Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

How to cut down your case to fit the limit

phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 4:38:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This thread is for the best methods of making your case fit the character limit while detracting from your arguments as little as possible and still retaining good grammar/spelling. Please add anything you think of.

-Generally when I refer to my adversary I say "my opponent" a lot. Changing it to pro or con is usually one of the first things I do when I need to shorten my round. Each change can save you as much as 8 characters. If you use it 12 times in one round, that converts into almost 100 characters saved without having to change your arguments.

-Change the "ands" into &. That's only two characters saved each time, but "and" is used a lot in writing so it adds up.

-Cut out the formalities.

-Write numbers in digit form instead of using letters. One hundred can be written as 100. It doesn't look as good often but it does save space.

-Use a URL shortening site for sources.

-Try to use the same source for as much info as you can. That way you can make 5 claims while only having to use one source.

-Minimize unnecessary adjectives/adverbs. If you say "the study is largely inconclusive", just take out largely and change it to simply "the study is inconclusive."

Can't think of anything else right now. Please share whatever methods you use and please don't say the glitch.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 5:15:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Summarize your opponent's argument instead of quoting it. Seriously, people who use a bunch of quotes are killing themselves.

Ex: My opponent says that the DP has killed X innocent people. However, *insert rebuttal here*.

This is superior to quoting their actual argument, which will be much longer.

Or, you don't even have to do that:

"Pro's second justification for self-ownership fails. *insert reason here"
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 5:15:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 4:38:13 PM, phantom wrote:
This thread is for the best methods of making your case fit the character limit while detracting from your arguments as little as possible and still retaining good grammar/spelling. Please add anything you think of.

-Generally when I refer to my adversary I say "my opponent" a lot. Changing it to pro or con is usually one of the first things I do when I need to shorten my round. Each change can save you as much as 8 characters. If you use it 12 times in one round, that converts into almost 100 characters saved without having to change your arguments.

-Change the "ands" into &. That's only two characters saved each time, but "and" is used a lot in writing so it adds up.

-Cut out the formalities.

-Write numbers in digit form instead of using letters. One hundred can be written as 100. It doesn't look as good often but it does save space.

-Use a URL shortening site for sources.

-Try to use the same source for as much info as you can. That way you can make 5 claims while only having to use one source.

-Minimize unnecessary adjectives/adverbs. If you say "the study is largely inconclusive", just take out largely and change it to simply "the study is inconclusive."

Can't think of anything else right now. Please share whatever methods you use and please don't say the glitch.

and using (tinyurl.com)
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 5:17:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
And instead of making your argument title a statement, shorten it to 2 words. Ex: instead of "Contention 1: The Death Penalty has killed numerous innocent people", say "C1. Innocent Deaths".
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 5:20:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What I generally do is either

a) Cut the formalities. If that's no good, then,
b) Look for what I can argue in less words, yet still bring about the same point. If that doesn't work,
c) I shorten worded numbers into numerical numbers. If that still doesn't work,
d) I quote the beginning of what my opponent is saying and just use the good ol' "..." to include everything else. And if that STILL doesn't work, then,
e) I just make a brief reference to what I'm refuting.

If you're still over the character limit then, then you're doing something wrong.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 5:21:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 4:38:13 PM, phantom wrote:
This thread is for the best methods of making your case fit the character limit while detracting from your arguments as little as possible and still retaining good grammar/spelling. Please add anything you think of.

-Generally when I refer to my adversary I say "my opponent" a lot. Changing it to pro or con is usually one of the first things I do when I need to shorten my round. Each change can save you as much as 8 characters. If you use it 12 times in one round, that converts into almost 100 characters saved without having to change your arguments.

-Change the "ands" into &. That's only two characters saved each time, but "and" is used a lot in writing so it adds up.

-Cut out the formalities.

-Write numbers in digit form instead of using letters. One hundred can be written as 100. It doesn't look as good often but it does save space.

-Use a URL shortening site for sources.

-Try to use the same source for as much info as you can. That way you can make 5 claims while only having to use one source.

-Minimize unnecessary adjectives/adverbs. If you say "the study is largely inconclusive", just take out largely and change it to simply "the study is inconclusive."

Can't think of anything else right now. Please share whatever methods you use and please don't say the glitch.

Agreed with all of this. But I always feel just reading over something you can get out a fifth of the unnecessities.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 5:25:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 5:15:34 PM, Contra wrote:
At 9/9/2012 4:38:13 PM, phantom wrote:
This thread is for the best methods of making your case fit the character limit while detracting from your arguments as little as possible and still retaining good grammar/spelling. Please add anything you think of.

