How are percentiles calculated?

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 9:53:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Number of wins.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 11:11:08 AM
As best I can tell, the percentile is the percentage of members on the site who have scored fewer debate points than the member. I was told that some time ago. It usually amounts to the percentage of members having ewer wins, but if you get out the members having few debates, that doesn't work. The leaderboard is updated erratically, so if you look at any one time, you may be out of sequence.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 7:13:23 AM
I am aware that the percentile is calculated by comparing your wins with the amount of debates you have partaken in, but what is the formula for calculating it? Why don't ties count as debates? Things more specific than that.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 8:58:09 AM
At 9/21/2012 7:13:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
I am aware that the percentile is calculated by comparing your wins with the amount of debates you have partaken in, but what is the formula for calculating it?

Literally its just number of wins

Why don't ties count as debates?

They are counted as debates, only thing they influence though is your win %
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 12:41:17 PM
Currently on page 11 f the leaderboard, yuiru with 11 wins is ranked below at least 50 members who have 9 or 10 wins. One explanation is that the leaderboard hasn't been updated recently, so that will change the next time it is updated. As one goes to the outer provinces of the leaderboard, where there are fewer and fewer wins, there are many more members not following the strict order of wins. Only age 26 there are four members out of win-order. Again, an update might straighten out the ordering.

When I inquired about a year ago, I was told officially (in no uncertain terms) that the ranking was not number of wins, but ranked total points scored. That's plausible, because as the number of debates increases, we'd expect the two measures to give the same rank. I'm inclined to think that it's wins, and the explanation of members out of order is that the board is not updated very often.

It's not very important. When it comes to picking opponents, Elo rank is the best guide, and that's not shown.
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 11:29:26 PM
I've seen where a lower win:loss ratio has a higher percentile, so I am curious at to how this is calculated myself.