Jump to topic:

Editing your own forum posts

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 4:55:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I saw Ren say something about this, and was wondering what the popular concensus is for it?

I personally see pro's and con's to doing it.

One pro would be that I am always accidently submitting typo's, because I didn't re-read over anything before I posted.

Another is that sometimes I lose my temper and go balistic crazy in the mafia games, and later resent doing so as it ruins my reputation.

But both of those are things I can control prior to posting so I am not sure those reasons are good enough to add the update.

I would personally vote NO for it because it would screw up the mafia games. If any scumtell was made by a mafioso, it would be really easy to fix it later and dis-credit FOS.

Thoughts?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 5:05:20 PM
I'd like to be able fix my typos. Maybe a half hour grace period in which we can edit our own posts?

But that cannot apply to the Mafia forum.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 5:50:07 PM
I think it was an agreeable.solution to have editable post be an option made by the thread creator when the thread was made.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 7:48:09 PM
At 7/30/2012 5:53:28 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Nah.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 7:49:42 PM
I could post something, someone would respond. Then I could go back, change it and say that it never happened.

It would be bad policy to do this. Just deal with your typos. Who cares?

This would cause a whole host of credibility issues.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 7:57:05 PM
I know Yahoo Answers isn't the greatest of sites, but i think we could borrow one aspect of it to solve this problem of thinking you could change what you said without anyone knowing. When you edit an answer there, it says "edited (# of hours, days, weeks, months, etc.) ago". So that we can compare it with the timestamps calling out scumtells, we could possibly change that to a thing at the bottom that says "edited at (time)". Then everyone would know that it was edited and when. Maybe an option to make earlier versions of the post viewable?
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 8:34:49 PM
At 7/30/2012 7:54:17 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
At 7/30/2012 7:48:09 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Nah.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 8:37:04 PM
At 7/30/2012 8:34:49 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/30/2012 7:54:17 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
At 7/30/2012 7:48:09 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Nah.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 8:39:36 PM
At 7/30/2012 8:26:56 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I make my share of typos, but editing posts would allow too much mischief. Better to leave it.

I would certainly agree; quarrels over former statements, assertions, points of discussion may be made confusing with constant re-editing of former posts to simply dodge accusations and to nullify such. And then there's mafia..
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 8:45:30 PM
First of all, anybody who is against this clearly has never been on a forum where it is allowed. Absolutely nothing wrong happens from it, and everybody is much, much happier. When I go on other forums I constantly use the editing feature. Don't believe me? Just go to another forum and see. When editing a little notice should be made under the post saying when it was last edited and mods should have access to previous versions.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 8:47:30 PM
inb4 someone shouts "mafia" at me. Read drafterman's post before riding in on your little horsies.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 9:59:48 PM
At 7/30/2012 8:45:30 PM, MouthWash wrote:
First of all, anybody who is against this clearly has never been on a forum where it is allowed. Absolutely nothing wrong happens from it, and everybody is much, much happier.

Right. At freeratio.org, we have two hours to edit our own posts. The only bad thing that happens---if you can even call it a bad thing---is that we look less stupid.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 11:42:34 PM
The Fool: very good idea.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 11:44:05 PM
At 7/30/2012 8:26:56 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I make my share of typos, but editing posts would allow too much mischief. Better to leave it.

The Fool: so what kinds of examples of mischiefs did you have in mind. ??
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 11:44:59 PM
At 7/30/2012 4:55:54 PM, TUF wrote:
I saw Ren say something about this, and was wondering what the popular concensus is for it?

I personally see pro's and con's to doing it.

One pro would be that I am always accidently submitting typo's, because I didn't re-read over anything before I posted.

Another is that sometimes I lose my temper and go balistic crazy in the mafia games, and later resent doing so as it ruins my reputation.

But both of those are things I can control prior to posting so I am not sure those reasons are good enough to add the update.

