Jump to topic:

DDO Blog

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 12:46:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've noticed that Ore_Ele and socialpinko have posted on the DDO blog...
Excuse me if I'm missing something blatantly obvious, but how does one add?
Do you need to be invited or am I just missing this option...
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 2:19:51 AM
Haha, I thought the same. I just assumed it's being transferred from wherever we were blogging before.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 8:44:15 AM
At 9/19/2012 12:46:33 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I've noticed that Ore_Ele and socialpinko have posted on the DDO blog...
Excuse me if I'm missing something blatantly obvious, but how does one add?
Do you need to be invited or am I just missing this option...

Hey, guys!

If anyone is interested in writing for the DDO blog, PM me!

I need about 4-5 writers who can commit to writing one post a week (to be written on weekends and submitted every Monday by 10:30 AM Central).

The idea is that I will choose one topic a week, contact the bloggers with that topic, let them compose their pieces over the weekend, and then I will post one per day.

I've had a few people agree to write, but haven't been receiving their posts on time. So, if this blog is something you guys are really serious about having on the site (and I hope you are, because I am) then we need a good group of writers who can seriously commit.

If you think you would be interested in making this commitment, PLEASE contact me! The blog gets significant traffic from both DDO members and others, so if you are looking to showcase your talent, this is a GREAT opportunity!

Thanks!
Alex
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 6:25:13 AM
DDO does not need a blog, and especially not one that just expresses feelings. without serious analysis or factual support. The current blog is just ultra-left hot air, and the web is already awash with that (and hot air from the other side as well.) A debate site ought to encourage debate, not venting.

A good replacement for the pointless blog would be a featured debate. "Restured" means played up somehow on the site home page. The best debaters on the site do not debate each other very enough, and when they do it's often on some obscure topic. We have elections coming up, so one might expect a debate site to have a series of good debates on the election issues. This would potentially attract people to the site. It has more potential than just one more skewed leftist blog trashing Romney.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 8:28:48 AM
At 9/20/2012 6:25:13 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
DDO does not need a blog, and especially not one that just expresses feelings. without serious analysis or factual support. The current blog is just ultra-left hot air, and the web is already awash with that (and hot air from the other side as well.) A debate site ought to encourage debate, not venting.

A good replacement for the pointless blog would be a featured debate. "Restured" means played up somehow on the site home page. The best debaters on the site do not debate each other very enough, and when they do it's often on some obscure topic. We have elections coming up, so one might expect a debate site to have a series of good debates on the election issues. This would potentially attract people to the site. It has more potential than just one more skewed leftist blog trashing Romney.

Well ConservativePolitico sometimes posts there... but I haven't seen him for a while.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 8:45:59 AM

Well ConservativePolitico sometimes posts there... but I haven't seen him for a while.

I have been talking to the community about the blog for a couple of months now, and the consensus has been to structure the blog along the lines of the New York Times "Room for Debate" (http://www.nytimes.com...). As stated, the goal is to choose one relatively broad topic a week, and have members from all across the political and social spectrum give their own personal stance on the issue. A lot of DDO members seem to be in favor of this feature.

As I said, the problem is that I cannot seem to find members who have the time to commit to make this structure work. Therefore, in order to keep the thing alive, it has mostly been me and my "skewed leftist blog trashing Romney."

Roy, if you would like to write for us, I would be happy to have your opinions represented in the blog. Contact me if you're interested.

As far as what our best debaters are currently debating about... I don't really have any control over that. Naturally it would be great to see some debating about the current presidential election. Whatcha got, guys? From what I can tell, a lot of these discussions take place in the forums.

As I said before, if anyone is interested in writing for the blog, please PM me.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 8:49:30 AM

A blog is a typical part of a marketing strategy for something on the internet. I agree that it shouldn't be a partisan, skewed, or one-sided, but perhaps something much more relevant to the site, such as featured debates -- something that the home screen can link to for more info on the debates, etc?
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 9:19:51 AM
At 9/20/2012 8:45:59 AM, chrumbelievable wrote:

I have been talking to the community about the blog for a couple of months now, and the consensus has been to structure the blog along the lines of the New York Times "Room for Debate" (http://www.nytimes.com...). As stated, the goal is to choose one relatively broad topic a week, and have members from all across the political and social spectrum give their own personal stance on the issue. A lot of DDO members seem to be in favor of this feature.

As I said, the problem is that I cannot seem to find members who have the time to commit to make this structure work. Therefore, in order to keep the thing alive, it has mostly been me and my "skewed leftist blog trashing Romney."

Roy, if you would like to write for us, I would be happy to have your opinions represented in the blog. Contact me if you're interested.

As far as what our best debaters are currently debating about... I don't really have any control over that. Naturally it would be great to see some debating about the current presidential election. Whatcha got, guys? From what I can tell, a lot of these discussions take place in the forums.

As I said before, if anyone is interested in writing for the blog, please PM me.

Lol. "Homo-hating Chick-fil-A gets boycotted," and above that would be "Environmentalism is a religion." Epic.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 9:36:49 AM
At 9/20/2012 8:49:30 AM, Ren wrote:

A blog is a typical part of a marketing strategy for something on the internet. I agree that it shouldn't be a partisan, skewed, or one-sided, but perhaps something much more relevant to the site, such as featured debates -- something that the home screen can link to for more info on the debates, etc?

I have also been talking to the contributors of the OTHER DDO blog about including tutorials and how-to's that are relevant to the site. Is this the kind of info you are talking about?

Mainly, we are wanting the blog to serve as another outlet for discussion and debate, and incorporate user comments to get a dialogue going there. The intention is not partisanship, but rather to display a wide range of views on current issues in yet another format.

Nothing is set in stone, however. We are open to suggestions on how you want the blog to function on the site.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 2:42:02 PM

Socialpinko, OreEle, chrumbelievable, and conservativepolitico.

Yep. Sounds uuuuuultra-left.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord