OFFICIAL: Release to Hit DDO TODAY!

SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 12:20:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Happy Monday, DDOers.

While Mondays are typically not very exciting, today is a HUGE day for Debate.org. Later today, we will be updating Debate.org with exciting new features in two phases.

Phase One: a new redesign. Our design team worked hard to give Debate.org a facelift with a new header and logo. The sign in and sign up process has also been simplified to enable easy access to DDO for new and existing members.

Phase Two: a new section called "opinions." As previously stated, we moved this feature over from Juggle.com/debates. The opinions section is a simple feature that serves as a form of basic arguments and opinions that is a lower level of effort for new users than the big debates yet more structured than a forum.

Utilizing the same categories that already exist in the Debates section, we will release two trending topics per day and invite you to voice your opinion daily.

Our developers and designers have been working hard for several weeks to bring you these new changes, and we are as excited as ever to continue bringing updates and improvements to your community in the future. We very much look forward to hearing your feedback, comments, concerns and more as we continue to make Debate.org the premier online debate community.

Suzanne
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 12:47:52 PM
*takes picture of current logo*
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 12:48:42 PM
HOW DO I CHANGE IT BACK

nac

Seriously, though, it looks like it was supposed to be twice as wide, and the brown is such a horrible clash that I cannot possibly express the clashing that goes on without relating to fecal matter and a kangaroo.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 12:50:40 PM
The Opinions update sounds nice, though. Also, just a small thing: adding a hyperlink on the "(1)" and larger numbers would go a long way to making it very easy to access what debates you have yet to do.

I'm hoping the look may be something that one can get used to, but when comparing to the tiny text at the bottom of the page, it just seems off.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 12:56:29 PM
At 9/10/2012 12:55:01 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
The whole thing has been spoiled for me . . . The graphics are poor and I see mostly text. Is there any way to fix this?

Can you give me a link to the change? I haven't yet seen it.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 12:57:04 PM
The whole thing has been spoiled for me . . . The graphics are poor and I see mostly text. Is there any way to fix this?

Oh, one more thing: When you scroll in, images become obviously poor quality. The text box is weirdly wayyy too far to the right instead of centre, and worst of all I don't see an easy way to accessing messages.

I miss the days when things were tested among users to see if the update was good/bad, and what could be improved. The blue/brown clash is the worst thing by far, though, in my eyes. I do not know if I will get over that soon...

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 12:57:43 PM
At 9/10/2012 12:56:29 PM, TUF wrote:

Can you give me a link to the change? I haven't yet seen it.

I got kicked off of the site mid-debate to get the update. Try Google Chrome to check if you've got an update.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 1:00:35 PM
At 9/10/2012 12:59:21 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I'm on chrome but haven't noticed anything different either.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 1:01:21 PM
TUF, you don't want to see the release if what I'm seeing is the release. I am seeing a very corrupted version of the regular interface. The graphics and tables are not arranged properly and there is just a massive line of text like this:

ebate Forum

Explore our massive, active debate forum covering topics from arts and economics to politics and religion.
Forum Descriptions Topics Posts Last Post
Debate.org
Everything related to Debate.org including announcements, questions, comments and suggestions.
4,724 131,420
TUF
0 sec ago
Arts
Talk about art related issues including government funding, theatre, and past and contemporary artists.
210 3,759
Cow
4 days ago
Economics
Talk about economic issues like recessions, personal finance, debt management, interest rates, micro & macroeconomics and more.
352 9,738
slo1
2 hours ago
Education
There's no shortage of topics here including teacher salaries, home schooling, and the voucher system.
509 12,363
Wallstreetathei
13 hours ago
Entertainment
Discuss movies, television, music and other entertainment-related topics.
1,190 18,500
TUF
41 min ago
Funny
Tired of serious discussions? Whether you want to share jokes or ask embarrassing questions, engage in more lighthearted and funny conversations here.
34 293
Wallstreetathei
13 hours ago
Games
Engage in forum games and discuss other game-related topics/issues.
1,905 194,031
THEBOMB
1 hour ago
Health
Have a health-related question or opinion? Take health advice at your own risk!
299 9,026
Ren
2 days ago
History
Discuss popular history topics, from the Civil War and slavery to the invention of the light bulb and the cotton gin.
53 1,152
angrymen
3 hours ago
Miscellaneous
Talk about everything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
2,868 134,925
Cody_Franklin
1 hour ago
News
Discuss topics ranging from media bias to current events.
609 12,588
MouthWash
15 hours ago
Personal
Discuss personal situations and ask for advice or help with lifestyle issues.
986 31,151
inferno
3 hours ago
Philosophy
For the discussion of all things philosophical including questions about existence, knowledge and ethics.
799 23,837
Cody_Franklin
1 hour ago
Politics
Got an opinion on a political issue? You've come to the right place.
3,832 125,908
JaxsonRaine
1 min ago
Religion
You're not supposed to discuss religion at the dinner table, so do it here instead.
3,200 140,421
Stephen_Hawkins
49 sec ago
Science
Engage in a broad range of science-related discussions.
669 17,420
TombLikeBomb
15 hours ago
Society
The seconds largest debate category is bound to shake things up.
1,092 42,950
Wallstreetathei
1 hour ago
Sports
Sports-related topics such as player salaries, favorite teams, and questionable calls.
560 10,791
Danielle
43 min ago
Technology
They say no industry changes faster than technology, so you'd better stay current on these topics.
476 6,396
1dustpelt
21 hours ago

Strangely, whenever I go to another page and then go backwards using my browser, it corrects itself. It's still very annoying, however.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 1:29:42 PM
I'm not experiencing the technical faults of RP, but I still don't like the site update.

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 1:30:02 PM
I hope it'll be like the xbox and I grow to like it, but I.... I don't think I will.

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 1:35:53 PM
Oh, and no easy way to check the debate challenges is also severely irritating, or a way to access specific forums quickly. A scrolldown menu on the two would be nice.

Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 2:20:02 PM
Who made this design. The color choice is awful, it clashes too much. My eyes kind of hurt looking at everything. This will take a long time to get used to. The login page, however, was nicely done. But the logo and branding really needs some help.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 2:24:32 PM
Er, I no longer have access to any of my messages, photos, or anything.. Is this a prank? I am calling that this is a prank my juggle...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 2:27:28 PM
So I have to click home everytime, just to go to my messages, and settings and stuff. I have to do an extra click just to get to the leader board, recent debates, any particular forum ,etc. On a laptop, this isn't so bad. But when I use my cell phone, I forsee this being a big problem
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 2:30:19 PM
I've yet to see anyone in favour of this change. It is an affront to the community. We need to rise up in arms! I'm sure I can reinterpret a section of the T&S so I can say it tells us to burn down Surrey...

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 2:38:26 PM
Some of the touches are more aesthetic, some are less aesthetic, and some are annoying. The sidebar is not available, which makes accessing media locations difficult. Also, to got a specific forum you have to click "Forums" then click which forum you want to enter; the old way was better because there was only 1 (or 2) new page load as opposed to the forced 2. Some of the best features are missing. I hope you fix a lot of the flaws in this update because this is terrible.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 2:38:55 PM
Yeah, this update does literally nothing of benefit to the site. I don't mind the logo, but is it really worse messing up the whole site for? Is there a way to have our other features back, and have the logo here? I would appreciate it if we could work out both, please.

The old way was much more pleasant.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 2:40:02 PM
At 9/10/2012 2:38:26 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Some of the touches are more aesthetic, some are less aesthetic, and some are annoying. The sidebar is not available, which makes accessing media locations difficult. Also, to got a specific forum you have to click "Forums" then click which forum you want to enter; the old way was better because there was only 1 (or 2) new page load as opposed to the forced 2. Some of the best features are missing. I hope you fix a lot of the flaws in this update because this is terrible.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 2:42:45 PM
At 9/10/2012 2:40:02 PM, TUF wrote:
At 9/10/2012 2:38:26 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The new logo and the very top bar is (though less practical) more aesthetic, some are less aesthetic, and a lot are annoying. The sidebar is not available, which makes accessing media locations difficult. Also, to got a specific forum you have to click "Forums" then click which forum you want to enter; the old way was better because there was only 1 (or 2) new page load as opposed to the forced 2. Some of the best features are missing. I hope you fix a lot of the flaws in this update because this is terrible.

fix'd for my own opinion.

Also, just to the community, please keep this near the top so the Juggle Staff see this thread.

Could do a list of names against the change/for changing the change drastically to make it clearer:

1. Stephen_Hawkins

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 2:47:39 PM
VOICING SUPPORT AGAINST THE NEW UPDATES

1. Stephen_Hawkins
2. Royalpaladin
3. Wallstreetatheist
4. TUF
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 2:48:35 PM
I just realized that the Sidebar isn't there. It's so difficult for me to get to my profile or messages. I don't know if someone else pointed that out, but its a real nuisance to go to the home page just to get to my profile or messages.