My Time At DDO - 15,000 Post Commemoration

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:10:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Spank me, oh Holy Jesus.

It's crazy to think I've actually made that many posts. That's a whole book or two.

Around half of those have to be one-liners. That's a lot of comedy material. I'll need to go over some of this stuff, as I'm an aspiring comedian.

Though, word for word, most of it is probably my half-sensical philosophical rants or political ideas.

And, of course, a great deal of it is spam. Like what I just did to reach my 15,000th already.

To commemorate the occasion, I'll have this short review of my experience here which is going on 3 years.

----------------------------------------

I came to DDO at 15 years old. A freshly converted Atheist and Objectivist from Conservative Christianity. My username was Freedomaniac.

The crowd I came into was many of the DDO legends.

The first post I ever made was in a thread titled "Libertarianism?":
"I already new that there was a much larger percentage of Libertarians as well as Atheists on the internet, but this website seems to be overwhelmingly populated by them.

I am a Libertarian Extremist."

I was indeed obsessively Libertarian when I joined. I sent friend requests to all the Libertarians I found. Not knowing that people don't add each other based on ideology here. I even un-added Cody_Franklin when I discovered he was "the resident Fascist". He's one of my best internet friends now.

I created two multi-accounts named Lovebite and ManPower. Lovebite featured a hot intelligent girl. (de javu, anyone?) The account became a beloved member of the community. ManPower featured a ultra-sexist-fascist. The account became a hated member of the community.

Then I was banned for multi accounting. DDO was my first forum and I hadn't read the ToS. I actually didn't know I could get banned for that.

I created a new account. FREEDO. I got the idea when belle first called me it for short. I also had to capitalize it to express my narcissism.

It is some time soon after that point that I discovered DDO was something really special for me. Had grown up in a highly closed-off environment; homeschooled. It's really a wonder that I changed paths so far from my roots even before I started using the internet. Now I suddenly had all the information I could handle. And from many different opposing perspectives. It profoundly changed me.

When I joined, as my name suggested, I expected my persona to be marked by my Libertarianism. As it turned out however, I quickly became known as the guy who changed his mind constantly. Especially on politics. I werz all ovah de placee. I recall a thread being made where members took bets on what my next ideology would be.

I also became known as the guy obsessed with Boxxy. I admit. It wore off.

I can affirmatively say that there is no external source, even among the hundreds of books that I've read, that has helped me grow more intellectually than DDO. I will always feel a sense of duty to it because of that.

At some point I posted a picture of a giant penis. This got me banned again. After speaking with the great dildo in sky who owned the site(I know you're still watching! Nobody ever liked you!), I was allowed to return after 30 days.

Returned. Did stuff n' stuff.

Then I left a third time. This time, actually of my own consent. I had left the internet all together for 2 months. Just as the internet changed me quickly, so leaving it must have. I had a lot of changes during those 2 months. Particularly in my general mind-set. I think it's entirely fair that I liked to play insane before those two months. And afterwards, I really was insane.

Lest I parish, I decided to return again.

Shortly afterwards, I was unanimously declared dictator by every single member of DDO. Reluctantly, I decided to abide your wishes and serve you gloriously unto this day.

I have learned. I have played. I have grown to love every one of you. I may take breaks from time to time but I don't see myself ever leaving DDO.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:21:12 AM
Welp. Looks like he found away to lower my count after all.

I just have nothing to say about that.

I still feel victorious.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 3:24:17 AM
Well, since I already admitted defeat, I won't go back now to get what I wanted. You are victorious, good sir! Let us both raise a glass and have a drink to the noble competition that we fought in.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 1:30:36 PM
At 8/12/2012 1:29:49 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
You complete me.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 6:24:41 PM
At 8/12/2012 1:30:36 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/12/2012 1:29:49 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
You complete me.

I complete me too.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 6:31:46 PM
I might do this when I hit 10,000.

Great post FREEDO; you were the first DDOian I added to Facebook and I think you're an extremely interesting and handsome man.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 6:41:47 PM
At 8/12/2012 6:31:46 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Great post FREEDO; you were the first DDOian I added to Facebook and I think you're an extremely interesting and handsome man.

Can I birth your babies?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 7:45:53 PM
At 8/12/2012 6:41:47 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 8/12/2012 6:31:46 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Can I birth your babies?

If you can be in Australia in early December you can come to the hospital...
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 11:58:25 PM
I think you probably joined during my hiatus, I was very active almost 5 years ago and then the excitement wore off and I spent a couple years barely using it at all. I checked back in at some point and they started requiring a cell phone to vote and my cell company was bare-bones and not compatible so I decided to wait another year till I changed to Verizon and finally was able to participate, just to find I wasn't really interested in the debates anymore because the forums were cooler and debating (at least successfully) takes an enormous amount of time that I really can't justify.

It's interesting to see the effect of this site on a 15-18 year old, as it obviously wasn't around when I was that age and I could only imagine how I would have been affected. When I was your age we had mIRC, which was about it, and was largely senseless chat, although the live component was a bit cooler.

It's cool that you have found a source of inspiration here... DDO represents a tiny fraction of the world - people that are not only disposed to intellectual pursuits, but who want to spend time exploring them actively with people they don't know in an extremely informal and indeed impractical setting. >90% of communication is lost in this format, because we have no tone of voice, no body language, and don't communicate real-time. It's really hard to find people willing to have these discussions without either being turned off by the limited format (as opposed to an actual conversation IRL) or else being intellectually overwhelmed by the rebuttals (hence why so few people are actually here). Some people can maintain groups of friends that are intellectual but I certainly can't, by 30 all my friends were long gone (save an occasional "buddy" to go out with or play tennis with).

I think that DDO is a special place and the scant few of us that populate it are what makes it that way. We kind of have to accept that the vast majority of us are transient and only a few will be constant through the years, I can count on one hand how many people I've seen continue to log-in since I began here. I wonder what quality it is about the regular members that keeps us coming back while 99% of people eventually lose interest permanently, and I also wonder why it is that so many of those that were very active at one point don't ever stop in to at least check it out once in a while. My best guess has to do with our ability to handle adversity because DDO is extremely adversarial and someone who is perhaps used to winning arguments IRL and on FB isn't going to get that satisfaction here, there is always someone there to cut you down and no matter how well you make your points you aren't going to get the last word. Those who are relentless in posting rebuttals only end up burning out and those really long exchanges don't really do anyone any good... kind of like hitting your head against the wall.

I would say you (FREEDO) are pretty good at "brushing it off" and that's probably why you're still here. The proud cannot survive on DDO. I think it takes faith to remain active as well. Sooo many times I've heard people complain about the "quality" at certain times, claiming the site is going down-hill because they weren't able to find a decent conversation. Um... why don't you make one yourself 9: You've got to have faith that interesting topics, interesting times will resurface and have the initiative to be that change you want to see in the dialogue.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.