Total Posts:41|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why are members ashamed of their beliefs?

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 7:36:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Maybe I've missed something in my on and off activity on DDO over the last 4 months. But why have so many members changed their affiliation in order to hide their views?

About two weeks before the July Quality Survey, there was a thread pointing out that there are more conservatives on DDO (DDO has had more right wing than left wing going back years). At that time, I was a little surprised that conservatives fought this statistic. But I suppose I can understand, it can lead to the view that conservatives win debates, not because they have better arguments, but because they have more voters. During the survey, there was a large plummet in the number of self reporting conservatives and a large surge in the number of "prefer not to answer."

Now, as I add up the DDO Personality Quiz, I'm noticing that many many liberals are now listed as "Moderates." In fact, of the 18 people that have down the test so far, none are calling themselves "liberal."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 7:39:38 PM
At 8/12/2012 7:36:44 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Maybe I've missed something in my on and off activity on DDO over the last 4 months. But why have so many members changed their affiliation in order to hide their views?

About two weeks before the July Quality Survey, there was a thread pointing out that there are more conservatives on DDO (DDO has had more right wing than left wing going back years). At that time, I was a little surprised that conservatives fought this statistic. But I suppose I can understand, it can lead to the view that conservatives win debates, not because they have better arguments, but because they have more voters. During the survey, there was a large plummet in the number of self reporting conservatives and a large surge in the number of "prefer not to answer."

Now, as I add up the DDO Personality Quiz, I'm noticing that many many liberals are now listed as "Moderates." In fact, of the 18 people that have down the test so far, none are calling themselves "liberal."

The demonizing of the word doesn't really help. And DDO does have a strong right-wing lean, which causes in general people to drift to the right. Myself included.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 7:41:02 PM
At 8/12/2012 7:39:38 PM, Contra wrote:

The demonizing of the word doesn't really help. And DDO does have a strong right-wing lean, which causes in general people to drift to the right. Myself included.

Really says something about the left, dosen't it...
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 7:41:14 PM

LIBERTARIAN lean, not conservative lean, Contra.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 7:41:30 PM

Yet when I read these members' posts in the politics thread, it seems that many of them are not drifting to the right but pushing further left in resistance to the right (as typically happens during political elections).
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 7:43:58 PM
At 8/12/2012 7:41:30 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Yet when I read these members' posts in the politics thread, it seems that many of them are not drifting to the right but pushing further left in resistance to the right (as typically happens during political elections).

Well... this applies to me... sort of. I'm a liberal Republican, or conservative Democrat... depending on the direction of the wind.
Tsar of DDO
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 7:44:20 PM

^ thats why Im listed as a moderate
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 7:44:26 PM
At 8/12/2012 7:41:14 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

LIBERTARIAN lean, not conservative lean, Contra.

Libertarian lean.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 7:45:08 PM

For example, if we look at the pictures on your profile, we see that the test seem to indicate a swing to the right, yet you post pictures like this.

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 7:47:05 PM
February 2012 (http://www.debate.org...)

June 2012 (http://www.debate.org...)

August 2012 (http://www.debate.org...)

There is a libertarian lean on DDO. There's my personal trend after I joined DDO.

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 7:47:11 PM
At 8/12/2012 7:43:58 PM, YYW wrote:

Well... this applies to me... sort of. I'm a liberal Republican, or conservative Democrat... depending on the direction of the wind.

Yeah I guess I kind of fit that same mold. I consider myself to be both conservative and liberal, and am neither ashamed nor proud of either label.

Though I wouldn't say it's based on the direction of the wind... my economic views have been consistently conservative for the most part for awhile now, and I'm firmly established in the socially liberal camp.
Debate.org Moderator
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 7:48:31 PM
At 8/12/2012 7:45:08 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

For example, if we look at the pictures on your profile, we see that the test seem to indicate a swing to the right, yet you post pictures like this.

I like to demonize the right wingers, and use some of those pictures in my debates.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 7:49:19 PM
At 8/12/2012 7:47:11 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Yeah I guess I kind of fit that same mold. I consider myself to be both conservative and liberal, and am neither ashamed nor proud of either label.

Though I wouldn't say it's based on the direction of the wind... my economic views have been consistently conservative for the most part for awhile now, and I'm firmly established in the socially liberal camp.

Ultimately I'm a [post partisan] consequentialist. I'm a JFK Democrat, at heart.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 7:55:19 PM
At 8/12/2012 7:48:31 PM, Contra wrote:
At 8/12/2012 7:45:08 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I like to demonize the right wingers, and use some of those pictures in my debates.

