Jump to topic:

My debate with Danielle.

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:19:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Is currently 2000 characters over and I'm not going to mess it up using the glitch. I can't sacrifice anything, either. What do I do? Can a mod allow me to go over the limit?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:21:07 PM
At 8/26/2012 8:19:57 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Is currently 2000 characters over and I'm not going to mess it up using the glitch. I can't sacrifice anything, either. What do I do? Can a mod allow me to go over the limit?

"If you cant explain it simply you dont know enough about it" - Albert Einstein
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:22:42 PM
At 8/26/2012 8:21:28 PM, Koopin wrote:
I am a mod, go ahead and use the glitch. I approve it and won't ban you.

I already did in my previous round. It messes up the spacing. I meant artificially allowing me to go over using mod powers or whatnot.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:23:50 PM
At 8/26/2012 8:22:51 PM, Maikuru wrote:
lol the hell?

Thank you for your vague but appreciated comment.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:24:21 PM
Btw, it's the final round. I can't mess this up.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:24:33 PM
Would you like it if she exploited a glitch to make a bigger round? No? Then why do it to her?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:24:35 PM
At 8/26/2012 8:23:50 PM, MouthWash wrote:
lol What the hell?

Fixed.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:25:46 PM
At 8/26/2012 8:24:33 PM, thett3 wrote:
Would you like it if she exploited a glitch to make a bigger round? No? Then why do it to her?

I wouldn't mind if it allowed her to address all of my points.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:26:25 PM
At 8/26/2012 8:24:35 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 8/26/2012 8:23:50 PM, MouthWash wrote:
lol What the hell?

Fixed.

Nah, I like the original better. Nice try , though.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:32:08 PM
At 8/26/2012 8:29:01 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
You should just concede :p

Yeah, right when I've won. >.>

In all seriousness, just cut it down . . .

As an experiment I deleted the entire portion which addressed homosexuality being unhealthy (I copied it first so I didn't lose anything). That brought it down to like -500 characters over. I simply can't afford to cut anything out.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:32:19 PM

Sorry to be so blunt about this, but absolutely not. Using the glitch is poor conduct and everyone should vote conduct points to your opponent if you do use the glitch, if not outright vote arguments against you also, for making arguments (or rebuttals) not allotted in the amount of space allowed.

Manipulating the character limit is not acceptable, and while it's not something I will consider banning you for, you likely and justifiably will lose the debate, because it is outright cheating.
Debate.org Moderator
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:32:46 PM
Use the glitch. It's there, might as well use it to your advantage. I agree that the spacing and the bolding, etc get all messed up though. Copy and paste it into a word or note pad document, then switch it back over to rich text, and make sure the spacing is all correct. The manually type in your <strng> Insert spheal here That way it will still work.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:34:01 PM
You do realize that as soon as I get past this you can vote immediately? I'm about to post it.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:34:53 PM
At 8/26/2012 8:32:19 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Sorry to be so blunt about this, but absolutely not. Using the glitch is poor conduct and everyone should vote conduct points to your opponent if you do use the glitch, if not outright vote arguments against you also, for making arguments (or rebuttals) not allotted in the amount of space allowed.

Manipulating the character limit is not acceptable, and while it's not something I will consider banning you for, you likely and justifiably will lose the debate, because it is outright cheating.

+1. You already went over the character limit by 2700 on R3.

Just do what everyone else does and make it fit, somehow. You used over 10,000 characters in R3 but your opponent found away to address it in 8000, so obviously its possible.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:35:27 PM
At 8/26/2012 8:32:46 PM, TUF wrote:
Use the glitch. It's there, might as well use it to your advantage. I agree that the spacing and the bolding, etc get all messed up though. Copy and paste it into a word or note pad document, then switch it back over to rich text, and make sure the spacing is all correct. Then manually type in your <strng> Insert spheal here That way it will still work.

I don't understand this part.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:36:05 PM

I am sorry airmax, I find that perposterous. Why would going over 8000 characters be a conduct issue? That is pure nazi'ism, to harass another member for exploiting something both debaters can use.

I personally think the character limit should be entirely removed, unless both debaters agree to a certain character set in the rules of the debate, or prior, etc. Right now 8,000 is the max that people can use, and so they have to accept it, but it is unfair when you have to argue an opponent case and your own case, and have no room to argue in, just to get called out for dropping points, and losing conduct/args for it. Really, I wouldn't care if any of my opponents used the glitch, unless I specifically asked them not to in the rules.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:36:49 PM
Use the glitch. It's there, might as well use it to your advantage. I agree that the spacing and the bolding, etc get all messed up though. Copy and paste it into a word or note pad document, then switch it back over to rich text, and make sure the spacing is all correct. The manually type in your <strng> Insert spheal here That way it will still work.

Whenever a round looks long to me, I pop it in a word doc. If it's over 8,000, I discard the round and deduct conduct.
- lamerde

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:37:23 PM

It isn't cheating if people know about it. FREEDO and other have used it many times, and nobody has every had a problem with it. Besides, Nate was talking about increasing the character limit already.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:37:59 PM
At 8/26/2012 8:35:27 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Use the glitch. It's there, might as well use it to your advantage. I agree that the spacing and the bolding, etc get all messed up though. Copy and paste it into a word or note pad document, then switch it back over to rich text, and make sure the spacing is all correct. Then manually type in your <strng> Insert spheal here That way it will still work.

