Jump to topic:

Can we ban people who plagiarize?

JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 7:31:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I find it(among other things) extremely insulting for people to plagiarize on a website that is supposed to be about thinking for yourself, making your own arguments, etc...

We shouldn't put up with clowns who consistently rip off the work of others, especially when no credit is given.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 8:48:43 AM
At 9/16/2012 7:43:17 AM, TheAsylum wrote:
Boo-Hoo. : (

As you can see by this post, plagiarism is now considered virtuous and the right thing to do. People think they are smart by cutting and pasting entire blocks of text. Regurgitation is the way to go. Get used to it, the new generation sees nothing wrong with it.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 8:50:11 AM
At 9/16/2012 8:48:43 AM, sadolite wrote:

As you can see by this post, plagiarism is now considered virtuous and the right thing to do. People think they are smart by cutting and pasting entire blocks of text. Regurgitation is the way to go. Get used to it, the new generation sees nothing wrong with it.

LOL, that individual is a member of your generation. It has nothing to do with us and everything to do with you.
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 8:57:36 AM
You wanted info, I gave info. The people who spent their lives doing this work can speak louder than anyone. You can not deny the evidence so what is the resort? Well, you did not write your own book about it. Get serious. Not to mention, I left two or three sources out, that I thought I added. I did give like atleast 8 sources. Crying, that is all it is. Let's look at what plagarism is, plagarism is me trying to make money or taking credit for something someone else wrote. I am not taking credit nor have I attempted too. I yell that I didnt write nor gather the eivence instead of these people. This was not a official debate, it was in the forum. I provided evidence for claims you wanted evidence for and then cry because I did and you can not deny it. This is the result.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 9:05:50 AM
At 9/16/2012 8:57:36 AM, TheAsylum wrote:
You wanted info, I gave info. The people who spent their lives doing this work can speak louder than anyone. You can not deny the evidence so what is the resort? Well, you did not write your own book about it. Get serious. Not to mention, I left two or three sources out, that I thought I added. I did give like atleast 8 sources. Crying, that is all it is. Let's look at what plagarism is, plagarism is me trying to make money or taking credit for something someone else wrote. I am not taking credit nor have I attempted too. I yell that I didnt write nor gather the eivence instead of these people. This was not a official debate, it was in the forum. I provided evidence for claims you wanted evidence for and then cry because I did and you can not deny it. This is the result.

I just spent a lot of time demolishing your case. We can direct everyone to that if you want.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 9:26:05 AM

Lol.

First, you haven't refuted anything I have said. I'm referring to your post about the pyramids, where you clearly plagiarized.

It is one thing to post

"Blah blah blah blah blah" - www.source.com

It is another thing to take Sentence 1 from source 1, sentence 2 from source 2, paragraph 3 from source 1, paragraph 4 from source 4, and post

Sentence 1. Sentence 2. Paragraph 3.

Paragraph 4.

Source 1 source 2 source 4

In the first instance, you make it clear that you are quoting another source.

In the second instance, you not only combine quotes from different sources, but you don't make it clear what, if anything, is copied. When you copy/paste without any indication that you have done so, that is plagiarism. Most people will write their own arguments, and then post the sources for them... not copy their source's arguments without using quotes.
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 9:42:36 AM
At 9/16/2012 9:05:50 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

I just spent a lot of time demolishing your case. We can direct everyone to that if you want.

Please do, because if you call demolishing... your dumber than I thought.
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 9:44:33 AM
At 9/16/2012 9:26:05 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

Lol.

First, you haven't refuted anything I have said. :

You havent said anything worth refuting, that is the problem. Pure ignorance.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 9:50:41 AM
At 9/16/2012 9:42:36 AM, TheAsylum wrote:

Really? I invite everyone to read what we discussed.

I distinctly remember that someone named ScottyDouglas was dubbed the most idiotic member of this website. Your whole case rested on the presumption that giants had advanced tech and that Egyptians were dumb. You had nothing to say after pointed not only that out, but also the fact that the Inventory Stela was a forgery supposedly created 700 years after Khufu's death that supposedly is a copy of another document that was never found that has never existed.
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 10:02:57 AM
At 9/16/2012 9:50:41 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 9/16/2012 9:42:36 AM, TheAsylum wrote:

Really? I invite everyone to read what we discussed.

I distinctly remember that someone named ScottyDouglas was dubbed the most idiotic member of this website. Your whole case rested on the presumption that giants had advanced tech and that Egyptians were dumb. You had nothing to say after pointed not only that out, but also the fact that the Inventory Stela was a forgery supposedly created 700 years after Khufu's death that supposedly is a copy of another document that was never found that has never existed.

You still have yet to show that Khufu's inscription was not forged also, I supplied multiple sources. If the majority of this website's, dubs, matter in real life then that would mean something. Most of you are children who's knowledge and learning are decades inferior. Your opinions truely matter. I never stated, ever, that Egyptians were dumb, that is your claim. Is that how you feel? Seeming that we still can not repeat those structures and their precise building calculations then I would say they had a higher technology.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 11:32:10 AM
At 9/16/2012 7:31:38 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
I find it(among other things) extremely insulting for people to plagiarize on a website that is supposed to be about thinking for yourself, making your own arguments, etc...

