Jump to topic:

40,000 characters in a single round

ADT_Clone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 6:36:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just wondering whether this is possible or is it an exploit. For an 8000 character limit debate, my opponent somehow managed to make a 40,000 character argument:

http://www.debate.org...

Seems odd to me, regardless I'll only need the 8000 characters, but it feels a bit unfair that he was able to pretty much post a debates worth of content in one round. :P
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 9:12:33 AM
At 8/1/2012 9:08:30 AM, 16kadams wrote:
Wow

Indeed.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 9:33:07 AM
talk about a major glitch! How do you do that?
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Axiom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 9:55:46 AM
At 8/1/2012 6:36:29 AM, ADT_Clone wrote:
Just wondering whether this is possible or is it an exploit. For an 8000 character limit debate, my opponent somehow managed to make a 40,000 character argument:

Seems odd to me, regardless I'll only need the 8000 characters, but it feels a bit unfair that he was able to pretty much post a debates worth of content in one round.

For the sake of fairness, voters should only read the first 8,000 characters of that round. Now how did he do that?! :D
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 11:06:43 AM
Easy
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 11:07:37 AM
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 2:41:56 PM
Dude, please don't post this. Else Juggle will remove it.

You type it out (not on the website) then go into rich text and paste it in the box. I'm pretty sure that's how it's done.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 2:43:02 PM
At 8/1/2012 2:41:56 PM, MouthWash wrote:

You type it out (not on the website) then go into rich text and paste it in the box. I'm pretty sure that's how it's done.

Almost. After you paste it in rich text you have to switch it back to normal text. Then it will post.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 2:44:21 PM

And that is absolutely retarded.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 2:58:33 PM
Why? They've becoming more interested in the site recently...
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 4:34:46 PM
At 8/1/2012 2:43:02 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Almost. After you paste it in rich text you have to switch it back to normal text. Then it will post.

I am going to do this with all of my debates >;-)
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
nate.DDOqa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 4:58:14 PM
At 8/1/2012 4:38:43 PM, TUF wrote:
YES! I have figured it out!

I'm sorry to say we will be fixing this glitch. However we are considering making the max char length longer.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 5:04:30 PM
At 8/1/2012 4:58:14 PM, nate.juggleqa wrote:

I'm sorry to say we will be fixing this glitch. However we are considering making the max char length longer.

See, isn't this just what I warned you about?
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 5:21:28 PM
At 8/1/2012 5:04:05 PM, nate.juggleqa wrote:
At 8/1/2012 5:01:44 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
Use it while you can, people!

The only reason we are fixing the glitch is because it is not fair to users who do not know how to break the code. Like I said above Mike the developer and I were talking today about changing the current character limitation to one greater.

It was a joke ;) But yes, the character limit should be greater, around 12000 or similar.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 5:33:27 PM

For whatever it's worth I think that is a bad idea. Part of the skill of debating is in making your point succinctly as possible to avoid putting your readers to sleep. 8,000 character rounds already do this in many cases, longer rounds will only make it worse. Most debaters (particularly new ones) only focus on their own perspective not the readers and thus are more likely to select and utilize the longer limits. As a result unnecessarily long debates will be far more common.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 5:56:50 PM
At 8/1/2012 5:33:27 PM, Double_R wrote:

For whatever it's worth I think that is a bad idea. Part of the skill of debating is in making your point succinctly as possible to avoid putting your readers to sleep. 8,000 character rounds already do this in many cases, longer rounds will only make it worse. Most debaters (particularly new ones) only focus on their own perspective not the readers and thus are more likely to select and utilize the longer limits. As a result unnecessarily long debates will be far more common.

I have to dis-agree with you. I think their should at least be an option to allow more character that can be set my the debate creator, that way for trials and tournament debates, debaters can go into more exclusive detail at their own leisure.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 6:05:17 PM
40,000 character debates are stupid and remain stupid. The debate itself is presented poorly, and it makes arguments worse. A good argument takes a minute a point. 14 pages means an hour long speech. Unless you're Clarence f**king Darrow, you don't get away with these things.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 6:08:00 PM
At 8/1/2012 6:05:17 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
40,000 character debates are stupid and remain stupid. The debate itself is presented poorly, and it makes arguments worse. A good argument takes a minute a point. 14 pages means an hour long speech. Unless you're Clarence f**king Darrow, you don't get away with these things.

I don't think I have ever seen you swear. I always held you to be a highly sophisticated debater, in debates, and in the forums.

I think it's funny!
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 6:37:20 PM
I think that there should "levels" that you can achieve depending on how many debates you have won. For instance, perhaps the higher levels can go beyond the character limit since they would understand how to put points more succinctly.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 7:43:12 PM
At 8/1/2012 5:04:30 PM, MouthWash wrote:

See, isn't this just what I warned you about?

I think you failed to consider that people would have wanted this bug to be fixed.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 7:46:06 PM
This bug will be fixed. In the meantime, members who exploit it are clearly displaying poor debate conduct.
Debate.org Moderator