Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Requirements to successfully publish a book?

famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 7:27:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
For about 6 months or so, i've been writing my own novel and i'm just interested in knowing what it takes to have it published? (I'm not even close to having it finished yet)

I've only written about 40 pages and around 20k words so far. I don't have that much time to continue writing (because I'm still at school). It's also partially because I've somehow made the story immensly complicated that I don't even know what the f*ck is going on and whether or not it would make sense.

Back to the important stuff, how do you get a book published? I heard that someone/on DDO has actually published a book before. Speaking to them in particular, did you have to have the following:

- Editor
- Any kind of license?
- Artist or anything like that (for the cover and all)
- Blurb
- Any kind of approval from the law or anything like that?

Additional questions:

- How do you make an income from writing your own novel? (novel in particular. I'd also be interested in non-fiction e.g. biography, documentary, textbooks, maths workbooks, instructive texts for science experiments etc.) Do the purchases become wired into your bank account? Or when book stores buy stocks of your book?
- Is it required that you use or birthname as the "author" when your book becomes published?
- How long does it take to get the book published? (from submitting it after everything has been written, and before sending it to an editor, unless it goes back and forth between editor and author)
- Is there a legal age limit for how old you have to be if you want to publish your own book?

Other questions not related to publishing:

1. How do people activate their creative juices to create really successful novels? Primarily, how do recognised novel-based authors think of such good ideas? Is this simply creativity or are other factors involved? Please don't give me useless answers like "NO DUH. THEY'RE JUST BETTER" or anything like that.
2. What separates one book to be better than another? For example, I've read the entire Harry Potter series and was fortunate enough to stumble across this BRILLIANT romance novel called "Dear John". What makes Harry Potter so much more successful than novels like "Dear John" (for all those people who don't know about the book "Dear John", I'd highly recommend it.)
3. Do authors usually team up with other people to create better stories? ("two heads are better than one", although I'm just thinking it might engage into hardcore arguments when major disagreements occur, and then end up with "GTFO, I'm not going to help you with all this, and you don't deserve any credit for all this/my work on developing the story-line" etc. More like, the more people, the bigger variety of ideas, but the increase in difficulty to agree on ideas.

That's it for now. Any help greatly appreciated.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 7:55:33 AM
My suggestion would be to send your manuscript to a literary agent. It will cost more money that sending the book directly to the publisher, but few major publishers consider works sent to them by authors without an agent; hiring an agent indicates that you are willing to spend time and money to improve your work and make it fit for publication.

Alternatively, you can self-publish your book through Barnes and Nobles. However, it will only be an ebook, and few self-published authors sell more than ten copies.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:06:05 AM
If you don't know where you're going, I'd stop and think about that first. When I've written before, I plan it out, then move "outwards" from a plan, rather than write a paragraph in a sitting. However, just reading over it again and working out what you want each paragraph to say helps.

But with the actual topic in mind, send it to a literary agent. That's usually best. However, I'd publish it on fanfic sites or similar piece by piece and see if it is popular. You get a lot more feedback that way. Literary agents turn most writers down. On average, they take in one author, maybe two, a year. And no matter how good you think you are, you're worse. Simple fact :P

Try sending off first chapters: that's usually best. That gets your work published quicker.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:09:57 AM
- How do you make an income from writing your own novel? (novel in particular. I'd also be interested in non-fiction e.g. biography, documentary, textbooks, maths workbooks, instructive texts for science experiments etc.) Do the purchases become wired into your bank account? Or when book stores buy stocks of your book?

In short, you don't. Most authors don't make their money writing books, they make a little from it, but that's all. Non-fiction requires a mastery of the subject at hand. Textbooks are written through contracts, not through the type you're talking about, and the successful ones are by well respected non-controversial doctorates, in general.

- Is it required that you use or birthname as the "author" when your book becomes published?

No. There's an author who published at 13 under a fake name, and no-one knows who this person is (though he's supposedly published famous fantasy books).

- How long does it take to get the book published? (from submitting it after everything has been written, and before sending it to an editor, unless it goes back and forth between editor and author)

For a new writer? A bit over a year would be quick. For an established author, a few months.

- Is there a legal age limit for how old you have to be if you want to publish your own book?

See answer to Q2.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:17:08 AM
1. How do people activate their creative juices to create really successful novels? Primarily, how do recognised novel-based authors think of such good ideas? Is this simply creativity or are other factors involved? Please don't give me useless answers like "NO DUH. THEY'RE JUST BETTER" or anything like that.

If you read a book, to be a good author (from the writers who I've talked with) they said that they got to a point where they thought "I can do this better than them" to write a novel. Most major books were written like this, in fact (Treasure Island is an example of this). But yeah, just read a lot.

2. What separates one book to be better than another? For example, I've read the entire Harry Potter series and was fortunate enough to stumble across this BRILLIANT romance novel called "Dear John". What makes Harry Potter so much more successful than novels like "Dear John" (for all those people who don't know about the book "Dear John", I'd highly recommend it.)

Because Harry Potter has no substance (similar to Dear John) and are both just escapist novels.

Long explanation: pm me. Short explanation: Writers are split into two camps: traditionalists who value "good" literature with meaning, skill and ability in the writing, and the "modernists" who value the tripe that comes out now with no hidden meanings, and just are random escapists (e.g. Twilight series is virulently hated by many traditionalists. At least HP is about the balance of life/death, but Twilight has fck all meaning in it)

Guess which camp I fall in to.

3. Do authors usually team up with other people to create better stories? ("two heads are better than one", although I'm just thinking it might engage into hardcore arguments when major disagreements occur, and then end up with "GTFO, I'm not going to help you with all this, and you don't deserve any credit for all this/my work on developing the story-line" etc. More like, the more people, the bigger variety of ideas, but the increase in difficulty to agree on ideas.

There are cases of it (I forgot the name of the book, but a vlogger who is a well known writer published a book with two writers) but mostly it's no. Trying to get two writers to write one book is 99.999% of the time idiotic. I would never do it as it would ruin every story. Unless the story is an escapist piece of tripe with no substance or message. It's not more ideas, because anyone can create an idea. It's which one is better, combined with which one should we do, combined with what someone means by "power" and personal views. Two people have to be essentially the same to write a good team book.

famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:05:26 AM
Bump
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 11:07:08 AM
Famer, if you are looking for someone to read over your writings, and critique it, I'd be more than willing to check it out for you, just PM it to me or something.

Anyways,
This article is a good one to read if you want to know how publication works. Finding someone to read your manuscript will be the most challenging part of the process, in which you will need to relate a lot with the publisher. If you were the publisher, how would you see your script? Is the book worthy enough to pour lots of money into making it public? Is the book going to gain popularity? Is this book going to be another book that acrues 0 readers, and wasted a lot of money getting published?

How does your book differ from other books?? Is it similar? Is it out of the ordinary, a new concept that might catch someones attention in the library or book store, more than any other book might? These questions must be answered first.

http://www.writersdigest.com...
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227