported him multiple times :(!


DDO isn't known for it's over-active moderators. Unless the person in hand posts profanities and repeatedly uses abusive material against members, the moderators will let them be. The moderators have dawn a clear line, overstepping it probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

If the troll is using abusive material against members and the moderator isn't doing anything, use customer support [http://www.debate.org... Under Contact Us]. Should that fail, one of the older members could probably get in contact with him and outline the situation briefly.

Nothing is happening! It's time to take justice to the troll!

Doing this is simply "feeding" the troll. Although trolls are usually uncomfortable with an aspect about themselves which leads to them trolling, it is not wise to reveal that. You may get a laugh, as will other members but it will only determine the troll.

Vigilante justice rarely, if ever, works on a troll. The only way you can do your part is by ignoring the troll, getting others to do the same, and report the troll when he's stooped low enough to get attention.

I hope this will help eliminate any trolls on DDO
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
LightningRod
Posts: 29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 11:16:20 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Get on with your life, acknowledge this is the internet, and just do whatever you want.

Many people get completely worked up over what they perceive to be trolling. Really, though, it's best to understand that it's not a big deal. Internet forums aren't places worth getting excited about when they're "free of trolls." The best way to deal with any of this, then, is talk about what you want to talk about, and make sure that whatever you do, you're entertained–be it arguing with someone whom others might think a troll, or ignoring the troll.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 11:31:16 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Yes, Trolls just want attention. But a Troll will be rude and controversial just to get that effect. However, the troubles that has been here is not due to trolls, but to fanatical mentally instable nutcases. There is a big difference. They are controversial because the have cognitive problems and therefore are unable to entertain rational thoughts, but rarely rude unless forced to be.

However, it may very well be that even this type of person will go away if ignored, so it's worth a try. In any case, arguing with the nutcase is not going to help anyone. :-)
So prove me wrong, then.
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 11:35:16 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Score one reputation point for Lightning Rod. Very well put, sir.

Additionally, the main thesis of Panda's post is to not give trolls attention. Making posts like his is doing just that, and in a very big way. This is giving him much more attention than a single responce to idiocy ever could.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 11:48:31 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
1) It tells DDO members there is a troll

2) It tells them how to identify this troll

3) It tells them how to get rid of the troll.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 3:42:29 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I think that any person who argues that this is somehow ironic or self defeating needs to wake up. It's neither an original nor an astute observation to note that something that attracts attention to something that feeds on attention may not be a good idea.

To dismiss the existence of this topic on that reason, however, is the result of superficial understanding at best and outright ignorance at worst.

The troll we have populating the forum is well known and most people know not to address it. However, people still do, and these people are responsible for keeping the troll here.

Of these people, only a minority are veteran members. Most of them are fresh debaters looking for a challenge, looking to prove their salt and go up against what appears to be an easy target. They are attempting to prove their worth to other forum members and to themselves, without realizing that this endeavor will get them nowhere and just further leads to more and more spam on the site.

How are people supposed to know not to feed the troll, unless there is something telling them not to feed the troll? It's not as obvious as people think it is, and this particular troll doesn't seem like a troll at first, just like how sex offenders don't seem like sex offenders and thus, are forced to tell everyone in the area that they are indeed, sex offenders.

I'm sick of people coming up with half of an idea and complaining when the other half doesn't match up to their standards.

I personally approve of this thread and don't see the reasoning behind those who do not.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 4:01:36 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Kleptin,

As long as there are seemingly organized groups (there aren't, but to the troll there are) then he can feel like the center of attention at the site. This was the same problem we had with Josh. The more we made posts and signatures about both of them, the more entrenched they become.

These posts give him more attention than anything that a few new users have given him.

Do as I do. Ignore him... and I mean actually ignore him. Don't make posts about him, don't talk about how much of a nuisance he is - he eats all that up and loves it. Just go on reading and responding to the forum posts that you find interesting. Don't respond to the ones you find lacking in substance. You'll feel better for it. You'll enjoy your time more.

Eventually you will forget he is even still around.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 4:29:27 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'm giving that a try now, JBlake, but I lack faith in other people.

Moreover, the topics I used to find enjoyable are being taken over the troll, and by people who insist on arguing with the troll.