We shouldn't put up with clowns who consistently rip off the work of others, especially when no credit is given.

we cant ban people who plagiarize, its just a sign that shows how bad people are at debating and arguing their own case.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 1:35:01 PM
At 9/16/2012 11:32:10 AM, imabench wrote:

we cant ban people who plagiarize, its just a sign that shows how bad people are at debating and arguing their own case.

And that they don't want to exercise their faculties honestly or in a prudent manner. :)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 1:50:27 PM

It's not really a ban worthy thing, even if you are correct that it is insulting and reflects poorly on that individual... Point it out in a debate and voters will be sure to vote conduct and arguments against them.
Debate.org Moderator
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 2:09:49 PM
At 9/16/2012 1:50:27 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

It's not really a ban worthy thing, even if you are correct that it is insulting and reflects poorly on that individual... Point it out in a debate and voters will be sure to vote conduct and arguments against them.

Debates, I don't care so much, you can point it out and the person will lose.

I know it's not ban worthy... but it should be :D

On a site about debate and intelligent discussion, there is no benefit, and some drawback, to having people plagiarize their arguments.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 2:33:07 PM
At 9/16/2012 2:09:49 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 9/16/2012 1:50:27 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Debates, I don't care so much, you can point it out and the person will lose.

I know it's not ban worthy... but it should be :D

On a site about debate and intelligent discussion, there is no benefit, and some drawback, to having people plagiarize their arguments.

Just point it out in the thread it takes place in and that should have the desired effect of discouraging people from doing it. But banning seems like a pretty harsh response to it.
Debate.org Moderator
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 2:43:53 PM
I know atleast in my case I am not on here to win debates as much as finding different ideas and seeing what is actually true. So if anyone votes against me in a debate for quoting too much of a good source and I lose the debate, that is fine with me. As long as I know I'm closer to the truth people can vote however they want haha
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 2:53:22 PM
At 9/16/2012 2:33:07 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Just point it out in the thread it takes place in and that should have the desired effect of discouraging people from doing it. But banning seems like a pretty harsh response to it.

You old softie you...

Plagiarism is too accepted in our society. Our VPOTUS was a plagiarizer... We should not stand for it!

That's it... another plank in my election platform. I will ban anyone caught plagiarizing!

JaxsonRaine/TBD 20XX!!!!
(!!! > !!/!!!!)!
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 5:49:26 PM
At 9/16/2012 8:50:11 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

LOL, that individual is a member of your generation. It has nothing to do with us and everything to do with you.

So what is your position on plagiarism. No big deal or a bannable offense. You didn't address the subject but rather in classic DDO style redirect and make it about the individual making a comment. My position is to kick people off who do it.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 5:54:17 PM
At 9/16/2012 5:49:26 PM, sadolite wrote:

So what is your position on plagiarism. No big deal or a bannable offense. You didn't address the subject but rather in classic DDO style redirect and make it about the individual making a comment. My position is to kick people off who do it.

And what would merit such a harsh response, Sadolite?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 6:00:36 PM
At 9/16/2012 5:54:17 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

And what would merit such a harsh response, Sadolite?

Considering hes a whiny bigot, its most likely based on his stereotypes of younger people.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 8:00:23 PM
Well sometimes people mistake plagiarism for other people's work that was submitted to blogs, wordpress.com etc and everything from DDO.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 8:09:05 PM

I agree.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 8:10:56 PM
At 9/16/2012 8:09:05 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

I agree.

seriously royal?

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 8:12:34 PM
At 9/16/2012 8:10:56 PM, imabench wrote:

I agree.

seriously royal?

Yes. That gets rid of Geo and Scotty. :)
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 8:16:27 PM
At 9/16/2012 8:12:34 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

I agree.

seriously royal?

I CHANGE MY OPINION AND NOW FULLY SUPPORT BANNING THOSE WHO PLAGIARIZE

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 8:17:22 PM
At 9/16/2012 8:16:27 PM, imabench wrote:

I agree.

seriously royal?

Get on FB. I want to talk to you.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 8:21:23 PM
At 9/16/2012 8:17:22 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 9/16/2012 8:16:27 PM, imabench wrote:

I agree.

seriously royal?

Get on FB. I want to talk to you.

Alright but no naked pictures this time.

JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 8:44:35 PM
At 9/16/2012 8:00:23 PM, famer wrote:
Well sometimes people mistake plagiarism for other people's work that was submitted to blogs, wordpress.com etc and everything from DDO.

It's pretty obvious most of the time.

Like asylum... he posted 3 or 4 paragraphs, that were all word-for-word copies. In addition, one paragraph was made by copying two different paragraphs from two different sites, and sticking them together.

No quote-marks, no mention that this is copied, no citation... that's plagiarism.
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 7:34:03 AM
At 9/16/2012 8:44:35 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 9/16/2012 8:00:23 PM, famer wrote:

It's pretty obvious most of the time.

Like asylum... he posted 3 or 4 paragraphs, that were all word-for-word copies. In addition, one paragraph was made by copying two different paragraphs from two different sites, and sticking them together.

No quote-marks, no mention that this is copied, no citation... that's plagiarism.

I have vague memories of Microsuck doing a debate based something on religion, and about 80-90% of his entire first argument (1st round acceptance and 2nd round first argument) was copy-paste from one of his blog.

There was no quoting of any sort etc. but that can't be considered plagiarism can it? All of it was his work. More like a template he was able to use for debates on whatever topic he was doing.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc