Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Inform Members of Changes Made to the Site

CriticalThinkingMachine
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 9:50:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This Website Should Create an Article That Informs Members of Changes That Have Been Made to the Site:

The site should create a page called "Changes to the Website" that lists the following: a) features of the website that used to be true but no longer are b) the date of when the feature was discontinued/the date of when the new feature was started c) whatever the new feature is (sometimes it may just be the opposite of the discontinued feature) d) the reason for the change. Doing so will not only provide members with something of interest and importance, it will also prevent confusion about why some feature exists for certain debates but not others. It also makes the site look more professional. Having members search through thousands of posts on the forum to find answers to their questions is tedious, frustrating, and unnecessary.
imabench
Posts: 21,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 9:51:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
or you could just keep checking the DDO forums every now and then....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 9:59:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/21/2012 9:51:33 PM, imabench wrote:
or you could just keep checking the DDO forums every now and then....

This. It would save other people a lot of time.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 1:19:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
There is no need to inform members of changes...when avenues--such as friends, the moderator, the forums, and even your own sensory perception are available to discern such changes, CriticalThinkingMachine...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 1:39:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
But we all appreciate calls of change..but only when they're sensible...and justified. ;)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 6:06:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 1:39:02 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
But we all appreciate calls of change..but only when they're sensible...and justified. ;)

In order to become president, you must be required to have a picture of your junk as your avatar at all times; this is for identification purposes.
CriticalThinkingMachine
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 1:37:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 1:19:26 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
There is no need to inform members of changes...when avenues--such as friends, the moderator, the forums, and even your own sensory perception are available to discern such changes, CriticalThinkingMachine...

Apparently man-is-good didn't think this through, or even thoroughly read my post. What if you're new and do not have any friends on the site? What if you don't want to waste hours looking through the unorganized forums? My solution is much simpler, more economical, and free of contingency.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 1:59:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
There used to be a link at the bottom of each page that said updates (where it says help, about, feedback, privacy, RSS, Terms) , I guess they got rid of it.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 2:08:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 1:37:15 PM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:
At 8/22/2012 1:19:26 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
There is no need to inform members of changes...when avenues--such as friends, the moderator, the forums, and even your own sensory perception are available to discern such changes, CriticalThinkingMachine...

Apparently man-is-good didn't think this through, or even thoroughly read my post. What if you're new and do not have any friends on the site? What if you don't want to waste hours looking through the unorganized forums? My solution is much simpler, more economical, and free of contingency.

Yes, you do have a point, but it is wanting solely--and in my opinion---of the fact that it is not entirely necessary; however, I would agree if you wanted a feature or brief news-section on the changes, though, after all, that doesn't eliminate the fact that you couldn't undertake any of the other avenues of knowing the changes...;)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 2:12:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 2:08:51 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/22/2012 1:37:15 PM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:
At 8/22/2012 1:19:26 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
There is no need to inform members of changes...when avenues--such as friends, the moderator, the forums, and even your own sensory perception are available to discern such changes, CriticalThinkingMachine...

Apparently man-is-good didn't think this through, or even thoroughly read my post. What if you're new and do not have any friends on the site? What if you don't want to waste hours looking through the unorganized forums? My solution is much simpler, more economical, and free of contingency.

Yes, you do have a point, but it is wanting solely--and in my opinion---of the fact that it is not entirely necessary; however, I would agree if you wanted a feature or brief news-section on the changes, though, after all, that doesn't eliminate the fact that you couldn't undertake any of the other avenues of knowing the changes...;)

And I won't disagree though, but note that it might not be as "simple" or even "economical".

I do however would welcome some news of update--perhaps even a thread to access, instead of an article entirely dedicated to it--or even the feature 000ike mentioned before. :-)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
CriticalThinkingMachine
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 11:12:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 2:08:51 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/22/2012 1:37:15 PM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:
At 8/22/2012 1:19:26 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
There is no need to inform members of changes...when avenues--such as friends, the moderator, the forums, and even your own sensory perception are available to discern such changes, CriticalThinkingMachine...

Apparently man-is-good didn't think this through, or even thoroughly read my post. What if you're new and do not have any friends on the site? What if you don't want to waste hours looking through the unorganized forums? My solution is much simpler, more economical, and free of contingency.

Yes, you do have a point, but it is wanting solely--and in my opinion---of the fact that it is not entirely necessary; however, I would agree if you wanted a feature or brief news-section on the changes, though, after all, that doesn't eliminate the fact that you couldn't undertake any of the other avenues of knowing the changes...;)

I never said that it was entirely necessary, just more convenient. I'm afraid you overstated my point. All I am doing is suggesting a time-saving feature. I think most members of this site, especially new ones, would appreciate and welcome my suggestion. I never denied that one could undertake the other avenues. My point was that undertaking these avenues is more tedious. Why make things harder than they have to be?
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 1:59:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 11:12:33 PM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:
At 8/22/2012 2:08:51 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/22/2012 1:37:15 PM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:
At 8/22/2012 1:19:26 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
There is no need to inform members of changes...when avenues--such as friends, the moderator, the forums, and even your own sensory perception are available to discern such changes, CriticalThinkingMachine...

Apparently man-is-good didn't think this through, or even thoroughly read my post. What if you're new and do not have any friends on the site? What if you don't want to waste hours looking through the unorganized forums? My solution is much simpler, more economical, and free of contingency.

