Total Posts:30|Showing Posts:1-30
Jump to topic:

Character limit.

MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 3:38:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
When will it be increased?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 3:41:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well, considering that we have no true way of ascertaining any occurrence of the site, we wouldn't know exactly.

To be reasonable then, the answer would be: "We don't know".
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 3:43:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/27/2012 3:41:50 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Well, considering that we have no true way of ascertaining any occurrence of the site, we wouldn't know exactly.

To be reasonable then, the answer would be: "We don't know".

But yeah Nate should know. You can appeal or ask him about the currency of the proposal.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 3:45:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/27/2012 3:38:54 PM, MouthWash wrote:
When will it be increased?

To increase... or to completely remove...
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 3:48:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/27/2012 3:45:47 PM, TUF wrote:
At 8/27/2012 3:38:54 PM, MouthWash wrote:
When will it be increased?

To increase... or to completely remove...

A profound question that confronts us in this stage of life. ;)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 4:30:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/27/2012 4:27:27 PM, Wnope wrote:
Learn to be succinct.

"Arguments, like hunting rounds, need to be precisely tailored to the desired outcome they seek to effectuate".--YYW
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 2:56:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Bump.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 3:00:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"If you cant explain it simply enough, you dont know enough about it"

Id be fine with a 10,000 character limit but not an unlimited character limit
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
GenesisCreation
Posts: 496
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 3:12:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It is sufficient. I don't think it's reasonable for me to read anything longer than an 8k, 5 round debate. Voting quality would suffer by an inverse proportion.
Um....You've got a log in your eye.
"I would be suspicious of an argument without any concessions." - John Dickson
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 3:36:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Keep in mind that your opponent will also use more characters if the limit is raised. If you can't respond to 8000 characters with 8000, what makes you think you can respond to 10,000 with 10,000?
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 3:57:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/29/2012 3:36:05 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Keep in mind that your opponent will also use more characters if the limit is raised. If you can't respond to 8000 characters with 8000, what makes you think you can respond to 10,000 with 10,000?

You're, like, a genius or something.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 4:32:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
We should at least have an option by the instigator, to make it unlimited.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 4:46:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/29/2012 3:36:05 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Keep in mind that your opponent will also use more characters if the limit is raised. If you can't respond to 8000 characters with 8000, what makes you think you can respond to 10,000 with 10,000?

Actually, that was a special case. Danielle kept flooding me with bullsh*t and I needed more sentences than she did to deconstruct her arguments. However, I'm going to need something like 18,000 to put up all of my arguments for the next gay parenting debate (I want to put up the graphs instead of just linking to them, and they take up almost 8,000 characters themselves).
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:26:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/29/2012 4:46:02 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 8/29/2012 3:36:05 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Keep in mind that your opponent will also use more characters if the limit is raised. If you can't respond to 8000 characters with 8000, what makes you think you can respond to 10,000 with 10,000?

Actually, that was a special case. Danielle kept flooding me with bullsh*t and I needed more sentences than she did to deconstruct her arguments. However, I'm going to need something like 18,000 to put up all of my arguments for the next gay parenting debate (I want to put up the graphs instead of just linking to them, and they take up almost 8,000 characters themselves).

You do realize that you can just use pictures? The graphs won't take up any space if you do that.
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:53:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/29/2012 5:26:06 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 8/29/2012 4:46:02 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 8/29/2012 3:36:05 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Keep in mind that your opponent will also use more characters if the limit is raised. If you can't respond to 8000 characters with 8000, what makes you think you can respond to 10,000 with 10,000?

Actually, that was a special case. Danielle kept flooding me with bullsh*t and I needed more sentences than she did to deconstruct her arguments. However, I'm going to need something like 18,000 to put up all of my arguments for the next gay parenting debate (I want to put up the graphs instead of just linking to them, and they take up almost 8,000 characters themselves).

You do realize that you can just use pictures? The graphs won't take up any space if you do that.

It's a lot of work and I'll have to divide it into like ten separate pictures. But doable, I guess.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:55:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/29/2012 5:26:19 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Also, have some respect. Seriously.

When I come back I will make the resolution extremely precise and any sort of semantics or lawyering will result in an immediate loss. Then we'll see how much respect she deserves (assuming she takes it, which I wouldn't count on).
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 7:11:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/29/2012 5:26:19 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Also, have some respect. Seriously.

seriously you guys!
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 7:20:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/29/2012 5:55:56 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 8/29/2012 5:26:19 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Also, have some respect. Seriously.

When I come back I will make the resolution extremely precise and any sort of semantics or lawyering will result in an immediate loss. Then we'll see how much respect she deserves (assuming she takes it, which I wouldn't count on).

