Jump to topic:

Newcomer's Fire

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 5:44:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Here is a question I'll offer to the community. Note that I'm not generalizing or trying to say that all newcomers are this indignant and often prone to such a disposition, but that there are some remarkable similarities in some new members, both in the past and in the present...

"Could it be said that this type of behavior is more common on the older members on the site with less and even minimal debating experience?

Loosing would present a direct affront to their egos and self-conceptions that somehow works into these debates, thus explaining the issues and arguments over voters and even to opponents. [There seems to be a remarkable correlation between a poor knowledge of debating, or inexperience, and these bouts. That's not to say there are no exceptions, but to just note an apparent correlation].

Any responses then??
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 5:46:07 PM
At 8/30/2012 5:44:51 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Here is a question I'll offer to the community. Note that I'm not generalizing or trying to say that all newcomers are this indignant and often prone to such a disposition, but that there are some remarkable similarities in some new members, both in the past and in the present...

"Could it be said that this type of behavior is more common on the older members on the site with less and even minimal debating experience?

Loosing would present a direct affront to their egos and self-conceptions that somehow works into these debates, thus explaining the issues and arguments over voters and even to opponents. [There seems to be a remarkable correlation between a poor knowledge of debating, or inexperience, and these bouts. That's not to say there are no exceptions, but to just note an apparent correlation].

Any responses then??

what the f*ck are you actually asking???
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 5:49:30 PM
At 8/30/2012 5:46:07 PM, imabench wrote:

Any responses then??

I'll rephrase my question: Can all these incidents be correlated with a lack of debating experience or knowledge? Are all these incidents of newcomers bashing and getting into arguments with their respective opponents also a result of a battered ego, lol?

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 5:55:06 PM
This thread should also be extended to any time where any newcomer comes here and becomes easily enraged--often for the wrong purposes, and due to misunderstandings, as result of something related to a debate/debates: voting, opponent's performance, etc.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 6:05:40 PM
At 8/30/2012 5:46:07 PM, imabench wrote:

Any responses then??

When he's ran out of people to troll in the forums, he picks on the noobs. that's what he's saying
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 6:11:18 PM
I don't think it is the fact that they are new. It just depends on their personality. Some people can't accept a loss. Most of us are guilty of arguing about the debate after the fact, but some people take it a bit too far and troll the forums based on their loss.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 6:18:00 PM
At 8/30/2012 6:05:40 PM, 000ike wrote:
When he's ran out of people to troll in the forums, he picks on the noobs. that's what he's saying

The bitterness in this post is amusing, ike. Please do not renew long-time hostilities out of the blue...

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 6:21:13 PM
At 8/30/2012 6:11:18 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I don't think it is the fact that they are new. It just depends on their personality. Some people can't accept a loss. Most of us are guilty of arguing about the debate after the fact, but some people take it a bit too far and troll the forums based on their loss.

I suppose that may be also true, but that sense does get adulterated by months of debating and interacting on the site. It also appears that many people often place great value in a win, either as an extension of an ego or some belief of the self; that explains a part, I suppose.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 6:41:50 PM
At 8/30/2012 6:27:32 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:
No better place to post but in here.

What does "nac" mean?

Not a chance (as one of the more perhaps common definitions of that term).

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 6:46:16 PM
At 8/30/2012 6:41:50 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/30/2012 6:27:32 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:
No better place to post but in here.

What does "nac" mean?

Not a chance (as one of the more perhaps common definitions of that term).

Or "Not All Caps".
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!