Jump to topic:

Am I just off to a bad start?

Chaos88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 4:50:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am new here, as I am currently in my third and fourth debates, I am wondering:
How often do people forfeit?

In my first debate, a round was forfeited due to a time out, then the final round was forfeited.

In my second debate, two of the four rounds were forfeited. My opponant says it was due to vacation and inabiltiy to post, but I am 90% sure he posted on other debates in that time frame.

In my current debates, I am waiting for the second rounds to post in both, after almost two days (so I may be jumping the gun on this question).

My question is, is this common for people to forfeit this much? Or have I just been unlucky so far?
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 5:21:25 AM
I once had six forfeited debates in a row. More wins for me, of course, but it was still annoying. However, I think to get so many in a row is definitely a bad start. People of DDO, stop forfeiting debates.
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 6:50:47 AM
If you want to have really good debates, it is recommended that you restrict the type of members that can accept your challenge when you create a new challenge.

Clicking on the "Only a member who is ranked as good or better than me" ensures that you are matched with a strong opponent who is far from likely to forfeit their debate.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 8:04:39 AM
At 9/3/2012 6:50:47 AM, famer wrote:
If you want to have really good debates, it is recommended that you restrict the type of members that can accept your challenge when you create a new challenge.

Clicking on the "Only a member who is ranked as good or better than me" ensures that you are matched with a strong opponent who is far from likely to forfeit their debate.

This, but eventually you should start allowing others to take part.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Chaos88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 8:15:27 AM

If I did this on my first debate, who could accept?

Actually, I have only initiated one of the four debates so far...
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 8:18:11 AM
At 9/3/2012 8:15:27 AM, Chaos88 wrote:

If I did this on my first debate, who could accept?

Actually, I have only initiated one of the four debates so far...

It wouldn't work if you did it on your first debate. But now that you have already won two debates, your "rank" is a lot higher and will match you with stronger debaters.

If you prefer to take up open challenges, then at least have a look at your opponent's debate statistics and the quality of their arguments from their current and past debates. That will tell you what sort of reponses you should expect from them.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 8:18:18 AM
Try not to debate noobs.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 10:39:43 AM
At 9/3/2012 8:18:18 AM, MouthWash wrote:
Try not to debate noobs.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)