Jump to topic:

An Odd But Effective Proposal

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 5:15:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Occasionally some dishonest activity will occur on DDO. Namely, vote bombing.

I assert that there is an interesting way, based on psychology, to diminish vote bombing and other dishonest activity on the site.

Create a watching eye. That being an imagine of an eye ball placed in parts of the site where dishonest activity is likely to occur.

There are studies which suggest a high correlation between the appearance of a watching figure and the honesty of people. In this study, people who were asked to pay with an honor system were three times more likely to pay with the picture of eyes than without.
http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org...

Dually, I suggest there be a statement of code of conduct placed along-side this eye where people must check a box to designate that they agree with the code of conduct before voting. The institution of taking an oath also has a highly positive effect on honesty. I know there's a study on this concerning everyone that I've read before but the only one I could locate was this one concerning 8-16 year olds. Still, the effect was that they were eight times more honest.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

If this proposal is implemented, I except the rate of vote bombing on the site to drop dramatically.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 5:20:12 PM
You mean like those terms and conditions I don't read?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 5:29:02 PM
At 7/28/2012 5:20:12 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

No. A statement separate from the terms and conditions. Short and simply stating one will vote honestly, then requiring an agreement box be checked before voting. Similarly, there would be one for debates that say the arguments are not plagiarized.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 5:30:21 PM
At 7/28/2012 5:29:02 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/28/2012 5:20:12 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

No. A statement separate from the terms and conditions. Short and simply stating one will vote honestly, then requiring an agreement box be checked before voting. Similarly, there would be one for debates that say the arguments are not plagiarized.

That wouldn't work.

Now days, people check and bubble things all the time without reading a single character of what they're agreeing to.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 5:38:02 PM
The eye thing might have worked if you hadn't told everyone that you purposefully want to psychologically manipulate them with it.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 5:50:43 PM
At 7/28/2012 5:38:02 PM, Wnope wrote:
The eye thing might have worked if you hadn't told everyone that you purposefully want to psychologically manipulate them with it.

The people who read this thread are a very small amount of people compared to everyone who votes.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 5:56:26 PM
At 7/28/2012 5:52:16 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The eye idea is interesting... if not a little creepy.

We should go ahead and put it at the top of every page on DDO.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 6:01:48 PM
At 7/28/2012 5:56:26 PM, FREEDO wrote:

I wonder if there are studies which figure out the Comfort level of people who are faced with Prying eyes..

and studies which figure out if there's some correlation between time spent on websites in leisure time.. and how comfortable a person is there...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 6:12:26 PM
At 7/28/2012 6:01:48 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 7/28/2012 5:56:26 PM, FREEDO wrote:

I wonder if there are studies which figure out the Comfort level of people who are faced with Prying eyes..

and studies which figure out if there's some correlation between time spent on websites in leisure time.. and how comfortable a person is there...

lol, I was joking.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 1:28:00 PM

It also needs to me an animated eye, that is designed to look at wherever your cursor is. Though I imagine people might start playing with it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:31:02 AM
There should be a quiz on the TOS that randomly occurs and if you tab out it blocks access for an hour.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush