Jump to topic:

Improve the Debate Statistics Chart

CriticalThinkingMachine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 11:01:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Debate Statistics Chart Can Be Improved to Distinguish Between Different Kinds of Debates, Wins, Losses, and Ties:

Seeing that a debater has partaken in thirty debates, for example, is interesting, but it would be even more interesting if one could see how many of those debates were instigated by the debater, and how many of them were contended.

Seeing that a debater has won twenty of those debates is also interesting, but it would be even more interesting if one could see how many of those debates were won due to the debater gaining the most points after votes on a full debate (I call these "full" wins), and how many were won due to the debater gaining the most points after a debate in which the opponent forfeited or conceded the debate. (I call these "opponent-conceded" wins).

The same goes for losing. Did a debater lose after a full debate, or did he concede or forfeit the debate.

And there are three different ways to tie a debate as well. Some debaters tie a debate because the amount of points totaled after the voting period in which people voted ends is the same (I call this a "true" tie). However, occasionally debaters will tie a debate because no one votes on the debate and so the total of points can only be zero for each, resulting in a tie (I call this a "false #1" tie). And then there are cases in which one debater concedes and forfeits the debate, and yet because no one votes, the debate is still declared a tie (I call this a false #2 tie). It would be interesting to know how many of a debater's ties were true, how many were false #1's and how many were false #2's. Perhaps the tie distinction I have just pointed out is the most important. A debater may have argued brilliantly and obviously refuted his opponent and yet he will not be declared the winner if no one votes. This seems unfair and most voters would feel cheated in some sense. But the debate statistics chart can alleviate the problem by pointing out if the tie was not genuine.

I think the debate statistics chart should look something like this:

DEBATE STATISTICS

debates (total)
-instigated
-contended
won (total)
-full
-opponent-conceded/forfeited
lost (total)
-full
-self-conceded/forfeited
tied (total)
-true
-false (#1)
-false (#2)
win ratio
percentile
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 11:07:04 PM
Why don't you just go rewrite the entire website's code for them?
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 2:48:06 AM
At 8/21/2012 11:07:04 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 5:10:46 AM
At 8/22/2012 2:48:06 AM, Zaradi wrote:
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 6:07:42 AM
At 8/22/2012 5:10:46 AM, Mestari wrote:
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 9:17:52 PM
At 8/22/2012 6:07:42 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 9:18:50 PM
At 8/23/2012 9:17:52 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
At 8/22/2012 6:07:42 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 9:28:15 PM
In all sobriety, is there a need to describe the specifics for win and losses, CriticalThinkingMachine?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
CriticalThinkingMachine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 11:19:24 PM
At 8/23/2012 9:28:15 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
In all sobriety, is there a need to describe the specifics for win and losses, CriticalThinkingMachine?

In all sobriety, did I ever say there was a need to describe the specific wins and losses? No, so please stop overstating my points. All I am doing is making logical suggestions that I believe would make the site look more professional as well as benefit the members of the site. What is so hard for you to understand about this, man-is-good?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 11:46:20 PM
At 8/23/2012 11:19:24 PM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:

In all sobriety, did I ever say there was a need to describe the specific wins and losses? No, so please stop overstating my points. All I am doing is making logical suggestions that I believe would make the site look more professional as well as benefit the members of the site. What is so hard for you to understand about this, man-is-good?

That was NOT NICE CTM.

Go to your room and think about what you've done
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

CriticalThinkingMachine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 12:22:11 AM
I'm starting to think that man-is-good has a family member who works for this website. Why else would he feel the need to criticize my extremely uncontroversial comments?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 12:35:46 AM
At 8/24/2012 12:22:11 AM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:
I'm starting to think that man-is-good has a family member who works for this website. Why else would he feel the need to criticize my extremely uncontroversial comments?

Maybe it's because he disagrees with them? it's called DEBATE.org not Agreewithsomeoneelsesopinionsthatyoureallydontagreewithbecauseifyoudosomeonemighttakeitpersonally.org

CriticalThinkingMachine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 12:56:30 AM
Maybe it's because he disagrees with them? it's called DEBATE.org not Agreewithsomeoneelsesopinionsthatyoureallydontagreewithbecauseifyoudosomeonemighttakeitpersonally.org

I know. But he has provided no reasons for his disagreement with them. That's why I made my sarcastic comment.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 2:24:06 AM
At 8/23/2012 11:46:20 PM, imabench wrote:
At 8/23/2012 11:19:24 PM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:

That was NOT NICE CTM.

Go to your room and think about what you've done

Actually, I meant in categorizing or distinguishing between such wins and losses when I meant "describe"...But as to the point, good sir,

Is there a sense of necessity that you can identify in the currents of DDO? I do suppose the professional part however is certainly well, but unfortunately I'll have to ask: at what expense//or for the expense of convenience???

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 2:35:01 AM
At 8/24/2012 12:22:11 AM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:

Lol, so a question becomes criticism and even, at least in my perspective, moderate criticism, becomes such.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 2:38:29 AM
And please stop attacking those who disagree with you, especially when stating that they lack critical thinking.

It is a debate site after all, and I am not required to agree with you, let alone follow your instructions and heed your counsel for the site (especially due to a disagreement)...not to imply that you have explicitly called for such, though your unremitting attack against your "critics", as in my case, is becoming a more ostensible example of such.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 2:40:50 AM
At 8/24/2012 12:56:30 AM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:

I know. But he has provided no reasons for his disagreement with them. That's why I made my sarcastic comment.

