Jump to topic:

Does the contender have an advantage?

alex1094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 12:31:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've always held the opinion that the contender has an advantage because he gets the last word and therefore the final rebuttal. Anyone else's thoughts on this?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 12:43:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/10/2012 12:31:54 PM, alex1094 wrote:
I've always held the opinion that the contender has an advantage because he gets the last word and therefore the final rebuttal. Anyone else's thoughts on this?

I always thought the contender had an advantage, but for different reasons.

Here's my opinion: It's psychological. You'll notice that the vast plethora of my debates are as a chalenger, not the proponent. The reason for this is because I have noticed from watching other peoples debates, that the contender often times is more likely to win.

My theory is that people often tend to dis-agree with a proposed sentiment. You see this both in the forums, and in the debates.

If someone makes a forum, talking about something they are interested in, you'll often notice people shooting the idea down instantly, or automatically dis-agreeing with it. "Oh that wouldn't work, this is why, etc".

Do people do it to be smart, to gain a bandwagon? I don't know. But the same thing carries over in debates as well. You always get someone who will start a debate under the thoughts of "Oh this will be a great idea!". Maybe it is a great idea mate, but this is a debate site, and people are designed to automatically dis-agree with any ideas against the norm, so better give up while you have the chance. You see, all the contender has to do when accepting these debates, is show the many reasons why he believes this is faulty, and have other people bandwagon against an idea, which is a common occurrence here on the site.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227