Jump to topic:

Notable Quotable

ReganFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 9:37:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.
John F. Kennedy,

Lets discuss
Do you like Mudkips?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 10:11:03 PM
A quote which means nothing. Society as such does jack diddly squat for anyone. :).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 1:49:33 AM
" You will always have the poor with you, and you can help them any time you want to. " ~Jesus Christ.
The Cross.. the Cross.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 8:03:15 AM
Worst quote ever:

"Unemployment is due to the large import of goods from Britain and other countries. The Government haven't used the powers which they have for the benefit of the country." - Eamon De Valera.

God I hate De Valera.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
ReganFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 8:48:45 AM
At 9/5/2009 8:03:15 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Worst quote ever:

"Unemployment is due to the large import of goods from Britain and other countries. The Government haven't used the powers which they have for the benefit of the country." - Eamon De Valera.

God I hate De Valera.

How is that the worst quote ever the higher the export of a country the more employment?

And JFK's speech was the best thing i have ever heard come out of a Liberal, he speaks so forcefully of service to your country something that I too place great importance in.
Do you like Mudkips?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 8:55:19 AM
At 9/5/2009 8:48:45 AM, ReganFan wrote:
At 9/5/2009 8:03:15 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Worst quote ever:

God I hate De Valera.

How is that the worst quote ever the higher the export of a country the more employment?

Read up on 1920's - 1940's Ireland. De Valera and other Anglophobes engaged in a devastating (For Ireland) economic war. Ireland relied very heavily on imports, as we do nowadays, but in terms of Multinational corporations. He made this to go with the "Burn everything British but their coal" mentality.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 9:16:31 AM
I thought De Valera was a ledgend. I don't know if this is true, but I heard that the English offered him the 6 counties back if Ireland went to war for them, and he turned it down and then went and signed Hitlers book of condolences. That could just be some bullsh*t someone filled me with along the way though.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 9:19:39 AM
At 9/5/2009 9:16:31 AM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:
I thought De Valera was a ledgend. I don't know if this is true, but I heard that the English offered him the 6 counties back if Ireland went to war for them, and he turned it down and then went and signed Hitlers book of condolences. That could just be some bullsh*t someone filled me with along the way though.

That's all true. The only credit I can I've him is the fact he defended Ireland's neutrality, was ready to defend the nation at all costs and fought for independence.

However, he was an anti-modernist, pro-Catholicism and isolationist.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 9:22:50 AM
At 9/5/2009 9:19:39 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

That's all true. The only credit I can I've him is the fact he defended Ireland's neutrality, was ready to defend the nation at all costs and fought for independence.

Well some form of a stand had to be made against the English in fairness. Pride bud.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 9:41:40 AM
At 9/5/2009 9:22:50 AM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:

Well some form of a stand had to be made against the English in fairness. Pride bud.

The United Irishmen realised Ireland couldn't survive without England. Apparently De Valera thought, even though the English were a major part of our economy, it would be fine to let us enter a massive depression in "protest", whilst the British merely went elsewhere for the fewer resources Ireland no longer traded.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 9:46:44 AM
At 9/5/2009 9:41:40 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

The United Irishmen realised Ireland couldn't survive without England. Apparently De Valera thought, even though the English were a major part of our economy, it would be fine to let us enter a massive depression in "protest", whilst the British merely went elsewhere for the fewer resources Ireland no longer traded.

What would you have done?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 10:03:31 AM
At 9/5/2009 9:46:44 AM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:

Improved economic relations with England. If someone puts you in a headlock, and releases you, punching them only puts you in the headlock again.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 10:45:07 AM
At 9/5/2009 10:03:31 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Improved economic relations with England. If someone puts you in a headlock, and releases you, punching them only puts you in the headlock again.

So your the sort that just lets himself be bullied?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 10:50:27 AM
At 9/5/2009 10:45:07 AM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:

No, I'm the sort you rationally knows when he can't win the fight, or it would be a pyrrhic victory, it's better to befriend the possible opponent.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 11:09:34 AM
At 9/5/2009 10:50:27 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

No, I'm the sort you rationally knows when he can't win the fight, or it would be a pyrrhic victory, it's better to befriend the possible opponent.

