Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Leaderboard updated

Add Post
Forum Moderator

7/30/2012 11:00:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hey guys,

16kadams led me to discovering that the leaderboard has not been updating daily as it was supposed to. I manually ran the script that was supposed to be running automatically and it is now updated.

Thank you 16kadams!

Nate
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 11:03:35 AM
Damn, thought ELO was in place at first!

But thanks. That's been happening since I first joined this site.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
nate.DDOqa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 11:08:53 AM
At 7/30/2012 11:03:35 AM, phantom wrote:

We will fix the auto-update issue.

Additionally, last week, I developed an algorithm for a modified ELO ranking system for DDO. We are still testing it but hopefully in the near future you will see it implemented.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 11:10:19 AM
At 7/30/2012 11:00:45 AM, Forum Moderator wrote:
Hey guys,

16kadams led me to discovering that the leaderboard has not been updating daily as it was supposed to. I manually ran the script that was supposed to be running automatically and it is now updated.

Thank you 16kadams!

Nate

Accidental for the most part too :P
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
nate.DDOqa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 11:14:54 AM
At 7/30/2012 11:08:53 AM, nate.juggleqa wrote:

Additionally, last week, I developed an algorithm for a modified ELO ranking system for DDO. We are still testing it but hopefully in the near future you will see it implemented.

The current leaderboard will not be removed. We are thinking of having two separate leaderboards.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 11:16:23 AM
At 7/30/2012 11:14:54 AM, nate.juggleqa wrote:

The current leaderboard will not be removed. We are thinking of having two separate leaderboards.

I like this.

And two percentiles on a profile I presume.
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 11:20:48 AM

Awesome! And I agree with having two leaderboards.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 11:24:51 AM
To be honest, not sure if the "two leaderboards" thing is necessary, but ELO would be great.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 11:26:57 AM
At 7/30/2012 11:24:51 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
To be honest, not sure if the "two leaderboards" thing is necessary, but ELO would be great.

Why not?
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 11:38:43 AM
At 7/30/2012 11:26:57 AM, 16kadams wrote:

Why not?

I agree with SH, cause ELO is more accurate and overall just better.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 11:50:24 AM
At 7/30/2012 11:40:03 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Because people aren't comfortable with 16k at the top?

shudders
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:11:20 PM

My position bums up with elo
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:11:36 PM
At 7/30/2012 12:11:20 PM, 16kadams wrote:

My position bumps up with elo
nate.DDOqa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:17:37 PM

We are going to have two separate leaderboards.

I will give you a very basic outline of the algorithm I created and I appreciate your thoughts and opinions. The following values and scores are not necessarily how it will be set up, they are just means to show an example that people can understand without getting too technical. Also this is our own version of a modified ELO. A standard ELO would not be practical on DDO.

Everyone starts out at the same score let say rank 50

If two people that have the same score (within one point) play each other the value of a win loss will be a plus/minus 4 Points

If two users debate with two different scores (one high and one low) and the HIGHER rank wins the value of points won for the winner with HIGHER rank and lost for the loser with LOWER rank will be LESS than 4 depending on how different the scores are (based on my equation that we are still testing).

If two users debate with two different scores (one high and one low) and the LOWER rank wins the debate the value of points won for the winner with LOWER rank and lost for the loser with HIGHER rank will be MORE than 4 depending on how different the scores are.

Scores will be calculated like this with x = points won/lost in debates
(I don't believe the 'plus' sign works in comments/threads so a 't' will be substituted for the 'plus' sign).

50 + (x1 + x2 + x3 + ... + xn)/n
nate.DDOqa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:18:25 PM
At 7/30/2012 12:17:37 PM, nate.juggleqa wrote:

I will give you a very basic outline of the algorithm I created and I appreciate your thoughts and opinions. The following values and scores are not necessarily how it will be set up, they are just means to show an example that people can understand without getting too technical. Also this is our own version of a modified ELO. A standard ELO would not be practical on DDO.

If two people that have the same score (within one point) play each other the value of a win loss will be a plus/minus 4 Points

If two users debate with two different scores (one high and one low) and the HIGHER rank wins the value of points won for the winner with HIGHER rank and lost for the loser with LOWER rank will be LESS than 4 depending on how different the scores are (based on my equation that we are still testing).

If two users debate with two different scores (one high and one low) and the LOWER rank wins the debate the value of points won for the winner with LOWER rank and lost for the loser with HIGHER rank will be MORE than 4 depending on how different the scores are.

(I don't believe the 'plus' sign works in comments/threads so a 't' will be substituted for the 'plus' sign).

Wow the plus sign did work, disregard the '(I don't believe the 'plus' sign works in comments/threads so a 't' will be substituted for the 'plus' sign).'
nate.DDOqa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:21:38 PM

Additionally we are considering the ELO ranking system to be based on a certain time period. So only debates from the current date the ranking is shown back to a certain time period (say 3-6 months) will be considered in the new system.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:45:32 PM

OK, I was just thinking out loud, and implying "I wonder who'll use the normal debate leaderboard to claim they are a better debater now..."
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 4:27:35 PM

I think you just use OreEles formula. It's what we've all been advocating and probably what everyone would want.