Dude, I'm not gonna honey-coat it, but she frankly kicked your a**. It wasn't even funny.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 7:23:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/29/2012 3:00:25 PM, imabench wrote:
"If you cant explain it simply enough, you dont know enough about it"

Id be fine with a 10,000 character limit but not an unlimited character limit

That quote is not entirely accurate. Sometimes, the topic is too broad. Broad brushing "it is long so you don't know enough about it" would be like saying every book about anything must be written by an idiot.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 7:27:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/29/2012 4:46:02 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 8/29/2012 3:36:05 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Keep in mind that your opponent will also use more characters if the limit is raised. If you can't respond to 8000 characters with 8000, what makes you think you can respond to 10,000 with 10,000?

Actually, that was a special case. Danielle kept flooding me with bullsh*t and I needed more sentences than she did to deconstruct her arguments. However, I'm going to need something like 18,000 to put up all of my arguments for the next gay parenting debate (I want to put up the graphs instead of just linking to them, and they take up almost 8,000 characters themselves).

So then you get "flood[ed] with bullsh*t and [you] need more sentences than she did to deconstruct her arguments".

Also, if you can't refute an argument quicker than it is produced then your argument is severely problematic and you're making some mistakes. You're either taking things too fast or taking things too slow (too fast = missing shorter arguments, or too slow = too much unnecessary tangential detail).
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 8:01:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just to make a point, I've taken your opening case, and I've edited it, removing the points that were irrelevant to the resolution at hand, and shortening paragraphs.

First round

Firstly, sexual orientation is not hereditary. It is subject to a large number of psychological variables. Second, there is a large body of evidence that supports an "exotic-becomes-erotic" theory, which states that whatever sex is seen as "exotic" or different becomes erotic, thus gender-nonconformity during childhood causes sexual attraction to the same-sex later in life[ http://dbem.ws......]

Peer rejection, a distant or belittling father and an emotionally smothering or needy mother (for boys), low self-esteem, and sexual abuse are major causes of homosexuality. Often a child will be unable to connect to others of the same sex, resulting in unstable and unhealthy sexual relationships. It is well established that gays have much higher rates of suicide or mental illness: this is directly caused by social stigmas or discrimination. This social imbalance is a strong case against the motion.

Furthermore, children develop better with both mothers and fathers. "Rough-and tumble" play exclusively with their fathers influences a child's social development and teaches them how to be physical without being inappropriate or hurting people. [2. http://www.psychologytoday.com......]

Studies consistently find the presence of the natural father was the most significant factor in reducing rates of rates of teenage pregnancy in girls. [3. Bruce J. Ellis, Child Development May/June 2003, 74:3, pp. 801–21] Children who are have traditional relationships with their mothers have higher self-esteem.

My opponent should also refrain from mentioning single parents again, or at least read the resolution once more.

"On that note, much like adopted parents, gay parents typically have to go out of their way to have kids (i.e. in vitro fertilization). Meanwhile 50% of heterosexual babies are unplanned. Psychologist Abbie Clark explains, "That translates to greater commitment on average and more involvement" [4]."

My opponent here says that gays make better parents through less accidental pregnancies. This is ridiculous; simply because it is a problem does not mean it is inherent in that entire style of relationship, nor does it mean that such a flaw will never be fixed or that unplanned pregnancies will never be stopped. By this logic the argument about kids getting teased is perfectly legitimate.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
wiploc
Posts: 1,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 8:26:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/29/2012 4:32:49 PM, TUF wrote:
We should at least have an option by the instigator, to make it unlimited.

And then a special button to facilitate asking, "Hey, why is nobody reading my debate?"
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 12:43:49 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/29/2012 7:20:36 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 8/29/2012 5:55:56 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 8/29/2012 5:26:19 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Also, have some respect. Seriously.

When I come back I will make the resolution extremely precise and any sort of semantics or lawyering will result in an immediate loss. Then we'll see how much respect she deserves (assuming she takes it, which I wouldn't count on).

Dude, I'm not gonna honey-coat it, but she frankly kicked your a**. It wasn't even funny.

Come on, Zaradi. It was kind of funny.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 12:44:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/29/2012 8:26:43 PM, wiploc wrote:
At 8/29/2012 4:32:49 PM, TUF wrote:
We should at least have an option by the instigator, to make it unlimited.

And then a special button to facilitate asking, "Hey, why is nobody reading my debate?"

Also, this.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 1:01:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
While what BlackVoid said is correct, I favor a progressively increasing character limit.

6,000 characters for Round 2
8,000 characters for Round 3
10,000 characters for Round 4
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 1:51:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/30/2012 1:01:32 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
While what BlackVoid said is correct, I favor a progressively increasing character limit.

6,000 characters for Round 2
8,000 characters for Round 3
10,000 characters for Round 4

That makes sense at first, but consider:

R2 - Pro writes 6000
R2 - Con writes 6000

R3 - Pro gets 8000 against Con's 6000 R2
R3 - Con gets 8000 against Pro's 8000 R3

R4 - Pro gets 10,000 against Con's 8000 R3
R4 - Con gets 10,000 against Pro's 10,000 R4

See the problem?