Jump to topic:

The DDO of the future

JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 7:33:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I would love to see a DDO that actually abides by the TOS, and doesn't tolerate personal attacks, and other crude behavior. It's not really all that unrealistic, there are forums all across the internet full of respectful discussion, but strangely a website that should encourage logical arguments instead of ad hominem is strangely accommodating of such.

I honestly think there is a wide audience that would be more attracted to DDO if the community were more mature. I don't know, but maybe Juggle and the Presidency will, someday, move toward this version of DDO.

flame-suit on
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 7:39:48 PM
At 9/24/2012 7:33:46 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
I would love to see a DDO that actually abides by the TOS, and doesn't tolerate personal attacks, and other crude behavior. It's not really all that unrealistic, there are forums all across the internet full of respectful discussion, but strangely a website that should encourage logical arguments instead of ad hominem is strangely accommodating of such.

I honestly think there is a wide audience that would be more attracted to DDO if the community were more mature. I don't know, but maybe Juggle and the Presidency will, someday, move toward this version of DDO.

flame-suit on

I actually agree. Ironically this is one of the worst sites I have come across as far as flaming and other bad behaviour goes.
jacob.stewart129142
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 7:42:44 PM
At 9/24/2012 7:39:48 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I actually agree. Ironically those who tend to agree that flaming is evil are generally idiots who make a copious amount of annoying and stupid statements and are then astounded when they receive anonymous backlash. They are probably the same people who most people think are batshit crazy but generally don't hear a word of it IRL because people prefer to avoid face to face conflict.
: At 9/24/2012 9:36:56 PM, imabench wrote:

:Little noobs get banned all the time for trying to act like big shots and for blatantly insulting people who contribute to the site all the time.... you even reported one of the highest ranking people on here....

Internet Police
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 7:44:24 PM

flame-suit on

I actually agree. Ironically this is one of the worst sites I have come across as far as flaming and other bad behaviour goes.

Yup, and I'm guilty of a lot of it too. :(
jacob.stewart129142
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 7:47:47 PM
At 9/24/2012 7:44:24 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
I actually agree. Ironically, those who tend to agree that flaming is evil are generally idiots who make a copious amount of annoying and stupid statements and are then astounded when they receive anonymous backlash. They are probably the same people who most people think are batshit crazy but generally don't hear a word about how stupid they are to their faces because people prefer to avoid face to face conflict.

Probably

:Little noobs get banned all the time for trying to act like big shots and for blatantly insulting people who contribute to the site all the time.... you even reported one of the highest ranking people on here....

Internet Police
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 7:48:03 PM
I personally prefer to see DDO as a niche site. I think of DDO as more of a tight knit community, which leads to better intellectual discourse than when, with a heaping helping of people.

Though I'm a hella strong individualist, when it comes to DDO, I want to focus more on building a stronger and nicer community. That was my platform for President last election, and that will be the one for me for this election.

Yeah, that was the most awkward announcement of my campaign ever.

But on the whole, I agree we should work to make an all-in-all friendlier DDO.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
jacob.stewart129142
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 7:49:38 PM
At 9/24/2012 7:48:03 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Everyone should be polite and nice to each other at all times. This will make the site more entertaining...somehow

Internet Police
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 7:50:30 PM
At 9/24/2012 7:47:47 PM, jacob.stewart129142 wrote:
At 9/24/2012 7:44:24 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
I actually agree. Ironically, those who tend to agree that flaming is evil are generally idiots who make a copious amount of annoying and stupid statements and are then astounded when they receive anonymous backlash. They are probably the same people who most people think are batshit crazy but generally don't hear a word about how stupid they are to their faces because people prefer to avoid face to face conflict.