See thats your problem. Its not about winning, and theres nothing wrong with a pyrrhic victory. Its all about letting them know that your not gona take sh*t. Take the fella putting you in a headlock for instance, if you just let him get away with it, hes probably going to continue putting you in headlocks whenever he meets you, but if he has you in a headlock and you get out of it and break his nose then hes going to leave you alone. You'll probably get a bad beating there and then but your not going to get put in any headlocks any time soon. What problems have Ireland had with the England since De Valera?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 11:37:04 AM
At 9/5/2009 11:09:34 AM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:

See thats your problem. Its not about winning, and theres nothing wrong with a pyrrhic victory. Its all about letting them know that your not gona take sh*t. Take the fella putting you in a headlock for instance, if you just let him get away with it, hes probably going to continue putting you in headlocks whenever he meets you, but if he has you in a headlock and you get out of it and break his nose then hes going to leave you alone. You'll probably get a bad beating there and then but your not going to get put in any headlocks any time soon. What problems have Ireland had with the England since De Valera?

1) Ireland gained nothing from that economic war. England had plenty of other commonwealth/colonial allies to gain those resources from.

2) Things have happen. IRA, Omagh, UVF and The Troubles ring a bell?

3) Ireland has put in a headlock. It got out, and all it did was punch the bully in face, causing no damage and simply causing them no harm and aggravating the bully. By the luck of Ireland, one of it's ""friends comes along and starts being a d*ck, causing them to gang up on him. That guy then goes and shoots some pizzamen.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 11:48:08 AM
At 9/5/2009 11:37:04 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/5/2009 11:09:34 AM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:

1) Ireland gained nothing from that economic war. England had plenty of other commonwealth/colonial allies to gain those resources from.

2) Things have happen. IRA, Omagh, UVF and The Troubles ring a bell?

3) Ireland has put in a headlock. It got out, and all it did was punch the bully in face, causing no damage and simply causing them no harm and aggravating the bully. By the luck of Ireland, one of it's ""friends comes along and starts being a d*ck, causing them to gang up on him. That guy then goes and shoots some pizzamen.

1) It was, as you said, a pyrrhic victory.

2) All of those things had only to do with the Irish retaliating in the north. The English made no further advances into Ireland.

3) What? If you punch someone in the nose and it aggravates them, thats means they weren't too fond of the experience, and sure your going to get a beating at the time but they'll steer clear of you in future.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 12:47:02 PM
At 9/5/2009 11:48:08 AM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:

It may be pyrrhic, but no victory.

2) All of those things had only to do with the Irish retaliating in the north. The English made no further advances into Ireland.

Obviously, because of Irish-American relations, and the fact England couldn't keep Ireland under it's thumb if it wanted. Plus, they couldn't support Ireland financially.

3) What? If you punch someone in the nose and it aggravates them, thats means they weren't too fond of the experience, and sure your going to get a beating at the time but they'll steer clear of you in future.

We didn't punch them in the nose. It was more of a hissy fit followed by light banging on the chest.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 12:56:24 PM
At 9/5/2009 12:47:02 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Obviously, because of Irish-American relations, and the fact England couldn't keep Ireland under it's thumb if it wanted. Plus, they couldn't support Ireland financially.

We didn't punch them in the nose. It was more of a hissy fit followed by light banging on the chest.

Yeah but those were your examples of other "things" happening, but they were not caused by the English....The box into the nose helped.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 1:18:37 PM
At 9/5/2009 12:56:24 PM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:

Yeah but those were your examples of other "things" happening, but they were not caused by the English....The box into the nose helped.

Again, the economic war did Britain no harm.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 1:21:20 PM
At 9/5/2009 1:18:37 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

It wasn't meant to do them harm. It was meant to let them know that we did not intend to put up with their sh*t.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 1:28:42 PM
At 9/5/2009 1:21:20 PM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:

It wasn't meant to do them harm. It was meant to let them know that we did not intend to put up with their sh*t.

Thats the same as going up to a politician saying "I'm sick off you" and then shooting yourself in the foot
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 1:30:38 PM
At 9/5/2009 1:28:42 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Thats the same as going up to a politician saying "I'm sick off you" and then shooting yourself in the foot

Believe what you wish.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 1:33:01 PM
At 9/5/2009 1:30:38 PM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:

Believe what you wish.

You obviously then have a twisted view of the situation.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 1:38:18 PM
At 9/5/2009 1:33:01 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/5/2009 1:30:38 PM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:

Believe what you wish.

You obviously then have a twisted view of the situation.

Again, believe what you wish.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 2:17:33 PM
Another riveting exchange by two of our junior members..

Over 18s only DDO! Join the revolution..
The Cross.. the Cross.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 2:20:57 PM
At 9/5/2009 2:17:33 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Says the idiot.
idontbelieveit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 3:16:06 PM
At 9/5/2009 2:17:33 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:

I'm totskis 18!