While ignoring is an excellent suggestion in theory, it's getting nearly impossible to do in practice.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 5:42:51 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Oh.. the irony! (panda has had more puppet accounts that ANY other DDO member)

Is it possible that you are all SO EGOTISTICAL that you (honestly and truly) perceive anyone who doesn't back down from your grade school/pseudo intellectual bullying tactics as being a Troll?
The Cross.. the Cross.
LightningRod
Posts: 29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 9:01:48 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I don't know if you're referring to me, Kleptin, but my opinion is that "trolls" aren't a big deal, and that some people sometimes find them funny, and some people sometimes find them annoying. They are, by virtue of being internet posters, easy to ignore. Therefore, if you find them annoying, then ignore them. If you're in a mood where you want to mess around a bit, then do so. Personally, I find the repetitive "don't feed the troll" and "please, a troll-less Debate.org!" posts annoying. Just do whatever you want–that's the mentality more people need to have.

I don't know why you're actually having trouble enjoying threads in which DATCMOTO posts. Just relax a bit–not meant to be hostile, I'm just saying. Some people like to converse with him, so ignore those posts and focus on what you want.
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 9:33:25 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
It isn't so much the content of his posts, Lightning Rod. The worst part is that he derails every single topic in the religion forum. This prevents others from having a meaningful discussion there.

But I'm with you on the relax and enjoy yourself part. I just know where those opposed to him are coming from.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 3:54:39 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/2/2009 9:01:48 PM, LightningRod wrote:
I don't know if you're referring to me, Kleptin, but my opinion is that "trolls" aren't a big deal, and that some people sometimes find them funny, and some people sometimes find them annoying. They are, by virtue of being internet posters, easy to ignore. Therefore, if you find them annoying, then ignore them. If you're in a mood where you want to mess around a bit, then do so. Personally, I find the repetitive "don't feed the troll" and "please, a troll-less Debate.org!" posts annoying. Just do whatever you want–that's the mentality more people need to have.

I don't know why you're actually having trouble enjoying threads in which DATCMOTO posts. Just relax a bit–not meant to be hostile, I'm just saying. Some people like to converse with him, so ignore those posts and focus on what you want.

You've been here for a week. Try going on the forums and arguing with the troll for a couple months, then come back and bring this issue up with me again and I bet you'll change your mind. If you have any other disagreements, LR, please contact me by PM before we go on some mindless argument about the troll. That's something that neither of us wants.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
LightningRod
Posts: 29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 8:27:23 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I've been here for far longer than a week. And I have been on another forum before.

That statement about "arguing with him for months" is exactly what I'm talking about. Why do you keep it up for so long if it annoys you?

Anyway, yes, if you don't care to get into any argument then we can just leave it here.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 10:49:52 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/3/2009 3:54:39 AM, Kleptin wrote:
At 9/2/2009 9:01:48 PM, LightningRod wrote:
I don't know if you're referring to me, Kleptin, but my opinion is that "trolls" aren't a big deal, and that some people sometimes find them funny, and some people sometimes find them annoying. They are, by virtue of being internet posters, easy to ignore. Therefore, if you find them annoying, then ignore them. If you're in a mood where you want to mess around a bit, then do so. Personally, I find the repetitive "don't feed the troll" and "please, a troll-less Debate.org!" posts annoying. Just do whatever you want–that's the mentality more people need to have.

I don't know why you're actually having trouble enjoying threads in which DATCMOTO posts. Just relax a bit–not meant to be hostile, I'm just saying. Some people like to converse with him, so ignore those posts and focus on what you want.

You've been here for a week. Try going on the forums and arguing with the troll for a couple months, then come back and bring this issue up with me again and I bet you'll change your mind. If you have any other disagreements, LR, please contact me by PM before we go on some mindless argument about the troll. That's something that neither of us wants.

But if you'd have argued with me for a couple of months and then I'd left DDO in defeat (as usually happens for you) we wouldn't be having this conversation or this thread..
It's ONLY because YOU lost for once that this whole troll campaign began.. simply because you are extraordinarily BAD LOSER. Period.
The Cross.. the Cross.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 12:01:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/3/2009 8:27:23 AM, LightningRod wrote:
I've been here for far longer than a week. And I have been on another forum before.