Yes, you do have a point, but it is wanting solely--and in my opinion---of the fact that it is not entirely necessary; however, I would agree if you wanted a feature or brief news-section on the changes, though, after all, that doesn't eliminate the fact that you couldn't undertake any of the other avenues of knowing the changes...;)

I never said that it was entirely necessary, just more convenient. I'm afraid you overstated my point. All I am doing is suggesting a time-saving feature. I think most members of this site, especially new ones, would appreciate and welcome my suggestion. I never denied that one could undertake the other avenues. My point was that undertaking these avenues is more tedious. Why make things harder than they have to be?

I didn't say you did...I mentioned that you thought it was convenient or even something to consider as of the moment to implement. Unfortunately, the options I mentioned were already easier than is needed/given here...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
CriticalThinkingMachine
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 1:10:49 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
"I didn't say you did...I mentioned that you thought it was convenient or even something to consider as of the moment to implement. Unfortunately, the options I mentioned were already easier than is needed/given here..."

This sounds pretty incoherent and lacking in grammar. I don't know what man-is-good is referring to when he said "I didn't say you did." His main point seems to be that searching through thousands of forum posts (which may contain false or incomplete information), is easier and more reliable than reading a single objective article by the very creators of the site. I, and probably 99% of the universeis, disagree, but hey, that's just us.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 2:33:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/24/2012 1:10:49 AM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:
"I didn't say you did...I mentioned that you thought it was convenient or even something to consider as of the moment to implement. Unfortunately, the options I mentioned were already easier than is needed/given here..."

This sounds pretty incoherent and lacking in grammar.
Unfortunately, neither incoherence or an absence in grammar is a base for what is pretty much personal, rather than objective response, sir..
I don't know what man-is-good is referring to when he said "I didn't say you did."
In response to "I never said that it was entirely necessary, just more convenient."
His main point seems to be that searching through thousands of forum posts (which may contain false or incomplete information), is easier and more reliable than reading a single objective article by the very creators of the site.
"There is no need to inform members of changes...when avenues--such as friends, the moderator, the forums, and even your own sensory perception are available to discern such changes, CriticalThinkingMachine..."

I should note unfortunately never did I completely state that my preference was to search "thousands of forum posts (which may contain false or incomplete information)" or completely hinge on the idea, CTM...nor did I even specify any of the supposed avenues to merit an assumption

I, and probably 99% of the universeis, disagree, but hey, that's just us.
Ah yes, of course, my position too has been overstated in the course of this conversation, "but hey, that's just us".

I have already specified as of the moment other avenues are available, despite your point about some other notion to be needed and utilized to get there or attain such, and don't think that such is an entirely necessary update (yet): I should note--as I have noted before, never did specify to warrant the assumptions you made (lol). And note that I have welcomed more moderate changes, and still question the professional extent of your....updates.

You've also decided to appeal to the entire universe and, in the act of belitting me (ho ho ho), have tried to demonstrate the supposed flagrant and almost opposition to my position here, lol...please don't when not much of the universe can be seen, whether in the context of DDO or not. :-)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 4:19:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 1:37:15 PM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:
At 8/22/2012 1:19:26 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
There is no need to inform members of changes...when avenues--such as friends, the moderator, the forums, and even your own sensory perception are available to discern such changes, CriticalThinkingMachine...

Apparently man-is-good didn't think this through, or even thoroughly read my post. What if you're new and do not have any friends on the site?
Then you add some friends, including Airmax, who is clearly attuned with the changes of the site...:)
What if you don't want to waste hours looking through the unorganized forums?
My discussion of the avenue was never specified, and does not actually "looking through the unorganized forums". You could however make a thread seeking for updates, where current members could actually respond and list the changes given the extent of their knowledge...That is what I specifically meant by the "forums", and I apologize for not specifying.

Of course, that didn't warrant that assumptions of yours. ;)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 4:29:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/24/2012 4:19:51 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/22/2012 1:37:15 PM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:
At 8/22/2012 1:19:26 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
There is no need to inform members of changes...when avenues--such as friends, the moderator, the forums, and even your own sensory perception are available to discern such changes, CriticalThinkingMachine...

Apparently man-is-good didn't think this through, or even thoroughly read my post. What if you're new and do not have any friends on the site?
Then you add some friends, including Airmax, who is clearly attuned with the changes of the site...:)
What if you don't want to waste hours looking through the unorganized forums?
My discussion of the avenue was never specified, and does not actually encompass "looking through the unorganized forums". You could however make a thread seeking for updates, where current members could actually respond and list the changes given the extent of their knowledge...That is what I specifically meant by the "forums", and I apologize for not specifying.

Of course, that didn't warrant that assumptions of yours, especially when a thread ABOUT the changes made to the site would have been of more practical..purposes, CriticalThinking Machine.

I should also note that my initial response was...not too abrasive, except the part about sensory perception. I hope you're not angry at me because I voted against you in your debate with Baggins. You can openly confront me about that, and I'd be happy to resolve that matter...in a debate.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
CriticalThinkingMachine
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 1:16:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
You say that you never stated that your preference was for looking through thousands of forum posts, as if that mattered. You mentioned it. You think it's better than my idea, without argument, of course. You like telling me which avenue you DON'T prefer. I wish you would tell me which avenue you DO prefer. But anyway, I criticized all of your avenes so it doesn't matter what your preference is.

You say I overstated your position. I'd like evidence of that. Hey, that's just you.

Updates are better than nothing (and better than looking through the forums, excepts updates come and go. An article is more permanent and would not be dependent on what time someone joins the site or how long someone has been on the site.

And sensory perception is a necessary condition, not a sufficient one, for finding out changes to the website.

I'm not angry at you for voting against me. I refuted your reasons for your vote in the comment section. I noticed your lack of response after that.

I stand by my forum topic. The site should inform members of information that they need to know.