Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

What if DDO had ads?

darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 8:29:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
DDO used to have ads when Phil owned the site. DDO removed the ads and specifically stated they don't want to put ads on DDO.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 8:41:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
We used to have to work for an income, but then the federal government specifically stated that we could apply for welfare.

They are running this site at a loss. If ads were put on, and they generated revenue for the site, they would have an incentive to take stewardship over the site and constantly improve it. But, I guess looking at side ads is too much for DDO's welfare-mentality.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 8:46:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What if DDO had aids?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 8:50:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 8:46:40 PM, socialpinko wrote:
What if DDO had aids?

I would care for him, and make the condition as livable as possible.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 8:51:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 8:41:49 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
We used to have to work for an income, but then the federal government specifically stated that we could apply for welfare.

They are running this site at a loss. If ads were put on, and they generated revenue for the site, they would have an incentive to take stewardship over the site and constantly improve it. But, I guess looking at side ads is too much for DDO's welfare-mentality.

How the freak are you comparing DDO's lack of ads (which I am thankful for) with welfare!? Although the stewardship argument can be made, Juggle seems pretty attentive to the site at the moment. Although I haven't been on the site when it had ads, but ask any sufficiently old member (like DK) and they will tell you that DDO used to have ads. Juggle has took them down and has said that they don't want to 'monetize' (I think that's the word that they used) the site. I, personally, don't want banner ads screaming at me. And I still don't see how this has anything to do with DDO's "welfare-mentality."
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 8:51:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Booty, booty, booty, booty, booty, booty, booty, booty, booty, booty rockin' everywhere, rockin' everywhere.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 8:58:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 8:51:16 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

How the freak are you comparing DDO's lack of ads (which I am thankful for) with welfare!?

They are running the site at a loss, which makes DDO an unproductive part of Juggle's repertoire. Similarly, people on welfare are unproductive and cause a net-loss to society.

Although the stewardship argument can be made, Juggle seems pretty attentive to the site at the moment.

Every employee who works on DDO also has several other (more important and productive) sites that they work on. Compare www.write.com with www.debate.org. [SEE: Video].

Although I haven't been on the site when it had ads, but ask any sufficiently old member (like DK) and they will tell you that DDO used to have ads. Juggle has took them down and has said that they don't want to 'monetize' (I think that's the word that they used) the site.

K. But what bearing does this have on their future decisions?

I, personally, don't want banner ads screaming at me. And I still don't see how this has anything to do with DDO's "welfare-mentality."

Addressed. So, you're fine with them losing money on this site in terms of employee wages, time, and server space, as long as you don't have to see ads?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 9:30:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 8:58:18 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/21/2012 8:51:16 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

How the freak are you comparing DDO's lack of ads (which I am thankful for) with welfare!?

They are running the site at a loss, which makes DDO an unproductive part of Juggle's repertoire. Similarly, people on welfare are unproductive and cause a net-loss to society.

I can't say anything much, other than "unproductive" is relative.

Although the stewardship argument can be made, Juggle seems pretty attentive to the site at the moment.

Every employee who works on DDO also has several other (more important and productive) sites that they work on. Compare www.write.com with www.debate.org. [SEE: Video].

There is no video. Anyway, why *should* something have to consistantly make a profit in order to live up to some standard of "productivity?" Wikipedia, for example, isn't for-profit, and it doesn't inherently meet your idea of "productivity," apparently.

However, I know what you are going to counter with: Wikipedia provides an important service, unlike us, where we do not. And I'll admit that. Not a lot of people, in the grand scheme of things, are going to boo-hoo over the loss of this website vs. that of Wikipedia.

But what IS your metric for productivity? Profit? Because there is a plethora of examples that would be considered at least really useful, that wouldn't be included in your metric of productivity.

Although I haven't been on the site when it had ads, but ask any sufficiently old member (like DK) and they will tell you that DDO used to have ads. Juggle has took them down and has said that they don't want to 'monetize' (I think that's the word that they used) the site.

K. But what bearing does this have on their future decisions?

People *LIKE* the fact that they don't have to deal with annoying banner ads, etc. Haven't you thought of that? Maybe some people would leave this small site if there was ads. That would not only detract from the quality of the site, but also help negate why Juggle should care about the site in the first place.

I, personally, don't want banner ads screaming at me. And I still don't see how this has anything to do with DDO's "welfare-mentality."

Addressed. So, you're fine with them losing money on this site in terms of employee wages, time, and server space, as long as you don't have to see ads?

To be perfectly honest, it would be just an annoyance if I had to go on this site with a banner ad. We, as a community, would probably get over that. (But it would be downright infuriating if there were flying ads or pop-up ads, and not worth the money that would be generated by them.) However, it is nice to go to one more site not supported by ads.
Chicken
Posts: 1,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 9:32:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 8:46:40 PM, socialpinko wrote:
What if DDO had aids?

Free chicken for all!
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 6:45:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 9:30:58 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

There is no video. Anyway, why *should* something have to consistantly make a profit in order to live up to some standard of "productivity?" Wikipedia, for example, isn't for-profit, and it doesn't inherently meet your idea of "productivity," apparently.


I'm not sure what he means by "productive", but seeing Juggle is a private company, profit is their measure of productivity, and what they consider to be productive is all that matters. You may not care if DDO loses money, but they do.

But what IS your metric for productivity? Profit? Because there is a plethora of examples that would be considered at least really useful, that wouldn't be included in your metric of productivity.

Again this is irrelevant. Your measure of productivity doesn't matter. You don't fund, run, and upkeep the site. Somebody else does, and it costs time and money. If how much profit DDO makes is their measure of productivity then that's all that matters.

People *LIKE* the fact that they don't have to deal with annoying banner ads, etc. Haven't you thought of that? Maybe some people would leave this small site if there was ads. That would not only detract from the quality of the site, but also help negate why Juggle should care about the site in the first place.

Nobody who actually contributes to the quality of DDO will leave due to more advertisements. They like it here too much. It'd take a hell of a lot more than that. You're just being stupid.

To be perfectly honest, it would be just an annoyance if I had to go on this site with a banner ad. We, as a community, would probably get over that. (But it would be downright infuriating if there were flying ads or pop-up ads, and not worth the money that would be generated by them.) However, it is nice to go to one more site not supported by ads.

There are ads everywhere when I check my e-mail, look up the news, and watch tv on the internet. It's worth it to get free e-mail, news, and tv. And nobody stops using the internet as they encounter more and more ads.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 12:34:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ads are perfectly fine...
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 12:47:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I wouldn't mind at all, heck I would encourage it. Juggle's been putting a lot of work into the site recently and they deserve some kind of reward.
carpediem
Posts: 61
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 2:30:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/21/2012 8:41:49 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
We used to have to work for an income, but then the federal government specifically stated that we could apply for welfare.

They are running this site at a loss. If ads were put on, and they generated revenue for the site, they would have an incentive to take stewardship over the site and constantly improve it. But, I guess looking at side ads is too much for DDO's welfare-mentality.

http://web-images.chacha.com...
"I would die at the stake rather than change a semi-colon!"
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 2:40:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
this topic has been done to death, and Juggle simply doesn't want to put ads on even if the ddo community consented with it.

I don't know what their business model is like and how they're planning on making a profit, but I'm pretty sure a multimillionare CEO knows more about how to run a profit than some high schooler. They have a plan. So just let Juggle worry about the profitability of Debate.org
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 2:58:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why is there no, "Disapointed, but not outraged"?
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.