Jump to topic:

Why so many spam threads?

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 2:09:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
This isn't directed at a certain person in general who keeps spamming the Debate.org thread with pointless threads about how much he thinks this site is dumb for the most nit-pickiest of errors and that never generally get more than 15-20 posts in them. Nope, not directing this at anyone at all.

I don't see why people have to spam the forums with posts about how much they hate DDO and all the problems with the site. If they hate this place that much, then a) they can take it up with an actual admin or, lord have mercy, Juggle, or b) just fvcking leave. For christ sake, no one cares about how much you b*tch about the site.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:40:34 AM
Lol, I'm not afraid to give names. Our dear newcomer, CriticalThinkingMachine, has now exerted himself ever so wonderfully, seeking to change and revolutionize the site ever since his departure; he has preoccupied himself with technical details--voting issues and the categorizations, debate statistics, and so forth.

And while that is certainly a verifiable effort, and one to be commended for--indeed--, it's his often aggressiveness in defending such propositions that becomes the true question, the crusade that is clearly launched in stern and unswerving defense of his own agenda. I have no issue even with a mentality focused entirely on changing the site--which is admittedly annoying--but the corresponding behavior unfortunately proves unbearable.

Of course, that doesn't mean his agendas weren't terrible but not entirely conventional or feasible as of the moment, and nor does his entire preoccupation with them, as opposed to the silent complacency of a good deal of other members, prove fruitless in terms of discourse.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:57:10 AM
At 8/29/2012 5:40:34 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
Lol, I'm not afraid to give names. Our dear newcomer, CriticalThinkingMachine, has now exerted himself ever so wonderfully, seeking to change and revolutionize the site ever since his departure; he has preoccupied himself with technical details--voting issues and the categorizations, debate statistics, and so forth.

And while that is certainly a verifiable effort, and one to be commended for--indeed--, it's his often aggressiveness in defending such propositions that becomes the true question, the crusade that is clearly launched in stern and unswerving defense of his own agenda. I have no issue even with a mentality focused entirely on changing the site--which is admittedly annoying--but the corresponding behavior unfortunately proves unbearable.

Of course, that doesn't mean his agendas were terrible but not entirely conventional or feasible as of the moment, and nor does his entire preoccupation with them, as opposed to the silent complacency of a good deal of other members, prove fruitless in terms of discourse.

Fixed.

As further commentary, yes it is often annoying in the sense that a member who's relatively new and still becoming accustomed to the site not only distorts his own sense and perception by attacking others and even depreciating his seniors on the site, but now spends much of the the time focused on correcting the site's deficient manner.

Members of the site have become habituated to the site and have, in the process, understood the value, whether in human community or in the intellectual power/stimulation, of the site, in spite of both the trade-offs of participating on the site and its deficiencies. There is often the good distilled here, abstracted--and I speak this only generally since I cannot account for the virtues people have seen of this site.

What Critical Thinking Machine, unfortunately, is doing, with this unpalatable backlash to the site, is very likely to be disdained solely not only because his inexperience doesn't qualify him as some technical arbiter of the site, but that his obvious dissension with the site alone indicates perhaps a distortion of his own place within this community. And while there is no true mark to determine who is a strand in the community, it is certain that at least some contribution is required as a bulwark and some sort of interaction to allow diffusion of his image.

Unfortunately, our dear Critical Thinking Machine has no such luxury, thus explaining the disdain: with contribution and intercourse, the member develops not only an image that lends him favor but qualifies him in a certain position, which is variable in type. It can be equated with a single line: build up momentum and you will become visible, allowing yourself to be observed and indeed, in the eyes of the receiver, consider. That is not say there is no politics in this matter but that it is a simple truth.

Critical Thinking Machine has developed no true contribution, neither by debate nor by his posts in the forums, and instead has oriented himself around reforming the site, without a stepping-stone or previously-built momentum to allow for any image to occur, if we wish to separate our considerations of the site from other contributions. He has emerged here--so suddenly, unknown, barely recognized by the current members, and indeed new--having joined only one month ago--and yet he has come to define his presence here solely by such means and subjects.

Truly unfortunate.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 6:07:35 AM
That is not to say that a spirit of reform is not conducive in this environment. I don't disagree with changing the site, but would prefer a more qualified member, who has not complained of not knowing about the changes the site has undergone and who understands the community, to speak...about reforms...

...And who also understands how to tactfully make propositions without ruining his reputation and image in the forum, or eroding it, should I say, since his first effort to do so...

