Jump to topic:

OFFICIAL: DDO Enhancement Suggestions

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 3:09:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Drop-down menus would be nicer if it was hover (I know that's a 10 second thing, so it's just a small thing, but it'd be really nice imo)

on the side as a permanent feature (i.e. everywhere on the site) a menu to access profile, messages, etc. like before.

A pop-up or something to say "you've got a new message" or "you've been challenged to a debate" or similar.

Official Debates.

Team Debates.

Editing posts on *some* sections in the forum

A cleaning up of the T&S to make them not a joke (i.e. in a way that, if enforced right now, 90% of people wouldn't be banned).
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 3:10:36 PM
Ban "kfc." Also, combine the forums sections (Arts and Entertainment, Science and Technology, etc).
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 3:11:19 PM
At 9/18/2012 3:10:36 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Ban "kfc." Also, combine the forums sections (Arts and Entertainment, Science and Technology, etc).

kfc
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 3:11:41 PM
At 9/18/2012 3:09:49 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
A pop-up or something to say "you've got a new message" or "you've been challenged to a debate" or similar.

The message thing would already exist if the sidebar (which you suggested) was brought back.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 3:12:49 PM
At 9/18/2012 3:11:41 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

The message thing would already exist if the sidebar (which you suggested) was brought back.
The new chatbox icon next to the warning side (left to "Welcome_Username") seems to be working that way. Haven't received a PM since this update so I cannot confirm. Maybe someone else can.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 3:36:24 PM
ban all the stupid people!
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 3:48:23 PM
At 9/18/2012 3:12:49 PM, Mirza wrote:

The new chatbox icon next to the warning side (left to "Welcome_Username") seems to be working that way. Haven't received a PM since this update so I cannot confirm. Maybe someone else can.

Yes, exactly! The new chatbox icon (messages icon) will let you know when you have a new message. It will light up with the number of messages you have received. The alerts icon works the exact same way.

Thanks,
Suzanne
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 4:04:03 PM

I meant like on fb you get a box in the bottom right. That'd be useful.

Also, agreed with larz's comment on larger RFDs.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 4:06:42 PM
At 9/18/2012 3:48:23 PM, SObszanski wrote:

Yes, exactly! The new chatbox icon (messages icon) will let you know when you have a new message. It will light up with the number of messages you have received. The alerts icon works the exact same way.

Thanks,
Suzanne

Are you talking about on the dark blue bar? Because I've had multiple messages, and there's been no changes. One cannot tell at all. If the button is only visible from navigating to a different webpage, that is just as irritating as before, because all I did before (and many others I imagine) was click "debate.org" and go to look there.

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 4:36:50 PM
Bring back the sidebar, longer RFDs. Hell, maybe you could even split each section into its own box (i.e., a field for Arguments, S/G, Conduct, etc.) and give people 500-1000 characters to detail their reasons for assigning points on a per-category basis, instead of making them write it out in one large (space-constrained) post.
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 4:51:08 PM
Not that this is really necessary, but the "Funny" thread isn't really needed. And as far as I see it, it isn't wanted either.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 5:32:25 PM
1. Team debates

2. Increase RFD character limit.

3. Increase debate round character limit.

4. Ability to tag someone in a post.

5. An incentive system to increase votes and vote fairness.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 6:23:29 PM
At 9/18/2012 5:32:25 PM, FREEDO wrote:
1. Team debates

"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 7:11:38 PM
At 9/18/2012 6:23:29 PM, TUF wrote:
1. Team debates

Although it may be difficult to be made, but this would be really awesome to have.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 7:17:03 PM
At 9/18/2012 4:06:42 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 9/18/2012 3:48:23 PM, SObszanski wrote:

Thanks,
Suzanne

Are you talking about on the dark blue bar? Because I've had multiple messages, and there's been no changes. One cannot tell at all. If the button is only visible from navigating to a different webpage, that is just as irritating as before, because all I did before (and many others I imagine) was click "debate.org" and go to look there.

Stephen,
Yes, when you receive new messages the message icon (speech bubble) -found in the dark blue header at the top of the page- will light up displaying the number of new messages. You may need to refresh your page a few times to make sure you do not have a cached version of the website. Please let us know if this is not working and we will be more than happy to investigate.

Thank you,
Suzanne
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 9:03:37 PM
"5. An incentive system to increase votes and vote fairness."
Only if it is purely cosmetic.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 9:55:41 PM
1. Team debates

If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Viper-King
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:29:18 PM
I would like a record of each argument that we make for Quick Debates. Like a "My Quick Debates" category showing us our arguments.
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 11:52:57 PM
At 9/18/2012 10:29:18 PM, Viper-King wrote:
I would like a record of each argument that we make for Quick Debates. Like a "My Quick Debates" category showing us our arguments.

Quick debates are out already?? Since when? How do they work? How do you participate in them etc.?
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 11:53:38 PM
At 9/18/2012 11:52:57 PM, famer wrote:

Quick debates are out already?? Since when? How do they work? How do you participate in them etc.?

And can u just spectate on them?
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 7:26:36 AM
Drop-down menus would be nicer if it was hover (I know that's a 10 second thing, so it's just a small thing, but it'd be really nice imo)

I could not agree more!

1. I think we should keep the new logo that you removed. I like the new logo and it is nice.
2. I feel there should be an easy way to know who is a moderator of the site. Perhaps we could have coloured usernames or a symbol next to your name that indicates you are an admin/moderator?
3. Instead of a white background, perhaps make it a nice light blue background?
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 8:37:02 AM
At 9/18/2012 11:53:38 PM, famer wrote:
At 9/18/2012 11:52:57 PM, famer wrote:

And can u just spectate on them?

Famer,
If you visit Opinions in the top navigation this is what members are referring to as "Quick Debates". You can read other posts as well as participate.

Thanks,
Suzanne
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 11:19:53 AM
At 9/19/2012 9:44:46 AM, medic0506 wrote:
An option for more character space in debate rounds. Maybe options for 8,000 and 15,000 characters.

Or do it by words instead of by characters
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 7:20:06 PM
TAKE AWAY THE ALL-CAPS FILTER

nac
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)