-Generally when I refer to my adversary I say "my opponent" a lot. Changing it to pro or con is usually one of the first things I do when I need to shorten my round. Each change can save you as much as 8 characters. If you use it 12 times in one round, that converts into almost 100 characters saved without having to change your arguments.

-Change the "ands" into &. That's only two characters saved each time, but "and" is used a lot in writing so it adds up.

-Cut out the formalities.

-Write numbers in digit form instead of using letters. One hundred can be written as 100. It doesn't look as good often but it does save space.

-Use a URL shortening site for sources.

-Try to use the same source for as much info as you can. That way you can make 5 claims while only having to use one source.

-Minimize unnecessary adjectives/adverbs. If you say "the study is largely inconclusive", just take out largely and change it to simply "the study is inconclusive."

Can't think of anything else right now. Please share whatever methods you use and please don't say the glitch.

and using (tinyurl.com)

I mentioned that.

"Use a URL shortening site for sources."
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 5:26:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 5:15:27 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Summarize your opponent's argument instead of quoting it. Seriously, people who use a bunch of quotes are killing themselves.

Ex: My opponent says that the DP has killed X innocent people. However, *insert rebuttal here*.

This is superior to quoting their actual argument, which will be much longer.

Or, you don't even have to do that:

"Pro's second justification for self-ownership fails. *insert reason here"

Yeah, I used to quote all the time, now I rarely do it. It also looks a lot more neat and formal.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
TheAsylum
Posts: 772
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 6:06:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 4:38:13 PM, phantom wrote:
This thread is for the best methods of making your case fit the character limit while detracting from your arguments as little as possible and still retaining good grammar/spelling. Please add anything you think of.

-Generally when I refer to my adversary I say "my opponent" a lot. Changing it to pro or con is usually one of the first things I do when I need to shorten my round. Each change can save you as much as 8 characters. If you use it 12 times in one round, that converts into almost 100 characters saved without having to change your arguments.

-Change the "ands" into &. That's only two characters saved each time, but "and" is used a lot in writing so it adds up.

-Cut out the formalities.

-Write numbers in digit form instead of using letters. One hundred can be written as 100. It doesn't look as good often but it does save space.

-Use a URL shortening site for sources.

-Try to use the same source for as much info as you can. That way you can make 5 claims while only having to use one source.

-Minimize unnecessary adjectives/adverbs. If you say "the study is largely inconclusive", just take out largely and change it to simply "the study is inconclusive."

Can't think of anything else right now. Please share whatever methods you use and please don't say the glitch.

Good advice. Great examples and help.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 9:46:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Agree with everything Phantom and BlackVoid said. Would also add - cutting out sentences where you repeated the same point. Shortening sentencing. Cutting out irrelevant info.

Also, do most of you save your arguments on the site by clicking "review"? I do it as long as I don't exceed the limit but once I exceed it and am doing my final cuts and revision, I have to use a word document because I can't click review anymore. However, word doesn't translate well into rich text so have to copy it into normal text, change it to rich text and re-format it again.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 10:06:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 9:46:16 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Agree with everything Phantom and BlackVoid said. Would also add - cutting out sentences where you repeated the same point. Shortening sentencing. Cutting out irrelevant info.

Also, do most of you save your arguments on the site by clicking "review"? I do it as long as I don't exceed the limit but once I exceed it and am doing my final cuts and revision, I have to use a word document because I can't click review anymore. However, word doesn't translate well into rich text so have to copy it into normal text, change it to rich text and re-format it again.

I never and have never trusted the site in saving my argument. I always use either a gmail draft or word.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 10:07:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 9:46:16 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Agree with everything Phantom and BlackVoid said. Would also add - cutting out sentences where you repeated the same point. Shortening sentencing. Cutting out irrelevant info.

Also, do most of you save your arguments on the site by clicking "review"? I do it as long as I don't exceed the limit but once I exceed it and am doing my final cuts and revision, I have to use a word document because I can't click review anymore. However, word doesn't translate well into rich text so have to copy it into normal text, change it to rich text and re-format it again.

I'll use google docs or word, its safer.
imabench
Posts: 21,216
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 10:51:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Give up
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 10:54:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
ctrl+A, then delete
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 10:55:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 10:54:47 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 9/9/2012 10:54:07 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
ctrl+A, then delete

xD good plan :P

Hey, it works for me...
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.