Jump to topic:

How to vote on a forfeited debate?

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 1:32:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I always assumed that the reason we take all seven points from someone if they forfeit is because they didn't respond and therefore concede. There are exceptions to this (a lot of people specifically ask readers to vote based upon what has already been said), but those only prove the rule.

Now if someone concedes in the MIDDLE of the debate, but later posts his arguments, then we only deduct conduct. But Wallstreet apparently disagrees with me, so I'm really not sure what to think now. Can I have some opinions?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 1:56:25 PM
One forfeit should only result in loss of the conduct point. Having one less round to argue, losing the conduct point and essentially making the voters less likely to vote for you is enough punishment for one forfeit.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 2:35:13 PM
At 9/9/2012 1:56:25 PM, phantom wrote:
One forfeit should only result in loss of the conduct point. Having one less round to argue, losing the conduct point and essentially making the voters less likely to vote for you is enough punishment for one forfeit.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 2:49:23 PM

That's an opinion. But what do people generally do?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 2:53:36 PM
At 9/9/2012 2:35:13 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 3:37:52 PM
At 9/9/2012 2:49:23 PM, MouthWash wrote:

No it is not...nothing in that statement expresses an opinion or unfounded belief, but rather a guideline. Generally, one forfeits only result in the loss of conduct since it topples the structure of the debate and results in one less round; multiple forfeits further the damage to the debater (who forfeits) and inhibits his performance remarkably, though one can always say that since it is asked for reliable arguments--then you cannot reward any member arguments if there cannot be any comparison made with an absolute dearth of arguments on one side.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 3:41:00 PM
At 9/9/2012 3:37:52 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

No it is not...nothing in that statement expresses an opinion or unfounded belief, but rather a guideline. Generally, one forfeits only result in the loss of conduct since it topples the structure of the debate and results in one less round; multiple forfeits further the damage to the debater (who forfeits) and inhibits his performance remarkably, though one can always say that since it is asked for reliable arguments--then you cannot reward any member arguments if there cannot be any comparison made with an absolute dearth of arguments on one side.

In the past, voters might have given points for arguments to the remaining side, but it appears the new reasoning--which I adopted--hinges on the comparison intrinsic in determining which side is more reliable. Conduct however--and obviously--is still rewarded to the most punctual side in the debate, as it has been in the past.

Now, I cannot explain how this has changed, but it does seem that voting trends have changed, apparently, in regards to specific points and compartments.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 4:18:42 PM
I've been known to vote conduct for the guy who didn't forfeit, and persuasion for the guy who did forfeit. I got some criticism for it, but, if somebody loses an argument even though his opponent forfeited, I think you have to vote against him.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 4:39:50 PM
When I made a thread about this I was basically slaughtered. Now it seems every one agrees with me. =/
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 4:56:43 PM
At 9/9/2012 4:39:50 PM, phantom wrote:
When I made a thread about this I was basically slaughtered. Now it seems every one agrees with me. =/

I guess you didn't know how influential you were on some of the newer voters, lol...

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 5:13:00 PM
MouthWash, I'm assuming you're referring/basing your question on this debate, right??

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 5:16:00 PM
At 9/9/2012 5:13:00 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
MouthWash, I'm assuming you're referring/basing your question on this debate, right??

How could you possibly have guessed?
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 5:23:46 PM
At 9/9/2012 5:16:00 PM, MouthWash wrote:

" I guess forfeits are a complicated issue..."--Your RFD---->questions about how to deal with a forfeited debate.

You also mentioned Wallstreetatheist in your opening post and seemed to have a bit of a conflict with THEBOMB who must have countered your vote, leading you to create this thread.

Just a hunch.

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 1:02:40 PM
At 9/9/2012 5:23:46 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

" I guess forfeits are a complicated issue..."--Your RFD---->questions about how to deal with a forfeited debate.

You also mentioned Wallstreetatheist in your opening post and seemed to have a bit of a conflict with THEBOMB who must have countered your vote, leading you to create this thread.

Just a hunch.

That was sarcasm.
Yep
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 5:41:08 PM

Generally, the experienced debaters just give conduct, the novices and those who are new to DDO often give either all 7 points or arguments+conduct which they shouldn't do.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 9:39:16 PM
At 9/10/2012 1:02:40 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 9/9/2012 5:23:46 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Just a hunch.

That was sarcasm.

Ah, okay. Thank you for using that in quite an inappropriate place or time, lol.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 9:45:02 PM
At 9/11/2012 9:42:11 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
Just saying, that in that debate, they both had equal forfeits...

And that voters should be focusing instead on the two's arguments, compared side by side...or any other avenue of judgement still left to scrutiny.