Other forums =/= DDO. To some extent.


That statement about "arguing with him for months" is exactly what I'm talking about. Why do you keep it up for so long if it annoys you?

At first it was self-esteem at cheap shots. Soon it became repetitive and annoying, and then the troll just wouldn't shut up. Kleptin's idea regarding ignoring the troll was largely unsuccessful due to the fact people just couldn't resist. Particularly newcomers. I personally fell it has dragged on for too long, without a serious solution to the situation.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 1:29:45 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/3/2009 12:01:20 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/3/2009 8:27:23 AM, LightningRod wrote:
I've been here for far longer than a week. And I have been on another forum before.

Other forums =/= DDO. To some extent.


That statement about "arguing with him for months" is exactly what I'm talking about. Why do you keep it up for so long if it annoys you?

At first it was self-esteem at cheap shots. Soon it became repetitive and annoying, and then the troll just wouldn't shut up. Kleptin's idea regarding ignoring the troll was largely unsuccessful due to the fact people just couldn't resist. Particularly newcomers. I personally fell it has dragged on for too long, without a serious solution to the situation.

*Panda has THE most puppet accounts on DDO.. he has been banned before for trolling.. EVERYONE (including his highness kleptin) thought it hillarious.. PLEASE do NOT buy this self righteous, delusional claptrap*
The Cross.. the Cross.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 1:36:43 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
The only multi-account I ever created was one entitled Mrs.Datcmoto, which was stupid and childish. I regretted it the second I was banned to this day. I guarantee this is the only account I have, unless there's magical proof I'm somehow an insomniac who's a computer genius.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 1:43:38 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/3/2009 1:36:43 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
The only multi-account I ever created was one entitled Mrs.Datcmoto, which was stupid and childish. I regretted it the second I was banned to this day. I guarantee this is the only account I have, unless there's magical proof I'm somehow an insomniac who's a computer genius.

"I regretted it the second I was banned"

Not EVEN 'when I was caught'..
BUT when 'I was banned'..

You can't make it up.. you really can't.
We simply MUST trust every word this guys says. Period.
The Cross.. the Cross.
LightningRod
Posts: 29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 4:09:08 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Regardless, I've been here for quite a while.

Ignoring someone is not an idea. It is something you do, and when others choose not to ignore the person, you ignore those posts also.

It's mentally weak to require others to ignore someone for you to be able to ignore that someone.
ToastOfDestiny
Posts: 990
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 4:10:59 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Thanks for this post, panda. I didn't have raging clue about what to do about...wait...*sniffs*...I smell...troll!
At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
Our demise and industrial destruction
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Only exists in your head, as already shown.

At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
reveal why you answer with a question mark
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Because it was a question.

RFDs Pl0x:
http://www.debate.org...
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 5:40:13 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/3/2009 4:09:08 PM, LightningRod wrote:
Regardless, I've been here for quite a while.

Ignoring someone is not an idea. It is something you do, and when others choose not to ignore the person, you ignore those posts also.

It's mentally weak to require others to ignore someone for you to be able to ignore that someone.

If it's going to continue with Panda, I might as well take part >.> I've been looking for a place to clear up all the misconceptions so it might as well be here.

I don't care how long you've been here. You're not demonstrating the knowledge necessary to pass judgement on the situation, as there are quite a few variables that you fail to take into account in taking your general experience and applying it to this case. You have a superficial and oversimplified view of things, which can be illustrated by your very own words:

"when others choose not to ignore the person, you ignore those posts also."

This is why I emphasized your lack of experience with the religion forum, as well as your lack of experience in dealing with DATCMOTO, and how that was responsible for our disagreement.

Click on the religion forum and take a look at the column showing the last poster in each topic. Now click onto the second page. Then the third page. Do you notice anything?

Each and every discussion hits a dead end because someone decides to engage the troll in a meaningless, several-page-long argument , and realizes too late that they were arguing with a troll. This discussion drowns out all other discussion from people trying to ignore the troll because the troll is almost always on. Even if we ignore the troll and post something outside his current engagement, he will respond to that and when others see that he is the "last poster", they will instinctively avoid the thread.

Simply put- Because there is no warning that DATCMOTO is a troll, a chain of events occurs that yields the following outcome:

Either talk to DATCMOTO, or the thread ends.