That is true, but unfortunately, neither did you seek to explore the reasons behind my (actually moderate) disagreement...before making that sarcastic remark.

Quite the conduct, sir.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 2:41:17 AM
At 8/24/2012 2:40:50 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/24/2012 12:56:30 AM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:

That is true, but unfortunately,you did not seek to explore the reasons behind my (actually moderate) disagreement...before making that sarcastic remark.

Quite the conduct, sir.

Fixed/amended.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 2:45:27 AM
At 8/24/2012 2:38:29 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
And please stop attacking those who disagree with you, especially when stating that they lack critical thinking.

It is a debate site after all, and I am not required to agree with you, let alone follow your instructions and heed your counsel for the site (especially due to a disagreement)...not to imply that you have explicitly called for such, though your unremitting attack against your "critics", as in my case, is becoming a more ostensible example of such.

P

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 2:46:23 AM
I should also note, CTM, that I've tried to be a bit genial (don't know if that rubbed off as being belligerent, as another member may proclaim) and am still trying to be, lol.

And as for the matter, I wonder if the fact that I voted against you has anything to do with this; if not, all is fine--hopefully. Just a curious thought. :-)

nate.DDOqa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 9:22:44 AM
Thank you for your input. We will consider all of your suggestions. However, as of now, the way the code is written it would be impossible to easily implement some of those ideas. We are more concentrated on other things including a new ELO leader board, while still keeping the old.

debates (total)
In place
-instigated
possible fix
-contended
possible fix
won (total)
In place
-full
Not feasible now separating from conceded
-opponent-conceded/forfeited
Not feasible now
lost (total)
In place
-full
-self-conceded/forfeited
Not feasible now
tied (total)
In place
-true
-false (#1)
possible fix
-false (#2)
Not feasible now
win ratio
In place
percentile
In place

Additionally with your train of thought you forgot to break up the conditions of false #2 for the concede-d and concede-r

You have good ideas but not all are really possible in this stage of development.

I encourage you and anyone else to keep posting ideas and fixes to the site in this forum

Thanks!
CriticalThinkingMachine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 1:33:19 AM
"...And as for the matter, I wonder if the fact that I voted against you has anything to do with this; if not, all is fine--hopefully. Just a curious thought. :-)"

To what are you referring when you use the word "this"? My self-defense. No, it has nothing to do with the fact that you voted against me, even with what I believe are aweful reasons. It has to do with the fact that I enjoy defending myself.

And please don't tell me to not attack people who disagree with me when that is exactly what you have been doing to me. I don't appreciate hypocrisy, and I never said that anyone lacked critical thinking. You just made that up.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 2:53:06 PM
At 8/27/2012 1:33:19 AM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:
"...And as for the matter, I wonder if the fact that I voted against you has anything to do with this; if not, all is fine--hopefully. Just a curious thought. :-)"

To what are you referring when you use the word "this"?
The entire tensions between us...

My self-defense. No, it has nothing to do with the fact that you voted against me, even with what I believe are aweful reasons. It has to do with the fact that I enjoy defending myself.
I'll leave the decision of whether or not my vote was credible to other members...However, if you wish, we can debate about that vote, if you're going to insist that I provided poor and awful reasons behind my decision...

And please don't tell me to not attack people who disagree with me when that is exactly what you have been doing to me.
To be fair, I have not actually attacked you except for bordering near and near the line of vituperation. And it's clearly not the case since I'm not the one defending myself...in the entirety.
I don't appreciate hypocrisy, and I never said that anyone lacked critical thinking. You just made that up.

Fighting Falcon pretty much took the words out of my mouth. It's nice to find someone else who likes to think critically. http://www.debate.org...

Now, while it is certainly true that you did not say directly, it is however quite obvious that you implied that your dissenters, as opposed to those who agreed with you--such as F-16--did lack critical thinking...

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 2:59:25 PM
I may be the most vocal opponent so far, but then again I was also targeted the most --barring others such as Wiploc--by you, CriticalThinkingMachine.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 3:10:48 PM
At 8/27/2012 2:53:06 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/27/2012 1:33:19 AM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:

To what are you referring when you use the word "this"?
The entire tensions between us...

My self-defense. No, it has nothing to do with the fact that you voted against me, even with what I believe are aweful reasons. It has to do with the fact that I enjoy defending myself.
I'll leave the decision of whether or not my vote was credible to other members...However, if you wish, we can debate about that vote, if you're going to insist that I provided poor and awful reasons behind my decision...

And please don't tell me to not attack people who disagree with me when that is exactly what you have been doing to me.
To be fair, I have not actually attacked you except for bordering near and near the line of vituperation. And it's clearly not the case since I'm not the one defending myself...in the entirety.
I don't appreciate hypocrisy, and I never said that anyone lacked critical thinking. You just made that up.

Fighting Falcon pretty much took the words out of my mouth. It's nice to find someone else who likes to think critically. http://www.debate.org...

Now, while it is certainly true that you did not say directly, it is however quite obvious that you implied that your dissenters, as opposed to those who agreed with you--such as F-16--did lack critical thinking...

Or to be semantically precise--they were not prone to thinking critically...

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:06:18 PM
And I'll be willing to make amends with you, CTM...unless you want to continue defending yourself. :)

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:28:44 PM
At 8/28/2012 4:23:11 PM, CiRrK wrote:
MiG hes a friend of mine irl, plz make amends :)

It's diplomacy at process, CiRrK. I'm new at being tactful with my proceedings, and as you can see--I wasn't too successful in neutralizing the aggressive party here from waging full war. ;)