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 6:10:01 AM
At 8/29/2012 5:57:10 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

Of course, that doesn't mean his agendas were terrible but not entirely conventional or feasible as of the moment, and nor does his entire preoccupation with them, as opposed to the silent complacency of a good deal of other members, prove fruitless in terms of discourse.

Fixed.

As further commentary, yes it is often annoying in the sense that a member who's relatively new and still becoming accustomed to the site not only distorts his own sense and perception by attacking others and even depreciating his seniors on the site, but now spends much of the the time focused on correcting the site's deficient manner.

Members of the site have become habituated to the site and have, in the process, understood the value, whether in human community or in the intellectual power/stimulation, of the site, in spite of both the trade-offs of participating on the site and its deficiencies. There is often the good distilled here, abstracted--and I speak this only generally since I cannot account for the virtues people have seen of this site.

What Critical Thinking Machine, unfortunately, is doing, with this unpalatable backlash to the site, is very likely to be disdained solely not only because his experience doesn't qualify him as some technical arbiter of the site, but that his obvious dissension with the site alone indicates perhaps a distortion of his own place within this community. And while there is no true mark to determine who is a strand in the community, it is certain that at least some contribution is required as a bulwark and some sort of interaction to allow diffusion of his image.

Unfortunately, our dear Critical Thinking Machine has no such luxury, thus explaining the disdain: with contribution and intercourse, the member develops not only an image that lends him favor but qualifies him in a certain position, which is variable in type. It can be equated with a single line: build up momentum and you will become visible, allowing yourself to be observed and indeed, in the eyes of the receiver, considered. That is not say there is no politics in this matter but that it is a simple truth.

Critical Thinking Machine has developed no true contribution, neither by debate nor by the forums, and instead has oriented himself around reforming the site, without a stepping-stone or previously-built momentum to allow for any image to occur--if we wish to separate our considerations of the site from other contributions. He has emerged here--so suddenly, unknown, barely recognized by the current members, and indeed new--having joined only one month ago--and yet he has come to define his presence here solely by such means and subjects.

Truly unfortunate.

Fixed and amended for clarity. I made a few mistakes in the original version.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 6:43:02 AM
At 8/29/2012 2:09:19 AM, Zaradi wrote:
This isn't directed at a certain person in general who keeps spamming the Debate.org thread with pointless threads about how much he thinks this site is dumb for the most nit-pickiest of errors and that never generally get more than 15-20 posts in them. Nope, not directing this at anyone at all.

I don't see why people have to spam the forums with posts about how much they hate DDO and all the problems with the site. If they hate this place that much, then a) they can take it up with an actual admin or, lord have mercy, Juggle, or b) just fvcking leave. For christ sake, no one cares about how much you b*tch about the site.

You're right but,...eh this thread's a bit ironic no?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 9:45:40 AM
At 8/29/2012 6:43:02 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/29/2012 2:09:19 AM, Zaradi wrote:

You're right but,...eh this thread's a bit ironic no?

Possibly, I see your point, but if it took one spam thread to decentivize 5-10 others, would you consider that a fair trade off?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 9:48:19 AM

Fixed.

What Critical Thinking Machine, unfortunately, is doing, with this unpalatable backlash to the site, is very likely to be disdained solely not only because his inexperience doesn't qualify him as some technical arbiter of the site, but that his obvious dissension with the site alone indicates perhaps a distortion of his own place within this community. And while there is no true mark to determine who is a strand in the community, it is certain that at least some contribution is required as a bulwark and some sort of interaction to allow diffusion of his image.

Unfortunately, our dear Critical Thinking Machine has no such luxury, thus explaining the disdain: with contribution and intercourse, the member develops not only an image that lends him favor but qualifies him in a certain position, which is variable in type. It can be equated with a single line: build up momentum and you will become visible, allowing yourself to be observed and indeed, in the eyes of the receiver, consider. That is not say there is no politics in this matter but that it is a simple truth.

Critical Thinking Machine has developed no true contribution, neither by debate nor by his posts in the forums, and instead has oriented himself around reforming the site, without a stepping-stone or previously-built momentum to allow for any image to occur, if we wish to separate our considerations of the site from other contributions. He has emerged here--so suddenly, unknown, barely recognized by the current members, and indeed new--having joined only one month ago--and yet he has come to define his presence here solely by such means and subjects.

Truly unfortunate.

lol
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 9:49:34 AM
At 8/29/2012 9:48:19 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

Fixed.

Truly unfortunate.

lol

If you don't know what I mean. ;)