You know the gltich has to be done in normal text. If you want to keep your bolds, italics, and underlines, then manually type in <Strong> blank </ Strong> before switching it to normal text, then it will carry over for the glitch without ruining your spacing and stuff. It takes a bit longer, but its worth it.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:38:41 PM
At 8/26/2012 8:37:59 PM, TUF wrote:
At 8/26/2012 8:35:27 PM, MouthWash wrote:

You know the gltich has to be done in normal text. If you want to keep your bolds, italics, and underlines, then manually type in <Strong> blank </ Strong> before switching it to normal text, then it will carry over for the glitch without ruining your spacing and stuff. It takes a bit longer, but its worth it.

I love you forever!
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:41:14 PM
wait has danielle too exploited this? If both debaters push their round over the limit I say it's fair game, but if MW uses it and she doesnt he's giving himself an unfair advantage
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:43:49 PM
At 8/26/2012 8:41:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
wait has danielle too exploited this? If both debaters push their round over the limit I say it's fair game, but if MW uses it and she doesnt he's giving himself an unfair advantage

He told her he used it, and she didn't care. Anyways, it wasn't in the rules, so I don't see why it matters.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:48:44 PM
At 8/26/2012 8:43:49 PM, TUF wrote:
At 8/26/2012 8:41:14 PM, thett3 wrote:

He told her he used it, and she didn't care. Anyways, it wasn't in the rules, so I don't see why it matters.

It actually is in the rules. Before you accept a debate, you see this stipulation, among others:

Argument Max: You will be allowed to type up to 8,000 characters for every round of debate.
- lamerde

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:55:14 PM
At 8/26/2012 8:36:05 PM, TUF wrote:

I am sorry airmax, I find that perposterous. Why would going over 8000 characters be a conduct issue? That is pure nazi'ism, to harass another member for exploiting something both debaters can use.

Violating the established rules of the debate (8000 characters) is poor conduct and cheating. Neither debater can use it, so I'm not harassing another member for exploiting something both debaters can use. Either we allow for more characters or we don't. Currently the limit is 8k. If you are debating a new member of the site who doesn't even know about the glitch TUF, I'd hope that you would refrain from using 50k characters in your final round, not just because he didn't specify that you couldn't.

I personally think the character limit should be entirely removed, unless both debaters agree to a certain character set in the rules of the debate, or prior, etc. Right now 8,000 is the max that people can use, and so they have to accept it, but it is unfair when you have to argue an opponent case and your own case, and have no room to argue in, just to get called out for dropping points, and losing conduct/args for it. Really, I wouldn't care if any of my opponents used the glitch, unless I specifically asked them not to in the rules.

I respect your opinion on this and have talked with Juggle a little about the character limit and I imagine I will do so further in the future as I hear more opinions on the matter. However, your feelings about this and how it pertains to you, are not going to be universalized to apply to all members simply because of how you would like things. Furthermore, the use of glitches is not going to be acceptable by default as you suggest it should be, but may be considered by the 'voters' if both debaters agreed to it beforehand.

In this context it may be that Danielle does not care so much, but we all have to debate within the set parameters, and simply being unable to cut down ones text in a debate round does not give them the right to use an unfair glitch to their advantage as is being done in this case. If Danielle doesn't care, then voters can make up their mind how they see fit. But debaters should be able to win a debate using the same amount of characters as their opponent does.

Anyways, as I said, I wouldn't do anything about it nor do I consider it any kind of serious offense, I merely replied that, as a mod, I would not facilitate it, and that I do consider it cheating.
Debate.org Moderator
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:56:13 PM
At 8/26/2012 8:48:44 PM, Maikuru wrote:
It actually is in the rules. Before you accept a debate, you see this stipulation, among others:

Argument Max: You will be allowed to type up to 8,000 characters for every round of debate.

The contender has NO choice however, because 8,000 characters is the top selection. That is what I am saying. I don't think it should be brutalized over a million characters long, but I think it should be used if you need room to hit rebuttals to your case, and argue your opponents case.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 9:01:58 PM
At 8/26/2012 8:37:23 PM, MouthWash wrote:

It isn't cheating if people know about it. FREEDO and other have used it many times, and nobody has every had a problem with it. Besides, Nate was talking about increasing the character limit already.

Pointing to other violations of the character limit does not justify further violations. Even if Juggle talked about increasing the character limit tomorrow, does not justify violating the limit today.

Your debate has an 8k character limit. Stick to the limit. Being that it is likely Danielle doesn't care that much, and you made her and readers aware that you went over the limit, it isn't as significant as someone just trying to get away with it, however being a good debater (which should ultimately be the point) requires being able to stick to the parameters of the debate.
Debate.org Moderator
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 9:03:16 PM
At 8/26/2012 8:56:13 PM, TUF wrote:
At 8/26/2012 8:48:44 PM, Maikuru wrote:

The contender has NO choice however, because 8,000 characters is the top selection. That is what I am saying. I don't think it should be brutalized over a million characters long, but I think it should be used if you need room to hit rebuttals to your case, and argue your opponents case.

So long as it's a rule violation, a lose of conduct is justified.

Also, the contender does have choices, such as agreeing with their opponent beforehand on an upper limit or, you know, not accepting the debate lol.
- lamerde