Jump to topic:

DDO has declined.

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 9:36:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Please vote: http://www.misterpoll.com...
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 9:55:40 PM
At 9/18/2012 9:54:00 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
Can you stop making useless threads?

somebody make a thread and ask that!
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 9:57:24 PM
Well, I appreciate your sentiments, MouthWash. But there's a subjective line as to setting the mark between progress and decline, or even a poise or condition.

That doesn't preclude any call for further progress, though, or any complacency. :)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 9:57:53 PM
At 9/18/2012 9:54:00 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
Can you stop making useless threads?

+1
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 9:59:49 PM
At 9/18/2012 9:51:59 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Do you realize you split the "no" vote?

I cannot see the poll at all...except for options in regards to some "safe mode preference"....

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:00:05 PM
What the hell is wrong with you people? How is this useless? I'm sorry, does this thread not live up to your high intellectual standards? We must ban all threads that ask for a vote!
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:01:08 PM
At 9/18/2012 10:00:05 PM, MouthWash wrote:
What the hell is wrong with you people? How is this useless? I'm sorry, does this thread not live up to your high intellectual standards? We must ban all threads that ask for a vote!

Why would you want to ask people that question in the first place?
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:01:41 PM

Alone it's not bad, but with all the other crap you've posted, it's just another brick in the wall.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:02:46 PM

+1 actually.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:03:28 PM
At 9/18/2012 9:57:24 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Well, I appreciate your sentiments, MouthWash. But there's a subjective line as to setting the mark between progress and decline, or even a poise or condition.

That doesn't preclude any call for further progress, though, or any complacency. :)

I do think that DDO has declined, but just as likely I've matured and now see the world differently.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:03:44 PM

It's better to talk about the "decline" of DDO (in intellectual weight, content, discussion, etc) than to simply ask for a general survey of our opinions, IMO.

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:04:50 PM
It depends on context. One and a few months year ago ddo was in a sh!t hole. It almost sucked at that time. Now it's way better. Most of the older members though will say it's regressed from its original status.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:05:35 PM
At 9/18/2012 10:03:28 PM, MouthWash wrote:

I do think that DDO has declined, but just as likely I've matured and now see the world differently.

That's deep coming from a 15 year old who's been on this site for all of 5 months...
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:06:23 PM

A good start then! Go on. Do you agree that there is a context to be considered when judging the quality of DDO (as Phantom stated)?

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:07:30 PM
At 9/18/2012 10:04:50 PM, phantom wrote:
It depends on context. One and a few months year ago ddo was in a sh!t hole. It almost sucked at that time. Now it's way better. Most of the older members though will say it's regressed from its original status.

Well, this site has lost a lot of great thinkers. Kleptin, Logical_Master, WriterDave, Contradiction, YYW, etc. That's just off of the top of my head.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:09:24 PM
At 9/18/2012 10:05:35 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

That's deep coming from a 15 year old who's been on this site for all of 5 months...

Wonderful comment from a member who has been on DDO for one month! :)

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:09:25 PM
At 9/18/2012 10:06:23 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

A good start then! Go on. Do you agree that there is a context to be considered when judging the quality of DDO (as Phantom stated)?

I do believe that one can objectively judge how intellectual people used to be here. I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

Btw, when I made this thread I expected conversation about it to naturally occur.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:10:26 PM
At 9/18/2012 10:05:35 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

I've changed a lot. =)
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:11:42 PM
At 9/18/2012 10:07:30 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Well, this site has lost a lot of great thinkers. Kleptin, Logical_Master, WriterDave, Contradiction, YYW, etc. That's just off of the top of my head.

People come and go. Although I do agree that we have lost a lot of great people this is nothing compared with the "ancap exodus" that happened when I was a noob. I dont think the site is really declining as much as we miss the old times with the old faces. But people come back, I highly doubt we've seen the last of contradiction or YYW.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:12:29 PM
At 9/18/2012 10:11:42 PM, thett3 wrote:

People come and go. Although I do agree that we have lost a lot of great people this is nothing compared with the "ancap exodus" that happened when I was a noob. I dont think the site is really declining as much as we miss the old times with the old faces. But people come back, I highly doubt we've seen the last of contradiction or YYW.

Do tell.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:12:49 PM

When Kleptin and logical_master were active none of the others you mentioned were. They replace each other. Sure we lose a lot of great debaters but we also gain more.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:14:49 PM
At 9/18/2012 10:09:25 PM, MouthWash wrote:

I do believe that one can objectively judge how intellectual people used to be here. I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

Btw, when I made this thread I expected conversation about it to naturally occur.

Well, I mean that you should specify your comparison of the current state of DDO to a particular condition in the past. You can, for example, specify the "former" condition (and to what time ago...1 month ago, for example). :)

I see...and what type of conversation did you expect to emerge?

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:14:59 PM

Yeah, exactly what I was referring to.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:15:32 PM
At 9/18/2012 10:12:29 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Do tell.

This was before innomen was mod and before juggle cared, so there was a great influx of trolls and morons that really pissed off some of the top debaters and they all left. This included Sieben (banned) LF (back) Thaddeus (back left again) Grape, and many others but I cant remember them off the top of my head.... I do believe it was almost a dozen. but yeah a TON of intelligent people all gone at once.

blackvoid can tell you the full story if you PM him
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:16:08 PM
At 9/18/2012 10:14:49 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 9/18/2012 10:09:25 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Well, I mean that you should specify your comparison of the current state of DDO to a particular condition in the past. You can, for example, specify the "former" condition (and to what time ago...1 month ago, for example). :)

I see...and what type of conversation did you expect to emerge?

Not really sure. There are people who've been here way longer than me.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:16:20 PM

Well, there might be some who may disperse the vacuums left by few great members--Grape, JKenyon, Cliff.Stamp, Puck, Logic-Master, and so forth; the community is in a constant state of influx and evolution, and it sometimes progresses or steps back. And, as Thaddeus stated--in a conversation we had, DDO is constantly oscillating, so there is no true gradient to mark between versions (and their associate qualities).

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:16:51 PM
At 9/18/2012 10:14:59 PM, phantom wrote:

Yeah, exactly what I was referring to.

Actually not exactly. Before the exodus it sucked too because of trolls like brainmaster and extreme inactivity of Juggle.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 10:17:14 PM
At 9/18/2012 10:16:20 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Well, there might be some who may fill in the vacuums left by few great members--Grape, JKenyon, Cliff.Stamp, Puck, Logic-Master, and so forth; the community is in a constant state of influx and evolution, and it sometimes progresses or steps back. And, as Thaddeus stated--in a conversation we had, DDO is constantly oscillating, so there is no true gradient to mark between versions (and their associate qualities).