Probably

I tend to assimilate into a community and act like a lot of people act. I also tend to respond to people in kind. If someone responds to one of my posts calling me an idiot, there is a very good chance our conversation will descend into total flame-war
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 7:51:01 PM
At 9/24/2012 7:49:38 PM, jacob.stewart129142 wrote:
At 9/24/2012 7:48:03 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Everyone should be polite and nice to each other at all times. This will make the site more entertaining...somehow

No. I don't care about argumentation, at all. What I DO care about is flame war sh1t. Like the whole Ike v. JimTimmy fiasco. Not sure if you know it.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 7:51:49 PM
At 9/24/2012 7:42:44 PM, jacob.stewart129142 wrote:
I actually agree. Ironically those who tend to agree that flaming is evil are generally idiots who make a copious amount of annoying and stupid statements and are then astounded when they receive anonymous backlash. They are probably the same people who most people think are batshit crazy but generally don't hear a word of it IRL because people prefer to avoid face to face conflict.

Uh...no. I have seen many people get flamed online and thy didn't say anything stupid. Besides, who cares? It's not an excuse to be a complete a$s.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 7:52:23 PM
At 9/24/2012 7:42:44 PM, jacob.stewart129142 wrote:

Back already?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 7:53:06 PM
I would love to see a DDO that actually abides by the TOS

Id be f*cked.....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 7:59:42 PM
I agree with the OP. The temp bannings of The Fool and Mouthwash seems to be setting a precedent that multi-accounting and harassment finally won't be tolerated. I've been a part of a few other forums before, and this is the least regulated one I have ever seen. On other forums, bypassing the sweat filter even a single time will get you a warning from a mod within 15 minutes. Do so multiple times and you're banned. The result: people don't cuss or insult each other. DDO seems to be finally heading toward that direction as long as this level of moderation remains.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 8:04:14 PM
At 9/24/2012 7:59:42 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I agree with the OP. The temp bannings of The Fool and Mouthwash seems to be setting a precedent that multi-accounting and harassment finally won't be tolerated. I've been a part of a few other forums before, and this is the least regulated one I have ever seen. On other forums, bypassing the sweat filter even a single time will get you a warning from a mod within 15 minutes. Do so multiple times and you're banned. The result: people don't cuss or insult each other. DDO seems to be finally heading toward that direction as long as this level of moderation remains.

I have been in forums where even one word responses constituted spam and were removed.
jacob.stewart129142
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 8:07:06 PM
At 9/24/2012 7:51:49 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I tend to say stupid things and am surprised when my perception of what is stupid differs from societal perception of what is stupid. With that aside I think people should be able to say completely stupid things with impunity on a debate site.

Internet Police
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 8:09:34 PM
At 9/24/2012 8:07:06 PM, jacob.stewart129142 wrote:

I tend to say stupid things and am surprised when my perception of what is stupid differs from societal perception of what is stupid. With that aside I think people should be able to say completely stupid things with impunity on a debate site.

And on most forums, violating a suspension would result in a permanent or near-permanent banning.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 8:11:41 PM
I have seen this on mafiascum. Stuff that we routinely ignore are bannable offenses. Swearing, etc. Some members here would be banned very quickly.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 8:12:55 PM
At 9/24/2012 8:11:41 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I have seen this on mafiascum. Stuff that we routinely ignore are bannable offenses. Swearing, etc. Some members here would be banned very quickly.

But, some people would change their behavior.

Believe me, I don't act on other forums like I do sometimes on DDO... :)
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 8:16:00 PM
At 9/24/2012 8:09:34 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

And on most forums, violating a suspension would result in a permanent or near-permanent banning.

He's just an bored teenager with nothing else to do since he dropped out of highschool.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 8:16:45 PM
At 9/24/2012 8:16:00 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

He's just an bored teenager with nothing else to do since he dropped out of highschool.

This is a good post.
jacob.stewart129142
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 8:29:53 PM
At 9/24/2012 8:16:00 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

you're on welfare and claiming you are disabled because you're an idiot. I have a bachelors degree with a job.

Internet Police
SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 8:31:36 PM

flame-suit on

Rest assured that reevaluating our TOS and formulating a more effective way of enforcing them is high on our to-do list. We will soon be starting a forum thread asking for feedback on this process and how to improve moderation (without it seeming like we are "censoring" you, as we have seen on another forum thread).

For the time being, please keep a personal running list of specific problems you want to see addressed in the TOS and ideas you have on how to enforce them (with specific examples). Watch for the upcoming forum thread, where we will ask you to present your constructive feedback and criticism there. Polls will follow.

Thank you all for your continued dedication to making this the best site on the web for intelligent minds to educate one another through debate.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 8:33:32 PM
At 9/24/2012 8:31:36 PM, SObszanski wrote:
Rest assured that reevaluating our TOS and formulating a more effective way of enforcing them is high on our to-do list. We will soon be starting a forum thread asking for feedback on this process and how to improve moderation (without it seeming like we are "censoring" you, as we have seen on another forum thread).

WOO HOO!!!

Go Juggle!

For the time being, please keep a personal running list of specific problems you want to see addressed in the TOS and ideas you have on how to enforce them (with specific examples). Watch for the upcoming forum thread, where we will ask you to present your constructive feedback and criticism there. Polls will follow.

Thank you all for your continued dedication to making this the best site on the web for intelligent minds to educate one another through debate.

I'm loving the current attention being paid to DDO. Thanks!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 8:35:05 PM
At 9/24/2012 8:29:53 PM, jacob.stewart129142 wrote:

you're on welfare and claiming you are disabled because you're an idiot. I have a bachelors degree with a job.

I actually am disabled, retard.
jacob.stewart129142
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 8:40:51 PM
At 9/24/2012 8:35:05 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/24/2012 8:29:53 PM, jacob.stewart129142 wrote:

I actually am disabled, retard.

At 2/22/2011 12:45:18 AM, juvanya wrote:
Cake and I tried to get you to count coins and you didnt even try!

Internet Police
jacob.stewart129142
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 8:48:10 PM
Mentally disabled from doing any work whatsoever

Can somehow do debates online

Hmm I think we should call the Canadian Welfare Agency with some debate examples which might counter the mysterious disability that prevents you from assembling burgers.

Internet Police
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 8:52:26 PM
At 9/24/2012 8:48:10 PM, jacob.stewart129142 wrote:
Mentally disabled from doing any work whatsoever

Can somehow do debates online

Hmm I think we should call the Canadian Welfare Agency with some debate examples which might counter the mysterious disability that prevents you from assembling burgers.

You must be new here and I guess someone didnt give you a proper introduction, but allow me to do so.

Being an obnoxious dick like you are right now will quickly get you in trouble for someone who hasnt been around on this site for not even 3 hours, so if you could stop acting like an 8 year old with a pinecone shoved up his a** it would be appreciated. Understand?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
jacob.stewart129142
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 8:53:36 PM
At 9/24/2012 8:50:38 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Well now that I see who you really are just pi ss off. You're just an internet bully.

I just find it funny that you use "teenager dropped out of highschool" as a comeback when you can't count, have been on welfare for years, claim you are disabled, and somehow have an apple laptop.

I mean seriously you would think a fcking government leech with a near retarded intellect would refrain from attempting to use "you are retarded and don't have a job" as a comeback.

Internet Police
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 8:55:56 PM
At 9/24/2012 8:53:36 PM, jacob.stewart129142 wrote:
At 9/24/2012 8:50:38 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Well now that I see who you really are just pi ss off. You're just an internet bully.

I just find it funny that you use "teenager dropped out of highschool" as a comeback when you can't count, have been on welfare for years, claim you are disabled, and somehow have an apple laptop.

I mean seriously you would think a fcking government leech with a near retarded intellect would refrain from attempting to use "you are retarded and don't have a job" as a comeback.

I can so f*cking count. Also, aspegers is an disability.