I like to challenge people who think that they know more than politicians do, to defend their beliefs. (Not saying this is you, just as a general rule rather.) I tend to be especially hard on people prone to make unsubstantiated bold statements, of any partisan affiliation. I also fundamentally don't care what people think about political issues, because from election to election, people cast their ballots for one of two options thoroughly vetted by their respective parties whose views are practically indistinguishable in the grand sense of things. Democracy happens. If anything, my true support lies for the two party system, because that infrastructure is what facilitates the success of our great electoral experiment.
Tsar of DDO
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 7:59:05 PM
I am an atheist Libertarian and am proud of it!
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Axiom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 8:07:47 PM
Allowing yourself to be stereotyped really doesn't help you on a debate site. I try to keep all my personal views and beliefs to myself so that I can be objective when debating and voting.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 8:16:07 PM
The Fool: I claim to be a Fool, nothing more nothing less.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 8:18:59 PM
The Fool: I say judge each issue on its own accord. I think we are getting rid of labels here all together. (Canada) It doesn;t really make anysense.
I don;t even like the Label 'Human Being!'
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Axiom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 8:20:09 PM
At 8/12/2012 8:18:59 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: I say judge each issue on its own accord. I think we are getting rid of labels here all together. (Canada) It doesn;t really make anysense.

+1
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 8:26:28 PM
At 8/12/2012 8:20:09 PM, Axiom wrote:
At 8/12/2012 8:18:59 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

+1

This is in keeping with my consequentialist outlook.
Tsar of DDO
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 8:26:51 PM
At 8/12/2012 7:49:19 PM, YYW wrote:

Ultimately I'm a [post partisan] consequentialist. I'm a JFK Democrat, at heart.

I'd say a Clinton Democrat. Both JFK and Clinton are moderates by modern ideology, but would probably be considered liberals by some.

TheOrator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 8:30:04 PM
My main reason is not because I'm ashamed, but becasue some of the voters around here cry votebomb at the slightest provocation. If I provide an answer less than essay-size and I check that I agree with the person I'm voting for, I'm scared of a "counter" votebomb simply because people forget that a vote you don't agree with is not a votebomb. More often than not, I just don't bother to vote anymore (there's no incentive any more, so there's nothing in it for me but stress), and the few times that i do (Like on the "The Bible Supports the Pro-Life Side" argument) I get "counter" votebombed for believing something other than some of the other voters.
My legend begins in the 12th century
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 8:30:26 PM
At 8/12/2012 8:26:51 PM, Contra wrote:

I'd say a Clinton Democrat. Both JFK and Clinton are moderates by modern ideology, but would probably be considered liberals by some.

To be more precise, Clinton was a third-way Democrat (a type of moderate, but not specifically a moderate). JFK was a moderate liberal, but thought like a consequentialist.
Tsar of DDO
TheOrator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 8:31:45 PM
At 8/12/2012 8:30:04 PM, TheOrator wrote:
My main reason is not because I'm ashamed, but becasue some of the voters around here cry votebomb at the slightest provocation. If I provide an answer less than essay-size and I check that I agree with the person I'm voting for, I'm scared of a "counter" votebomb simply because people forget that a vote you don't agree with is not a votebomb. More often than not, I just don't bother to vote anymore (there's no incentive any more, so there's nothing in it for me but stress), and the few times that i do (Like on the "The Bible Supports the Pro-Life Side" argument) I get "counter" votebombed for believing something other than some of the other voters.

I know that has to do with voting and not a survey, but I didn't have a survey and I thought it might shed some light on the issue.
My legend begins in the 12th century
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 8:34:54 PM
The Fool: Do you know what I mean by Human being?

The Concept is irrational. And I would even argue immoral. In the light that I think all irrational fantasy, is not healthy.

I don't like the fact that somebodies telling me I have some mystical, elements in me. Like Rights. And I don;t know it. No I am The Fool, I have a body, and a conscious mind. I have immediate access to my thoughts. None of those things exist in me. Don't place you ideology on me. Its only and idea IN YOUR MIND! I don't want your crazy!!
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 8:35:03 PM
At 8/12/2012 8:30:26 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/12/2012 8:26:51 PM, Contra wrote:

I'd say I'm a Clinton Democrat. Both JFK and Clinton are moderates by modern ideology, but would probably be considered liberals by some.

To be more precise, Clinton was a third-way Democrat (a type of moderate, but not specifically a moderate). JFK was a moderate liberal, but thought like a consequentialist.

This is true.

When I first joined, my profile picture (http://www.debate.org...) seemed to infuriate people against me. I never won a single debate when I had Michael Moore as my profile picture. Lol.

The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 8:36:15 PM
The Fool: I just want to be Free from all of that!!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 8:38:07 PM
At 8/12/2012 8:34:54 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: Do you know what I mean by Human being?

The Concept is irrational. And I would even argue immoral. In the light that I think all irrational fantasy, is not healthy.

I don't like the fact that somebodies telling me I have some mystical, elements in me. Like Rights. And I don;t know it. No I am The Fool, I have a body, and a conscious mind. I have immediate access to my thoughts. None of those things exist in me. Don't place you ideology on me. Its only and idea IN YOUR MIND! I don't want your crazy!!

This.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 8:40:55 PM
At 8/12/2012 8:31:45 PM, TheOrator wrote:
At 8/12/2012 8:30:04 PM, TheOrator wrote:

I know that has to do with voting and not a survey, but I didn't have a survey and I thought it might shed some light on the issue.

I have read more than a few of your RFD's, and while you are entitled to think/feel/vote in any way you like, there have only been three that I would say were correctly decided.

Then again, I don't think either of us would disagree that we think in totally different ways.
Tsar of DDO