Jump to topic:

Being popular on DDO?

XStrikeX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:15:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
How does one be popular and well-known within the DDO community?

Is it to be a genius like Danielle?
Is it to be hilarious like imabench?
Perhaps have passionate beliefs like 16kadams?
Or is it something cheesy, like... be yourself?

What is it?
~<3 Domo
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:24:10 AM
At 8/16/2012 10:15:00 AM, XStrikeX wrote:

What is it?

VICTORY IS MINE!!!!!!
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:25:53 AM
in all seriousness though just be yourself and if youre unique enough youll develop your own fame and circle of friends sooner or later
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:29:53 AM
Popularity on DDO is a double-edged sword. Sure, everyone here likes you, but the less of a life you have outside of it. Popularity here means unpopular in real life.

You're welcome.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:58:40 AM
I think being popular on here is a delicate mix of having integrity, being intelligent, and not being too much of an @sshat. Someone like Danielle can get away with being a little b*tchy sometimes because she's intelligent, likeable, well-articulate, and open (I won't lie, I find it funny when she emasculates people). I won't name names but there are people who were just general @sshats and no matter what they said, weren't very likeable.
yang.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 12:08:51 PM
At 8/16/2012 11:29:53 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Popularity on DDO is a double-edged sword. Sure, everyone here likes you, but the less of a life you have outside of it. Popularity here means unpopular in real life.

You're welcome.

In actuality, that may or may be true, though in all seriousness, I would equate popularity with renown as well as well as informal respect for a reputation.

But then again, that's my opinion...=)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 12:15:33 PM
At 8/16/2012 11:58:40 AM, tulle wrote:
I think being popular on here is a delicate mix of having integrity, being intelligent, and not being too much of an @sshat. Someone like Danielle can get away with being a little b*tchy sometimes because she's intelligent, likeable, well-articulate, and open (I won't lie, I find it funny when she emasculates people). I won't name names but there are people who were just general @sshats and no matter what they said, weren't very likeable.

Unfortunately, Danielle doesn't always get what she deserves, considering what others have stated about and to her. :(

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 12:15:51 PM
At 8/16/2012 12:15:33 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/16/2012 11:58:40 AM, tulle wrote:

Unfortunately, Danielle doesn't always get the credit what she deserves, considering what others have stated about and to her. :(

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 8:13:31 PM

You're welcome.

^this.

There's really no incentive to be popular on DDO. You gain absolutely nothing from it.
Open borders debate:
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 8:40:33 PM
Yeah passionate. 16kadams is very popular around here.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 8:50:57 PM
At 8/16/2012 8:13:31 PM, darkkermit wrote:

You're welcome.

^this.

There's really no incentive to be popular on DDO. You gain absolutely nothing from it.

I've often wondered about the benefits and costs of DDO/social networking. In a certain sense, it's so useful and easy to just jump on and, voila, i'm talking to people. But conversely, I'd rather be physically interacting. 90% of communication is non-verbal, i.e., doesn't come across on this blasted thing. My experience with Alfonzo was a testament to that fact...

But, at least in this place and time, there is really no alternative. I can go to the bars, but the people there cannot hold a decent conversation. Getting drunk and laughing at myself is not always what I feel like doing.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Axiom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:43:31 PM
I challenge any of you to find a community so saturated with intelligence and potential self-foils in your day to day lives. To make a claim like 'being popular on DDO is pointless' is hasty and rash. Popularity on a site such as this is the product of hard work, discourse and applicational education.
I use the site like I would a classroom. I use it to learn, not because I can't be 'popular' somewhere else. But because I prefer challenging intellectual peers.
To put it in perspective: I was the captain of my high school soccer team and started varsity for four years. I was the starting point guard for our basketball team as well. Academically, I excelled and graduated with highest honors. I play guitar in a band and have authored eight books, one which is currently being negotiated with an agent. (And yes, some of the girls even found me attractive.)
Now these are the things that I was good at. The things that I actually put value in: I play chess competitively. I read books in philosophy and study tort law for fun. I love debate and have finally found a forum for it on DDO.
For me, popularity on a site like this, surrounded by people I acknowledge as intellectual equals will be much more fulfilling than any of the acclaim I had last year in high school.
I guess I'm saying, don't detract from Danielle, imabench or 16kadams' achievements on this site. They deserve their popularity. And unlike the real world, popularity here is a matter of merit, not fickle opinion.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 12:09:51 AM
As darkkermit said, being popular here means less popularity in real life. And there usually is going to be at least one or two people that hate you on this site, despite your best efforts.

Even the sweetest people like Non-entity, have people that dis-like them (though I think it is only JimTimmy.

Actually I think Oryus is liked by basically everyone. Am I missing anyone?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 12:10:41 AM
At 8/17/2012 12:09:51 AM, TUF wrote:
As darkkermit said, being popular here means less popularity in real life. And there usually is going to be at least one or two people that hate you on this site, despite your best efforts.