So please, if you don't understand the intricacies, ask before you pass such hasty judgement. It undermines the attempts that many have taken in trying to deal with the troll. You've thought of it before, so have we. Please stop insulting our intelligence by generalizing the issue and offering unproductive "advice".
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 5:50:19 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/3/2009 5:40:13 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 9/3/2009 4:09:08 PM, LightningRod wrote:
Regardless, I've been here for quite a while.

Ignoring someone is not an idea. It is something you do, and when others choose not to ignore the person, you ignore those posts also.

It's mentally weak to require others to ignore someone for you to be able to ignore that someone.

If it's going to continue with Panda, I might as well take part >.> I've been looking for a place to clear up all the misconceptions so it might as well be here.

I don't care how long you've been here. You're not demonstrating the knowledge necessary to pass judgement on the situation, as there are quite a few variables that you fail to take into account in taking your general experience and applying it to this case. You have a superficial and oversimplified view of things, which can be illustrated by your very own words:

"when others choose not to ignore the person, you ignore those posts also."

This is why I emphasized your lack of experience with the religion forum, as well as your lack of experience in dealing with DATCMOTO, and how that was responsible for our disagreement.

Click on the religion forum and take a look at the column showing the last poster in each topic. Now click onto the second page. Then the third page. Do you notice anything?

Each and every discussion hits a dead end because someone decides to engage the troll in a meaningless, several-page-long argument , and realizes too late that they were arguing with a troll. This discussion drowns out all other discussion from people trying to ignore the troll because the troll is almost always on. Even if we ignore the troll and post something outside his current engagement, he will respond to that and when others see that he is the "last poster", they will instinctively avoid the thread.

Simply put- Because there is no warning that DATCMOTO is a troll, a chain of events occurs that yields the following outcome:

Either talk to DATCMOTO, or the thread ends.

So please, if you don't understand the intricacies, ask before you pass such hasty judgement. It undermines the attempts that many have taken in trying to deal with the troll. You've thought of it before, so have we. Please stop insulting our intelligence by generalizing the issue and offering unproductive "advice".

And what about 'the devil'?

No MORAL OUTRAGE?

No OUTCRY?

No, because as I've stated on many occasions you LOVE TROLLS.
Especially when they are directed against me.
I seriously do not know how you look yourself in the mirror. I really do not.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 6:01:27 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
There's no need for any outcry in the case of this other troll. This is a troll that is easy to identify and thus, one that is easy to starve. Thus, there is no reason to worry about TheDevil, because it is relatively harmless.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 6:09:16 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/3/2009 6:01:27 PM, Kleptin wrote:
There's no need for any outcry in the case of this other troll. This is a troll that is easy to identify and thus, one that is easy to starve. Thus, there is no reason to worry about TheDevil, because it is relatively harmless.

As stated, you have nothing against trolls at all.
You only refer to me as a troll because I am not one and you hope to elicit an emotional reaction by 'patronizing me'.

I've seen you coming from the start.. THAT'S WHAT YOU HATE ABOUT ME.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 6:36:48 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/3/2009 6:09:16 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 9/3/2009 6:01:27 PM, Kleptin wrote:
There's no need for any outcry in the case of this other troll. This is a troll that is easy to identify and thus, one that is easy to starve. Thus, there is no reason to worry about TheDevil, because it is relatively harmless.

As stated, you have nothing against trolls at all.
You only refer to me as a troll because I am not one and you hope to elicit an emotional reaction by 'patronizing me'.

I've seen you coming from the start.. THAT'S WHAT YOU HATE ABOUT ME.

No, you are a troll. You're just a troll who feeds in a sneakier way. This troll blabs nonsense to get attention, *you* blab nonsense to get attention. It's just that this troll says things which are obviously stupid, whereas your stupidity takes a few posts to discover.

It's like Tylenol or Paracetamol for you brits.

You're an extended-release troll. TheDevil is a fast acting troll.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 6:50:56 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/3/2009 6:36:48 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 9/3/2009 6:09:16 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 9/3/2009 6:01:27 PM, Kleptin wrote:
There's no need for any outcry in the case of this other troll. This is a troll that is easy to identify and thus, one that is easy to starve. Thus, there is no reason to worry about TheDevil, because it is relatively harmless.

