Jump to topic:

Depression And DDO *

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 12:42:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I noticed that there are some users who come here because they are depressed, or anxiety ridden. So it is obvious, that this environment is some sort of remedy,
or solace to these type of people. This is their outlet, which represents
a forum where they can vent their deep seeded frustrations of life onto the
minds of others. Like that JimTimmy guy. LOL. What do you think. Is it the dakrness, or void of thought. Is it the impersonalization. Is it the intimacy, or anonymous profiles that makes one seem comfortable in a place where being psychologically defiled is the norm.
What makes DDO so appealing to the depressed, and oppressed.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 12:54:22 PM
At 9/10/2012 12:42:00 PM, inferno wrote:
I noticed that there are some users who come here because they are depressed, or anxiety ridden. So it is obvious, that this environment is some sort of remedy,
minds of others. Like that JimTimmy guy. LOL. What do you think. Is it the dakrness, or void of thought. Is it the impersonalization. Is it the intimacy, or anonymous profiles that makes one seem comfortable in a place where being psychologically defiled is the norm.

It offers a chance to replicate the feelings in a more relatively safe environment, then in a real life scenario. If we vent our depression in real life, who would really care? It effects peoples judgements of you. It's safer to vent them here for a few reasons.

1. Even though your just as likely to get flak for crying about your problems here, at least you were able to vent them out, and people listened. Just because someone on here thinks your a cry baby, doesn't mean that they aren't at least devoting you the attention you feel you so deserve. We saw this with the Writer Dave shenanigans.

2. On a debate site such as this, we can question other strong minded individuals on whether or not we are justified in our emotional reactions. Depending on how much crap, or sympathy we get, we can see whether we really are just being emotional or crazy, etc.

3. There are a lot of intelligent members on the site, that can seek to give out helpful advice, in a more pragmatic way. You don't get that all the time in real life. Most of the time, IRL, the best advice you can get is "Don't worry, it'll get better in time!"
or, "You just have to be strong." Etc.

Here we get advice that contains actual substance.

One thing is for sure, if someone comes here to complain about life, and expects sympathy, you're going to have a hard time getting it. Most of our debaters are willing to feed you with whatever helpful advice their brains can muster up, but are they willing to feed into your emotional pity party? I think not.

Just some thoughts.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 1:03:30 PM

Have you ever considered suicide?

If not, please do.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 1:05:39 PM
At 9/10/2012 1:03:30 PM, MouthWash wrote:

If not, please do.

Go away.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
Jessalyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 1:19:13 PM
Because depression is often caused by the feeling of being "misunderstood." DDO is filled with like-minded people, so it sometimes helps with that for some people, I suppose.
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 5:15:27 PM

If not, please do.

No.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 5:37:01 PM

If not, please do.:

Sigged.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 6:23:00 PM
At 9/10/2012 5:37:01 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

If not, please do.:

Sigged.

Would that be a wall of shame or wall of honor?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 6:28:09 PM

If not, please do.

I have absolutely no problem with people with opposing views to mine. I do have a problem with people who say things like this. That is an absolutely disgusting thing to say to another person.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 6:31:40 PM
At 9/10/2012 6:28:09 PM, stubs wrote:

If not, please do.

I have absolutely no problem with people with opposing views to mine. I do have a problem with people who say things like this. That is an absolutely disgusting thing to say to another person.

I agree. This is why Im trying to help Jimmy out. I really feel for the guy in some ways because I sense how distraught he truly is.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 10:49:08 PM

If not, please do.

This. I don't give a sh!t how much they piss you off, telling them to kill themself is an overreaction, at best. Period.
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 12:04:41 AM
At 9/10/2012 10:49:08 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

If not, please do.

This. I don't give a sh!t how much they piss you off, telling them to kill themself is an overreaction, at best. Period.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 10:55:56 AM

If not, please do.

Um, I was talking to a troll. I don't think anyone actually wants inferno to off himself, regardless of how much it would improve the site. You seem to have taken a peculiar interest in what I do, what I think and why ever since our ill-fated debate.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 10:57:13 AM
At 9/11/2012 10:55:56 AM, MouthWash wrote:

If not, please do.

Um, I was talking to a troll. I don't think anyone actually wants inferno to off himself, regardless of how much it would improve the site. You seem to have taken a peculiar interest in what I do, what I think and why ever since our ill-fated debate.

Actually that individual was not speaking about me. And yet again you fail to realize just how much I am loved here at DDO. Youre pathetic.