Jump to topic:

Which would you push for?

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 5:37:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I need the opinions of DDO'ers to gauge what they think would be a better change for DDO

1) Raising the character limit to 10k or 15k
2) Removing the character limit completely
3) Making it so that sources do not count at character space

I personally prefer the third choice but I would like to hear about which one you would prefer the most.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 5:49:16 PM
One MAYBE...
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 6:01:00 PM
At 9/4/2012 5:42:46 PM, Zaradi wrote:
One, simply because three seems not very plausible.

At first, I read that as the "one does not simply" meme and it confused me.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 6:08:33 PM
At 9/4/2012 5:37:06 PM, imabench wrote:
I need the opinions of DDO'ers to gauge what they think would be a better change for DDO

I personally prefer the third choice but I would like to hear about which one you would prefer the most.

The first choice would be interesting, I mean as debaters, sure people would like it. But how about the voters? You're basically giving them another page or so to read and decide about.

Two is just unfair to those who have to read the debate. And chances are less people will read the debates.

Three would be very cool! It would just be difficult to implement.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 6:14:47 PM
At 9/4/2012 6:10:07 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
The third one.

The Fool: Being able to edit our post in forums discussions.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 7:12:53 PM

"If you can't explain it simply in a few words, you don't know enough about what you are talking about" Albert Einstein
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 7:52:18 PM

3 and only 3.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 10:11:49 PM
Certainly 3 and most likely 1 (12k most likely).

I think some things cannot be explained simply in 8k and when your points are so underdeveloped they need addition.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 10:14:37 PM

This

No, to much spam would be invited.

Unfair to people who cite books...

Wait! Solution!

Make the sig box type thing, like on the on forums, be on debates and that's where you put references!!!!

https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 12:30:34 AM
Very few people read debates of five rounds of 8K characters. Raise the counts and no one but the person who wrote it will read it. I promise I won't read any epic-sized debate.

Not counting source the characters in source links is fairly easy. The html is already recognized so it can be made into a click-through link. The recognized links cn just be subtracted from the character count. Doing so is a good idea because it encourages using sources and it saves the effort of fooling around with tinyurl.com. Debaters who use more sources shouldn't be penalized by having fewer text characters.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 12:48:58 AM

Only the third choice. Considering how members are often adverse to reading 5 round, 8000-character debates, it's best to say that it presents an even more formidable bloc to the voting here; I should also say that, assuming the debaters particularly--and fully exploit it, will likely be strained: the massive content demands immense explication, precision of statement and potential, frequent reference to subtler points within the debate, recapitulations of former arguments and contention, and so forth.

Debaters can learn how to write well just by economizing and adapting to the given character limit (unless economy and clarity can also be achieved at higher character limits). That's all. :)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 11:58:02 AM
At 9/5/2012 1:12:44 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Yeah, just add a separate input for source links/citations, and have it post like...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXBodyXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
3. ---------

^

And if you post more then sources in there you lose
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
MattDescopa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 3:11:22 PM
you guys need to work within the character space given. 8000 charcters is 8000 characters period. The limit is already long enough and hardly anyone reads fully completed 8000 character debates so to increase it will decrease voters.

the limit teaches that there are limits, it is actually part of the challenge to make a concise, coherent, and powerful argument. More character space means mroe fluff.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:06:59 PM
Three, mainly, and possibly a 10K character limit, but *ONLY* 10K character limit. And possibly the ability to edit one's posts outside the games forum.