Even the sweetest people like Non-entity, have people that dis-like them (though I think it is only JimTimmy.

000ike and Mouthwash. :P

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 12:14:07 AM
At 8/16/2012 10:25:53 AM, imabench wrote:
in all seriousness though just be yourself and if youre unique enough youll develop your own fame and circle of friends sooner or later

Oh that just crossed the line, you should be banned!
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 11:31:07 AM
I consider DDO a social networking site and try to get to know people. There is a difference between getting to know others through PMs and/or playing games with them than being someone who everyone considers "popular" or "respected." Both of them are positive things as opposed to negative.

Also, debating is an intellectual activity that requires a lot of research and good writing skills. When you discuss debates with others and stimulate your intellectual curiosity, you become more "popular" as long as you are not a jerk.

So, being popular on DDO isn't a bad thing nor does it have any corelation to real like popularity - direct or inverse.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 2:09:17 PM
At 8/17/2012 12:10:41 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

000ike and Mouthwash. :P

mouthwash maybe, but any multiaccount of Jimtimmy hates 000ike to no bounds...

caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 3:14:48 PM

What is it?

Nice try imabench!
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 4:28:07 PM

What is it?

Don't try, just do.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
TheBossToss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 4:40:17 PM
At 8/16/2012 11:43:31 PM, Axiom wrote:
I challenge any of you to find a community so saturated with intelligence and potential self-foils in your day to day lives. To make a claim like 'being popular on DDO is pointless' is hasty and rash. Popularity on a site such as this is the product of hard work, discourse and applicational education.
I use the site like I would a classroom. I use it to learn, not because I can't be 'popular' somewhere else. But because I prefer challenging intellectual peers.
To put it in perspective: I was the captain of my high school soccer team and started varsity for four years. I was the starting point guard for our basketball team as well. Academically, I excelled and graduated with highest honors. I play guitar in a band and have authored eight books, one which is currently being negotiated with an agent. (And yes, some of the girls even found me attractive.)
Now these are the things that I was good at. The things that I actually put value in: I play chess competitively. I read books in philosophy and study tort law for fun. I love debate and have finally found a forum for it on DDO.
For me, popularity on a site like this, surrounded by people I acknowledge as intellectual equals will be much more fulfilling than any of the acclaim I had last year in high school.
I guess I'm saying, don't detract from Danielle, imabench or 16kadams' achievements on this site. They deserve their popularity. And unlike the real world, popularity here is a matter of merit, not fickle opinion.

You've authored books? Could you tell me their names so I could buy them? I'm in HS too, and very interested :P
Cats. I like cats.
-Me

Pro hasn't upheld his BOP. He forfeited last round. I did stuff.
-Wallstreetatheist

That was real intellectual property theft. They used her idea for their own profit and fame. When I pirate, I am usually downloading textbooks that I cannot afford to purchase on my own and that I do not want my parents to spend money on.
-royalpaladin
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 4:51:02 PM

I played football in high school, but was horrible at it.

DDO fits my personality. The people here are much like me, value the same things and in many cases think in much the same way. Such is the reason that I continue to be active on here... I enjoy the people tremendously.

I don't think of myself as an intellectual but -it has taken me all of my life to come to terms with the fact that- I would rather read a book than go to a party. I was never a good "socialite" because I was horribly bored.

I am practically never bored on DDO.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 4:52:05 PM
At 8/17/2012 4:51:02 PM, YYW wrote:

I played football in high school, but was horrible at it.

DDO fits my personality. The people here are much like me, value the same things and in many cases think in much the same way. Such is the reason that I continue to be active on here... I enjoy the people tremendously.

I don't think of myself as an intellectual but -it has taken me all of my life to come to terms with the fact that- I would rather read a book than go to a party. I was never a good "socialite" because I was horribly bored.

I am practically never bored on DDO.

Although I graduated HS at 17, and finished my undergraduate degree just after I turned 20.
Tsar of DDO
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 7:50:11 AM

What on earth do I have to do/say to get rid of my nice girl rep :p
yang.
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 2:10:34 PM

You're welcome.

If everyone starts to hate me here...would more people start liking me irl?
MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 2:15:00 PM
At 8/18/2012 7:50:11 AM, tulle wrote:

Use that pinky giiiirl.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 3:58:30 PM
At 8/18/2012 2:10:34 PM, vmpire321 wrote:

You're welcome.

If everyone starts to hate me here...would more people start liking me irl?

I think jimtimmy tried that strategy, ask him if it worked

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 4:25:26 PM
At 8/18/2012 7:50:11 AM, tulle wrote:

do naughty things to me :).
Open borders debate:
adontimasu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 6:26:19 PM

Not necessarily. You could be popular for the wrong reasons, like xxx200. :P