OFFICIAL: Site Updates: Message Notification

SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 10:48:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Good evening DDOers,

Based on your feedback in forum thread http://debate.org... we understand the need for a simple way to view your messages in real time. We will be adding a global feature to the top right hand section of the header. This feature will display the current number of unread messages in addition to new alerts. We will also be adding a link to your profile within the Settings dropdown box for easier access.

We will move "People" to the dropdown feature under settings to keep the navigation focused on the three different forms of debating and communicating.

Below is a link that showcases the notification icons as well as the new dropdown features under settings.

http://d.pr...

Our goal for this release is to quickly give you greater accessibility to the most requested features.

As you know we work in iterations and always welcome your feedback as we continue to grow the site and make Debate.org the premier online debate community.

Thanks,
Suzanne
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 10:52:15 PM
At 9/13/2012 10:48:37 PM, SObszanski wrote:
Good evening DDOers,

Based on your feedback in forum thread http://debate.org... we understand the need for a simple way to view your messages in real time. We will be adding a global feature to the top right hand section of the header. This feature will display the current number of unread messages in addition to new alerts. We will also be adding a link to your profile within the Settings dropdown box for easier access.

We will move "People" to the dropdown feature under settings to keep the navigation focused on the three different forms of debating and communicating.

Below is a link that showcases the notification icons as well as the new dropdown features under settings.

Our goal for this release is to quickly give you greater accessibility to the most requested features.

As you know we work in iterations and always welcome your feedback as we continue to grow the site and make Debate.org the premier online debate community.

Thanks,
Suzanne

I hear wedding bells between DDO Citizens and Juggle.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 10:59:28 PM
At 9/13/2012 10:52:15 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
Good evening DDOers,

Thanks,
Suzanne

I hear wedding bells between DDO Citizens and Juggle.

I hear the Halo theme..........weird.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 11:19:24 PM
Good evening DDOers,

Thanks,
Suzanne

Now THIS is a feature I can get behind. Well done.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 11:25:06 PM
I didn't notice the message and debate thing! Me gusta.

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 11:58:29 PM
Suggestion: Is there any chance you could fix the messages bar so that it scrolls down along with the user when the user goes to the bottom of a long PM or a forum post rather than having the user scroll all the way back up and down again to see a new message?
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 12:20:53 AM
At 9/13/2012 11:58:29 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Suggestion: Is there any chance you could fix the messages bar so that it scrolls down along with the user when the user goes to the bottom of a long PM or a forum post rather than having the user scroll all the way back up and down again to see a new message?

Well, thats kind of...minor. It takes literally half a second to move the scroll bar back up to see the sidebar.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 1:36:48 AM
Can you fix the glitch that the first reply to a PM won't show up as a notification?

Thank you so much for your guyses support.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 9:59:32 AM
bossyburrito,

Thank you for the feedback. We have added this issue to our list of future releases to resolve this issue for the community.

Thanks,
Suzanne
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 10:01:07 AM
Can you please get rid of the box that says, "Your comment has been posted" after you post on someone's profile? It's obnoxious and unnecessary, which also wastes time with an extra step.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:38:10 PM
That looks great. Notifications are a good idea :)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:40:00 PM
At 9/14/2012 10:01:07 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Can you please get rid of the box that says, "Your comment has been posted" after you post on someone's profile? It's obnoxious and unnecessary, which also wastes time with an extra step.

What? no. I probably wouldn't ever notice when people posted on my profile in time if it wasn't for that.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:42:12 PM
At 9/17/2012 5:40:00 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:01:07 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

What? no. I probably wouldn't ever notice when people posted on my profile in time if it wasn't for that.

He means that, when you post a comment on someone else's profile, or your own, this little pop-up appears, simply to tell you your comment went through. Go post on someone's profile, you'll see it.

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 9:34:12 PM
So far the changes have made the site graphics somewhat more attractive, the site certainly harder to use and with less information. The leaderboard has disappeared in favor of People > sort by percentile which gives no relevant info. It requires a magnifying glass to find out what debates are in the challenge period. Help and the FAQ remain buried where new users will never find them. No improvements have been made regarding the debate functions: no Elo rankings, no automation of tournaments, no feature to omit links in the character limits, no attention to the problem of lack of voting. Moderating of the forums has degenerated to where insults and rants are common.

I'm guessing the idea is to make the site more about social networking and less about debate. If that is not the purpose, that's nonetheless what's happening. It's becoming less clear what advantage debate.org has over facebook. It would be nice if some part of the site restored an emphasis on debate. Maybe there could be a portal into the place for debaters.