Jump to topic:

Why are you really on DDO?

Axiom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 12:52:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Okay, so we know this is a debate site, right? But why are you here? Do you simply enjoy to debate? Are you preparing your mind for college? Are you looking for answers? Are you looking to refute religion ? Are you simply interested in, if you are interested in philosophy? Do you just like arguing? Why put so much time and effort into something with seemingly no reward? (I am saying there is a reward, but what is it for you?)
WHY?WHY?WHY?

For example: I am on DDO as part of a prepartion for my Philosophy major in College. I am learning to debate more effectively in the hope that I can go on to Law School.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 12:59:38 PM
At 7/31/2012 12:52:39 PM, Axiom wrote:
Okay, so we know this is a debate site, right? But why are you here? Do you simply enjoy to debate? Are you preparing your mind for college? Are you looking for answers? Are you looking to refute religion ? Are you simply interested in, if you are interested in philosophy? Do you just like arguing? Why put so much time and effort into something with seemingly no reward? (I am saying there is a reward, but what is it for you?)
WHY?WHY?WHY?

For example: I am on DDO as part of a prepartion for my Philosophy major in College. I am learning to debate more effectively in the hope that I can go on to Law School.

It's for the free beer.
Tsar of DDO
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 1:00:48 PM
Similar reasons, really. Practising debating, learning more about philosophy and politics, and discussion these ideas critically.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 1:01:05 PM
And the Free Beer, of course.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 1:34:46 PM
Learning.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 1:38:27 PM
At 7/31/2012 1:37:43 PM, drafterman wrote:
I'm collecting humans for my data experiments.

I can confirm this.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 1:41:14 PM
DDO is a place for me to come to for entertainment value. Mafia is more fun than any video game I can play. Since I started playing mafia avidly, I haven't played an xbox game in like 9 months.

Also I like to debate, and learn other peoples opinions and views, which have changed a lot of mine.

I am no longer the mormon conservative boy I was when I joined this site almost 4 years ago.

I also find this place being a vast entity for creativity. I have loved doing writers debates, and reading them, voting on philosophical issues, etc.

FUN FUN FUN.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 1:43:32 PM
Mafia
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 2:14:52 PM
It has secret magic
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 2:25:04 PM
WHY?WHY?WHY?

The Fool: but are you a philosopher who is seekign knowledge or are you looking to confirm the believe you have already . If you are not ready to give up your believes the moment you have been logically refuted. You are certainly no philosopher.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 2:31:00 PM
At 7/31/2012 2:14:52 PM, 16kadams wrote:
It has secret magic

Is it... DANCE MAGIC???????????
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Axiom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 3:21:28 PM
At 7/31/2012 2:25:04 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
WHY?WHY?WHY?

The Fool: but are you a philosopher who is seekign knowledge or are you looking to confirm the believe you have already . If you are not ready to give up your believes the moment you have been logically refuted. You are certainly no philosopher.

Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.[1][2] Philosophy is distinguished from other ways of addressing such problems by its critical, generally systematic approach and its reliance on rational argument.[3] The word "philosophy" comes from the Greek φιλοσοφία (philosophia), which literally means "love of wisdom".[4][5][6]

People refute others logically all the time on this site, and then a better debator will come around, argue the same point and achieve the opposite result. So I'd contend that if you ARE "ready to give up your beliefs the moment you have been logically refuted" without reubuttal or further research, then you are a fool. And foolishness is the opposite of wisdom, and if philosophers are pursuers or lovers of wisdom, then the person who does what you suggest is no philosopher.
I'd further add that philosophers can have faith and philosophers can believe something that is not true (obvious by the fact that there are philosophers who believe opposite sides of an issue which can only have one answer.)
OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 4:23:16 PM
To learn.

From a Scandinavian point of view there is a number of things that don't make sense about different culturs. Like. . . Why don't all Americans just love Obama? What is the deal about those gunlaws O.o

This is a great place to look and learn.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 4:32:55 PM
At 7/31/2012 4:23:16 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
To learn.

From a Scandinavian point of view there is a number of things that don't make sense about different culturs. Like. . . Why don't all Americans just love Obama? What is the deal about those gunlaws O.o

Because he's the dumbest man to ever occupy the White House
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 4:33:17 PM
I wanted a place to debate people in a less formal way, and more radically, than in real-life debate.