As stated, you have nothing against trolls at all.
You only refer to me as a troll because I am not one and you hope to elicit an emotional reaction by 'patronizing me'.

I've seen you coming from the start.. THAT'S WHAT YOU HATE ABOUT ME.

No, you are a troll. You're just a troll who feeds in a sneakier way. This troll blabs nonsense to get attention, *you* blab nonsense to get attention. It's just that this troll says things which are obviously stupid, whereas your stupidity takes a few posts to discover.

It's like Tylenol or Paracetamol for you brits.

You're an extended-release troll. TheDevil is a fast acting troll.

You ONLY have LIES.. I'm smart so you call me stupid.. I've integrity so you call me a troll..
My face and my name and my beliefs are ALL there for the world to see.. I've nothing to hide from anyone.
Which makes YOU, technically speaking.. MUCH closer to a troll than I.

Toodle pip.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 7:35:38 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/3/2009 6:50:56 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:
You ONLY have LIES.. I'm smart so you call me stupid.. I've integrity so you call me a troll..
My face and my name and my beliefs are ALL there for the world to see.. I've nothing to hide from anyone.
Which makes YOU, technically speaking.. MUCH closer to a troll than I.

Toodle pip.

I don't mean to lie. I'm sure you're smart in some ways, but when I call you stupid, I'm really only referencing the few ways in which you actually are stupid. Surely you won't state that you're smart in every single way, would you?

And no, a troll can have integrity in some ways, and not have integrity in other ways. You are a person with a lot of integrity in many aspects of your life. A very minuscule part of your life though, a nearly insignificant portion, the tiny part that has to do with debating and posting on this forum though, you have no integrity there.

You probably have plenty of integrity elsewhere in day to day life. Church, friends, the wife that you used to have but who now divorced you, etc. You must have plenty of integrity elsewhere. I'm just not seeing it here.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 7:48:25 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
the wife that you used to have but who now divorced you, etc.

Is this true? Considering you've made it quite clear how important family is to you, this is a bit below the belt wouldn't you say Kleptin?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
LightningRod
Posts: 29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 9:17:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/3/2009 5:40:13 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I don't care how long you've been here. You're not demonstrating the knowledge necessary to pass judgement on the situation, as there are quite a few variables that you fail to take into account in taking your general experience and applying it to this case. You have a superficial and oversimplified view of things, which can be illustrated by your very own words:

"when others choose not to ignore the person, you ignore those posts also."

This is why I emphasized your lack of experience with the religion forum, as well as your lack of experience in dealing with DATCMOTO, and how that was responsible for our disagreement.

Click on the religion forum and take a look at the column showing the last poster in each topic. Now click onto the second page. Then the third page. Do you notice anything?

Each and every discussion hits a dead end because someone decides to engage the troll in a meaningless, several-page-long argument , and realizes too late that they were arguing with a troll. This discussion drowns out all other discussion from people trying to ignore the troll because the troll is almost always on. Even if we ignore the troll and post something outside his current engagement, he will respond to that and when others see that he is the "last poster", they will instinctively avoid the thread.

Simply put- Because there is no warning that DATCMOTO is a troll, a chain of events occurs that yields the following outcome:

Either talk to DATCMOTO, or the thread ends.

So please, if you don't understand the intricacies, ask before you pass such hasty judgement. It undermines the attempts that many have taken in trying to deal with the troll. You've thought of it before, so have we. Please stop insulting our intelligence by generalizing the issue and offering unproductive "advice".

First of all, stop trying to look smart by making statements like "I don't care how long you've been here."

You said that I can't know because I haven't been here long. Well, yes, I have. If you still think I don't know, then that's OK, but don't pretend as if I was trying to arrogantly make a point–the only reason I said that I have been here long is because your specific point was that I don't know because I'm new.

Second, I have been to the forum. To put it bluntly, you seem to be mentally weak. There is no such thing as a dead end on an internet forum. It should not be difficult, no matter what (and it isn't, in this case) to simply ignore DATCMOTO's posts. It really isn't. Man up.

Third, even if you find it difficult to ignore his posts, why do they bother you so much? This is the internet. I don't know how many times I can say that. Lighten up.