Jump to topic:

Round Robin Story DebateT Round 1

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 2:56:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
And so comes the beginning of our shared experiences in this tournament. But let us go over some of the provisions, rules, issues of regulations. I should also note that fellow moderators and members of the tourney are allowed to pre-offer advice and lend their counsel in a three-day period following the inauguration.

The tournament will proceed in the round-robin structure, which may be summarized as proceeding as individuals, charged with the need to fashion stories individually by virtue of their craftsmanship and skill (which will be the chief marks by which voters should judge) across the course of the debate, will face each other repeatedly. In the first round, members will debate each other twice (as scheduled).

I initiated a bit of a standard (instead of using ELO scores) and asked our members to give numbers from one to a hundred as a way to rank them and determine the debate pairs. YYW offered 7, followed by a 41 from Ishallannoyyo, a 42 from USM, and finally a 66 from me (in sequential order); as a result, if we were to take a sequential order of the results--and arrange them into pairs for the first half of the round, YYW woudl debate Ishallannoyyo, and USM would be my first opponent.

Whether or not we can at least agree to another fair standard to allow which member (remember that, in adhering to USM's plans, "Who debates who when will be decided randomly, and each person takes turns being instigator. As in: when Person A and Person B debate, the first debate Person A can instigate and the second being that Person B instigates").
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 2:56:25 PM
Now for a few notes...please do not post yet. :-)

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 2:59:10 PM
And the moderator(s) are USM (optional), myself, and Famer (also optional).

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 3:08:32 PM
1. Voting. YYW asked me about this--in regards to the issue of fair voting across debates; I remember speculating on forming some sort of panel of judges or allowing voting within the small community which the debate tourney is entrusted to...but found it unfeasible since the structure of the tournament significantly limits the number of debates we can vote on (only on those where one is not involved in), and perhaps forming some confederation of judges would be a bit troublesome...in the wake of summer, with vacations, lapses of time outside of the community, etc, and especially--and essentially, at this time, it is perhaps safe to say that a panel would not be too reliable...and may add some duress and pressure to moderation here.

As a result, if you are ever vote-bombed or are indeed quibbling about some vote, or are faced by some shortage of votes...please contact external means--threads, friends, etc; considering both the restrictive structure of the tourney and the imposed rule of no inter-voting in the tournament, external means are only the true option. That is all for that matter.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 3:54:25 PM
2. A small note on the voting: since DDO leaves votes often compartmentalized into different areas, those areas will be correlated with those of craftsmanship and skill:

1. Conduct is only reserved for members who choose not to either adhere to the rules imposed by the debater, forfeits, trolls and harangues his opponent, and so forth. Note that this story tournament may include twists or not, depending on the whims of the debaters.
2. Spelling and grammar should only be rewarded to another opponent if one side displays noticeably poor spelling and grammar (in other words a conspicuous difference).
3. Arguments-There is a subjective nature as to who made the better arguments, but both debaters AND voters should beware that this is essentially where one decides on who did the better job in crafting the story--in creating a literary world, imbuing his characters with basic or complicated humanity, geared the story forward, and even entertained the audience. (Note that the latter is contingent on the type of the debate; voters should list whatever factors that colored their perceptions of the debate sides of the stories).
4. Sources-This is where one actually decides on who exhibited the better craftsmanship and writing skills--in other words--the best prose, wording, command of the language and flourish. This skill is not all to be confused with storytelling; surely a member can tell good stories but that does not at all correlate with his writing skills or the maturity of such a skill.
-Adapted with some modifications from TUF and KRFournier's debate: http://www.debate.org...

Instigators or the contender should include this in the first round as a standard. :-)

Oh, and USM is now a mod/co-mod and he will be helping me. :-)

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 4:04:38 PM
3. The round-robin structure of the debate, used to give a fair advantage at least to members who wish to champion their skills, to let the mundane and the romantic, the worldly and heavenly, into their writing.

Here is the schedule of the entire tourney with marks set as well as some notes: (courtesy to USM for providing the schedule for me)
Round one.
YYW vs Nono
USM vs MiG

YYW vs USM
Nono vs MiG

YYW vs MiG
Nono vs USM

Round two.
Nono vs YYW
MiG vs USM

USM vs YYW
MiG vs Nono

MiG vs YYW
USM vs Nono

Championship round
: Two contestants will be eliminated on the basis of the trajectory and record; the other two will face off as the premier members of the tourney in a final debate. There will be restrictions and limits for that debate and expectations that are slightly different from those subject to the other two rounds.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 4:10:25 PM
Finally a few miscellaneous notes: I will be imposing one-to-two day intervals between each period within an interval.

