Jump to topic:

Noob needs noobish help

maxx233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 9:08:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
First off, I just found DDO several hours ago. It's intimidating, but brilliant! I've longed for some way to have intelligent debate and, call me crazy, never thought I'd find that on the Internet of all places! ;)

I've read through some of the 'getting started' guides, but I'm either too tired at this point or I'm just stupid - I seem to have missed how to go about accepting a debate? I learned how to begin a new one, but not join one that's already been proposed. As a newbie, joining an existing debate would remove a significant layer of complication, so that's the route I hope take for a while.

Once that's resolved, my next question would be: is there a specific section for new debaters, or should I just look at a users previous debates and assume this site is the only debating experience they have?
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 9:17:32 AM
Go to accept and clock the big accept button in the upper middle between pro and con.

And this site is one of a kind :)
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 9:19:29 AM
At 8/9/2012 9:08:32 AM, maxx233 wrote:
First off, I just found DDO several hours ago. It's intimidating, but brilliant! I've longed for some way to have intelligent debate and, call me crazy, never thought I'd find that on the Internet of all places! ;)

I've read through some of the 'getting started' guides, but I'm either too tired at this point or I'm just stupid - I seem to have missed how to go about accepting a debate? I learned how to begin a new one, but not join one that's already been proposed. As a newbie, joining an existing debate would remove a significant layer of complication, so that's the route I hope take for a while.

Once that's resolved, my next question would be: is there a specific section for new debaters, or should I just look at a users previous debates and assume this site is the only debating experience they have?

Experience is irrelevant. To get good debate anyone as good debaters will influence your style, and bad debaters would eventually lead to worse skills. Just debate anybody and everybody. Many people (like me) have no debating experience and just do this for fun.
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 9:31:00 AM
At 8/9/2012 9:19:29 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 8/9/2012 9:08:32 AM, maxx233 wrote:

Experience is irrelevant. To get good debate anyone as good debaters will influence your style, and bad debaters would eventually lead to worse skills. Just debate anybody and everybody. Many people (like me) have no debating experience and just do this for fun.

I take issue with the bolded.

And (to the OP) unless someone specifically mentions they want a good debater, you ought to feel free to accept their debate.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
maxx233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 10:07:38 AM
Aha! I've found the "Accept" button you mention lol

I was looking at things fundamentally wrong. I was envisioning being able to browse debates by topic until I find one I think I can argue, and then accepting it. If I'm understanding right - there are currently 10 debates available to challenge, so no need to really categorize them? Just look through them and accept one?

I'll have to give it some consideration and hopefully accept something later tonight. Probably going to read through several more completed debates first though so I can hopefully get more comfortable with the format and general requirements :)
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 10:10:51 AM
At 8/9/2012 10:07:38 AM, maxx233 wrote:
Aha! I've found the "Accept" button you mention lol

I was looking at things fundamentally wrong. I was envisioning being able to browse debates by topic until I find one I think I can argue, and then accepting it. If I'm understanding right - there are currently 10 debates available to challenge, so no need to really categorize them? Just look through them and accept one?

I'll have to give it some consideration and hopefully accept something later tonight. Probably going to read through several more completed debates first though so I can hopefully get more comfortable with the format and general requirements :)

You can browse finished debates, ones in progress, and ones in open challenges change periodically. If you want to debate a specific person challenge them, and if you want a specific topic make a debate.

It's simple after day 1 when your on an Internet high looking at the site.