Jump to topic:

Need opinion of someone smarter than me

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 12:02:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Welcome, I have a question and its been driving me up a f*cking wall for a long time now,

If a pool was filled with beer, and someone drowns in it, did he die from drowning or from alcohol consumption?? If one, why not the other??

I know its stupid but im losing my mind over this, please help?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 12:12:36 PM
Do an tox screen. If alcohol levels are greater or equal to than needed to die, then alcohol consumption is a possible cause of death. Otherwise, the sure cause is drowning.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 12:18:48 PM
Drowning.

Beer is 5% alcohol. The amount of beer it would take to drown you (amount to fill lungs, not amount in pool) is less beer than an average partier drinks on any given night.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 12:19:24 PM
At 8/15/2012 12:02:03 PM, imabench wrote:
Welcome, I have a question and its been driving me up a f*cking wall for a long time now,

If a pool was filled with beer, and someone drowns in it, did he die from drowning or from alcohol consumption?? If one, why not the other??

If he drowns, then he died of drowning.

We can try to make it more interesting by saying he drank so much of it that he passed out and drowned in the rest. But I'd still call that drowning, not alcohol poisoning.

In law school, I heard about a case where somebody had either wind insurance or water insurance (don't remember which) but not both. His house blew into the river. :D

If you walk around a tree, and there's a squirrel out of sight on the far side of the tree. As you go around the tree, the squirrel stays on the far side, always with his belly toward you. When you've walked around the tree, have you walked around the squirrel?

Okay, writing the above gave me enough time to think, and I decided to look up "consume." The closest definition I found at dictionary.com was "eat or drink." Accidentally getting beer in your lungs wouldn't seem to count as consumption.

But let's change the hypothetical. Suppose he ate so many hotdogs that his stomach exploded. Would we say, "Did he die from eating hotdogs, or from an exploded stomach?" It doesn't have to be one or the other. Both could be true.

So, if we counted inhaling beer as "consumption," then he would have died from both alcohol consumption and drowning.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 12:21:35 PM
so the popular consensus is drowning.

Thankyou :D <33333
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 4:57:14 PM
At 8/15/2012 12:12:36 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Do an tox screen. If alcohol levels are greater or equal to than needed to die, then alcohol consumption is a possible cause of death. Otherwise, the sure cause is drowning.

Wrong B/c his lugs will be full of alcohol and there for show high no matter what. The answer is Drowning b/c he was never alive long enough to die of the alcohol consumption.

Although one could argue that he did die of alcohol consumption, because he consumed alcohol in his lugs therefor it killed him. lol
Me
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 5:19:08 PM

Death from alcohol poisoning would take longer than it takes to die from lack of oxygen, so he'd drown.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 5:20:32 PM

Is this supposed to be like the, "Which is heavier: 100 lbs of rocks or 100 lbs of feathers?" question? The scenario explicitly states that he drowns in the alcohol.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 5:36:32 PM
Drowning.

The lungs would be filled with liquid - drowning doesn't only occur in water. You'd drown far faster than you could die of alcohol poisoning.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 5:45:07 PM
You just told me that he drowned in the pool.
And then asked if he drowned in it.
The answer is yes.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 5:47:54 PM
At 8/15/2012 5:45:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
The answer is yes.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 5:48:46 PM
At 8/15/2012 12:19:24 PM, wiploc wrote:

If he drowns, then he died of drowning.

We can try to make it more interesting by saying he drank so much of it that he passed out and drowned in the rest. But I'd still call that drowning, not alcohol poisoning.

In law school, I heard about a case where somebody had either wind insurance or water insurance (don't remember which) but not both. His house blew into the river. :D

If you walk around a tree, and there's a squirrel out of sight on the far side of the tree. As you go around the tree, the squirrel stays on the far side, always with his belly toward you. When you've walked around the tree, have you walked around the squirrel?

Okay, writing the above gave me enough time to think, and I decided to look up "consume." The closest definition I found at dictionary.com was "eat or drink." Accidentally getting beer in your lungs wouldn't seem to count as consumption.

But let's change the hypothetical. Suppose he ate so many hotdogs that his stomach exploded. Would we say, "Did he die from eating hotdogs, or from an exploded stomach?" It doesn't have to be one or the other. Both could be true.

So, if we counted inhaling beer as "consumption," then he would have died from both alcohol consumption and drowning.

But, I must say that this was quite the entertaining read.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 5:50:31 PM
If you have a man full of alcohol dead in a pool, he'll have both alcohol to drown him and alcohol to poison him. So surely it's death by sexy?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 11:15:43 PM
http://community.discovery.com...

Apparently you can't drown in beer because you'd float on the yeast...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 6:04:06 AM
At 8/15/2012 5:47:54 PM, Ren wrote:
At 8/15/2012 5:45:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
The answer is yes.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
TheBossToss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 9:49:55 AM
Drowning, methinks. But how one would drown in a pool if alcohol, and why one would enter in the first place.....
Cats. I like cats.
-Me

Pro hasn't upheld his BOP. He forfeited last round. I did stuff.
-Wallstreetatheist

That was real intellectual property theft. They used her idea for their own profit and fame. When I pirate, I am usually downloading textbooks that I cannot afford to purchase on my own and that I do not want my parents to spend money on.
-royalpaladin