Also: it's DDO, man. Casual, discussion-based, intelligent (for the vast majority of people), and fun fun fun.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 4:35:15 PM
At 7/31/2012 4:33:17 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I wanted a place to debate people in a less formal way, and more radically, than in real-life debate.

Also: it's DDO, man. Casual, discussion-based, intelligent (for the vast majority of people), and fun fun fun.

It really is an intelligent community. A step up from the normal nimrods who occupy regular life.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 4:54:34 PM
At 7/31/2012 3:21:28 PM, Axiom wrote:
At 7/31/2012 2:25:04 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
WHY?WHY?WHY?

The Fool: but are you a philosopher who is seekign knowledge or are you looking to confirm the believes you have already . If you are not ready to give up your believes the moment you have been logically refuted. You are certainly no philosopher.

Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.[1][2] Philosophy is distinguished from other ways of addressing such problems by its critical, generally systematic approach and its reliance on rational argument.[3] The word "philosophy" comes from the Greek φιλοσοφία (philosophia), which literally means "love of wisdom".[4][5][6]

People refute others all the time on this site, and then a better debator will come around, argue the same point and achieve the opposite result.

The Fool: If you think these statements are true. Then you have no conception of logic. You are confusing Truth value with debate value. Logic is of truth value. in the sense that 1+1=2 Debate value is of Sophism, use of Oratory and creative language mixed with ideology and inspirational expressions. What every wil move the masses.

http://www.debate.org...#
So I'd contend that if you ARE "ready to give up your beliefs the moment you have been logically refuted" without reubuttal or further research, then you are a fool.

The Fool: So far you are not credible on the contending part. What is you other option?/

And foolishness is the opposite of wisdom, and if philosophers are pursuers or lovers of wisdom, then the person who does what you suggest is no philosopher.

The Fool: yes well I do claim to be the fool.

I'd further add that philosophers can have faith and philosophers can believe something that is not true (obvious by the fact that there are philosophers who believe opposite sides of an issue which can only have one answer.)

The Fool: Thanks for the education. I could always use more outsite. But the philosopher is not on OF FAITH. But of knowledge. True justified believe. And by justified I mean rationally. of logical. justification.

The Fool: Sorry I mean 'Philosopher' is the rational lover of wisdom. . By what ever dictionary that take the common use of the word in general amoung non-philosopher alike.
I am refering particular to someone who uses the method of Rational Skeptical Inquiry, into knowledge. which is more inline with the orginal Greek meaning of philosopher. Not the completly manipluted, distorted ambigious modern version. Where Anybody anywhere at any time is a philosopher, including 'cats' and ' 'Dogs' version. A definition is only as good as it Demarcats a difference. At least to the philosopher I am talking about. LOL>
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 4:56:41 PM
At 7/31/2012 4:35:15 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

It really is an intelligent community. A step up from the normal nimrods who occupy regular life.

The Fool: yes well, I have not spent much time in America. but I could see what you would think that, considering the Fundemanism and failing education system and all.
OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 5:27:46 PM
At 7/31/2012 4:32:55 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
To learn.

Exactly what I don't get. Understand me right. I don't care if the American president is democrat or republican. They are both conservative to me, but Obama seems like a great president. He have been able to turn around the economie, created lots of jobs and other countries listen to and want to work eith you again. He hardly seems to be the dumbest man to occupy the White House.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 5:35:21 PM
At 7/31/2012 5:27:46 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
To learn.

Exactly what I don't get. Understand me right. I don't care if the American president is democrat or republican. They are both conservative to me, but Obama seems like a great president. He have been able to turn around the economie, created lots of jobs and other countries listen to and want to work eith you again. He hardly seems to be the dumbest man to occupy the White House.

He has created no jobs.
Our economy is about to fall back into recession.
Construction and Housing industries are worst in history.
Worker participation is lowest in history.
Debt is higher than we've ever had.

He's destroyed relationships with Israel and Great Britain.

Please don't act like you know what you're talking about if you don't know the situation in America.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 5:36:21 PM
At 7/31/2012 4:35:15 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

lol. Probably this ^
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 5:59:31 PM
At 7/31/2012 5:35:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
To learn.

He has created no jobs.
false
BS
false
false
hey! You got one!

false

Please don't act like you know what you're talking about if you don't know the situation in America.
Sapere Aude!
OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 6:03:50 PM
At 7/31/2012 5:59:31 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
At 7/31/2012 5:35:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
To learn.

He has created no jobs.
false
BS
false
false
hey! You got one!

false

Made another thread so we don't hijack this one.