The story of the debate is not restricted by an virtues of whatever creativity; you may use whatever you want as long you are able to channel it through skill, invest some twists or perhaps indicate some general turn of the story, use sources from folklore, adopt stories from movies, and so forth. There is an entire literary world from which you may profit...in being its creator, within your works.

I have made all my notes now...Let the discourse begin, then. :-)

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 5:07:17 PM
Question: shall the R1 of our debates be for confirmation, or for the starting of our stories?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this!
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 5:11:10 PM
So do we just start a story debate and challenge the person directly?

Is YYW an abbreviation?

Who instigates, YYW because he picked the lower number or me because I picked the higher number?

Thanks a lot!
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 5:17:26 PM
At 7/29/2012 5:14:53 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:
At 7/29/2012 5:12:49 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 7/29/2012 5:11:10 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:
Is YYW an abbreviation?

http://www.debate.org...

Thanks, so do I instigate?

Screw it, I'll instigate.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 5:19:16 PM
So do we just start a story debate and challenge the person directly?
Until after everyone's questions are answered.

Who instigates, YYW because he picked the lower number or me because I picked the higher number?
Hmmm....That may depend. I will most likely let the debate pair choose who to instigate..after some discourse between the two of you. :-)

Thanks a lot!
No problem. :-)

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 5:26:48 PM
At 7/29/2012 5:20:11 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:
A lot was not covered I think, how long should the voting period be? How many rounds? How many characters?

Well, I'll answer that now: the debates should be four to five rounds long, with 8000 characters in each round. I would say that the voting period should be no less than 2 weeks, and indeed the time between each argument should be 72 hours (3 days).

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 5:27:13 PM
At 7/29/2012 5:19:16 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Hmmm....That may depend. I will most likely let the debate pair choose who to instigate..after some discourse between the two of you. :-)

I personally think that the person with the lower number instigates.
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 5:27:56 PM
At 7/29/2012 5:26:48 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
A lot was not covered I think, how long should the voting period be? How many rounds? How many characters?

Well, I'll answer that now: the debates should be four to five rounds long, with 8000 characters in each round. I would say that the voting period should be no less than 2 weeks, and indeed the time between each argument should be 72 hours (3 days).

Thanks! After each round (after I finish debating YYW), should I just post in this forum and await the next comment on my wall telling me the next round is starting?
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 5:31:44 PM
At 7/29/2012 5:27:13 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

Too late, I just instigated it.

Oops.

+=.=
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 5:32:48 PM
At 7/29/2012 5:27:56 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:
At 7/29/2012 5:26:48 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Thanks! After each round (after I finish debating YYW), should I just post in this forum and await the next comment on my wall telling me the next round is starting?

There will be a day after the first two debates are done and the second half after the debates have been settled and done. I'll be sure to announce it and let everyone know when it starts. :-)

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 5:34:06 PM
At 7/29/2012 5:31:44 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:

Too late, I just instigated it.

Oops.

+=.=

Okay. Then YYW will instigate next round. No biggie.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 5:35:24 PM

Hmmm...Okay, then. I'll agree to that, though following only a very brief discussion on the nature of the story.

ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 6:26:44 PM
At 7/29/2012 5:35:24 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Hmmm...Okay, then. I'll agree to that, though following only a very brief discussion on the nature of the story.

Oh, I just put it so the person who doesn't instigate chooses a topic, and then the instigator kicks off the story in R2, is that OK?
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 6:30:16 PM
At 7/29/2012 6:23:10 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
So... shall we discuss our stories in a PM or shall we instigate without regard of our opponent?

I will be creating individual Pms for discussion.

I will also update additional information gleaned from our discussion. :-)

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 6:36:36 PM
First round will be for acceptance. That is all.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 6:41:09 PM
I am deeply disturbed and irrevocably insulted that I was not invited to this grandiose gala of fable fabrication, story spinning, and tale telling.

In other words: why the fvck did no one tell me?!
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 6:44:38 PM
At 7/29/2012 6:41:09 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I am deeply disturbed and irrevocably insulted that I was not invited to this grandiose gala of fable fabrication, story spinning, and tale telling.

It was up about a week ago, and it filled up. I, as the creator of this, will let you be a replacement if anybody needs replacing.

I didn't tell you mainly because I don't tell people about stuff.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 8:54:28 PM
At 7/29/2012 6:41:09 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Grandiose gala? You should consider this a mere exposition on the regulations that underline the underpinnings of this tourney, sir!!

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 10:52:29 PM
At 7/29/2012 10:50:01 PM, TUF wrote:
Since it's too late to join, can I be a judge in this?

You may be a constant voter, but there is no formal group of judged..yet.