I would personally vote NO for it because it would screw up the mafia games. If any scumtell was made by a mafioso, it would be really easy to fix it later and dis-credit FOS.

Thoughts?

The Fool: it doesn' have to be in all in games forums. Fixed.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 11:51:41 PM
The Fool: so what are the mischifias examples. Any ideas????
Seconldy, Its not like is must be perminent . We can experiment.. test things out. If there problems take it off. There is only a possiblity of Gain. Does anybody have good arguments against it. It doesn]t have to be in Games forums. And we could have an experimental Trial... you know.. test it out first. What possible benifits does it have to anybody messing things Up. Does anybody have examples of possible mayhem. ??
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 12:33:47 AM
At 7/30/2012 7:54:36 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
Just quote yourself and fix whatever you need to fix.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 7:15:50 AM
At 7/30/2012 5:50:07 PM, drafterman wrote:
I think it was an agreeable.solution to have editable post be an option made by the thread creator when the thread was made.

Yes. This is precisely what I thought. Some threads can be general, while others can be uneditable.

And, to reply to Wiploc's post, I suggested the grace period, too. ^_^
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 7:16:24 AM
At 7/30/2012 7:54:36 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
Just quote yourself and fix whatever you need to fix.

Dude, that is so annoying and it causes clutter. It will be nice to clean things up a bit by getting rid of correction and +1 posts.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 7:18:52 AM
At 7/30/2012 7:49:42 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I could post something, someone would respond. Then I could go back, change it and say that it never happened.

It would be bad policy to do this. Just deal with your typos. Who cares?

This would cause a whole host of credibility issues.

I completely disagree.

I used to be a member of a hip hop site that frequently hosted battles (and general arguments). So, of course, there was incentive to do that there, too. However, when you edit your posts there, you're compelled to write a reason for the edit; then, a tag is left on the posts indicating that it was edited.

That alleviated such circumstances rather effectively.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 7:19:15 AM
At 7/30/2012 7:57:05 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
I know Yahoo Answers isn't the greatest of sites, but i think we could borrow one aspect of it to solve this problem of thinking you could change what you said without anyone knowing. When you edit an answer there, it says "edited (# of hours, days, weeks, months, etc.) ago". So that we can compare it with the timestamps calling out scumtells, we could possibly change that to a thing at the bottom that says "edited at (time)". Then everyone would know that it was edited and when. Maybe an option to make earlier versions of the post viewable?

^^^^ exactly.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 7:21:01 AM
First of all, anybody who is against this clearly has never been on a forum where it is allowed. Absolutely nothing wrong happens from it, and everybody is much, much happier. When I go on other forums I constantly use the editing feature. Don't believe me? Just go to another forum and see. When editing a little notice should be made under the post saying when it was last edited and mods should have access to previous versions.

Fvcking thank you. Geez.

I mean, all it would do is improve the site. You guys are really against progress, because people might misbehave? People are inclined to misbehave anyway. I mean, it's hilarious that the first person to say no was FREEDO, when he makes a habit of screwing with the site's HTML.

Really, all you're doing is placing all the power in those with special knowledge about scripting.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 7:22:26 AM
At 7/30/2012 9:59:48 PM, wiploc wrote:
First of all, anybody who is against this clearly has never been on a forum where it is allowed. Absolutely nothing wrong happens from it, and everybody is much, much happier.

Right. At freeratio.org, we have two hours to edit our own posts. The only bad thing that happens---if you can even call it a bad thing---is that we look less stupid.

I don't think it's fair, if someone were judged based on a misclick or a typo. Or, an idea that they immediately saw a weakness in and decided to detract to circumvent such judgment. I mean, really, every single whim must be etched in stone? It would drive the best writers absolutely insane.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 7:23:16 AM
The Fool; I say we push forward into the generation!!! innovation!!! And Adaptation.!! Creation.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 9:38:10 AM
The debates have to be un-editable too. But the forums---not including the Mafia forum, should be editable for a grace period.