OFFICIAL: Poll for Future Enhancements

SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 5:29:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Good afternoon, DDO'ers!

In an effort to better prioritize the list of updates we have planned for the Debate.org site, we have created a poll asking members to vote for the top three areas of enhancement that are most important to them. The options are:

1. Enhancements to "Opinions." These enhancements include features such as commenting as well as liking/voting/ratings, etc. We aim to understand exactly how the community wants the "Opinions" section to work for them and how we can better incorporate this feature into the overall functionality of the site.

2. Enhancements to "Debates." Examples include a redesign of the main "Debates" category page and subsequent "Debate" pages, increasing character count on debate rounds, and voting/comments, the ability to forfeit, and addressing any other pain points.

3. Enhancements to "Forums." These enhancements include features such as new categories, improved quoting mechanisms, the ability to edit posts, uploading photos and videos, receiving notifications when someone responds to your posts, increasing the number of posts per page, etc.

4. Terms of Service and Moderation. In an effort to keep the site both enjoyable and intellectually-stimulating, it is imperative that we, with the help of the community, reexamine our Terms of Service and the method we take to enforce those rules (i.e. moderation).

5. Homepage Redesign. This encompasses a redesign of the homepage to display the most important items based on user feedback.

6. Leaderboard, Scoring & Rankings. We understand that it is imperative to revisit our scoring criteria for Leaderboard rankings. Specific items up for consideration are an ELO ranking system for debates, how/whether to figure in participation (forums, voting), and how/whether to figure in "Opinion" responses. Another factor to consider is whether we want to have Daily, Weekly, Monthly & Yearly Leaderboards, as well as an All-Time Leaderboard.

7. Enhancements to "Big Issues." These enhancements would include a module for related "Opinions" topics (similar to the module for related debates), an increase in character count for commenting, the addition of more big issues, etc.

It will be beneficial for us to receive many responses as possible in order to best decide which issues we need to tackle first. There is so much room for growth on this site, but we have to determine exactly what YOU want done first.

Please cast your votes as soon as possible. You can vote for up to three areas of enhancement. Based on your responses, we will plan accordingly, and begin asking for feedback on individual action items.

The poll is located here: http://poll.fm...

Thanks!
Suzanne
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 5:33:16 PM
I vote for: Debates, Forums, and Leaderboards.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 5:33:45 PM
At 9/25/2012 5:33:16 PM, OberHerr wrote:

It's an offsite poll, Ober.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 5:34:35 PM
At 9/25/2012 5:33:16 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Yes, PLEASE vote off-site so that we can garner accurate numbers.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 5:37:54 PM
@SOB and DN.

I know. I just think that we should each post what we vote for to be sure it's accurate, and someone isn't using another computer to vote twice.

SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 5:44:58 PM
At 9/25/2012 5:37:54 PM, OberHerr wrote:
@SOB and DN.

I know. I just think that we should each post what we vote for to be sure it's accurate, and someone isn't using another computer to vote twice.

Very good point. We have, of course, blocked repeat voting to the best of Polldaddy's abilities. We will also share the results with all of you (and discuss their accuracy) before we take any action.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 5:45:02 PM
At 9/25/2012 5:37:54 PM, OberHerr wrote:
@SOB and DN.

I voted anonymously.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 8:39:41 PM
Only have debates count into the leader board not forum posts or anything else and please don't make another forum category.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 8:46:09 PM
At 9/25/2012 8:39:41 PM, phantom wrote:
Only have debates count into the leader board not forum posts or anything else and please don't make another forum category.

Very much so. The leader board should be limited to debating ONLY, because one really cannot quantify forum posts as an indicator of a person's overall skill as a debater. Also, I STRONGLY feel like there should be forums (like the Funny forum) that should be removed entirely, and other forums (like tech and science and arts and entertainment) that should be merged.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 8:47:03 PM
At 9/25/2012 8:46:09 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

Very much so. The leader board should be limited to debating ONLY, because one really cannot quantify forum posts as an indicator of a person's overall skill as a debater. Also, I STRONGLY feel like there should be forums (like the Funny forum) that should be removed entirely, and other forums (like tech and science and arts and entertainment) that should be merged.

Not entertainment. It has enough steady traffic for it to be it's own forum.

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 8:48:40 PM
Debates
Group debates are needed.

Forums
Ability to embed pictures would be highly appreciated.

Rankings
Integrating the ELO system is absolutely necessary.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 8:52:12 PM
At 9/25/2012 8:48:40 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Debates
Group debates are needed.

Forums
Ability to embed pictures would be highly appreciated.

Rankings
Integrating the ELO system is absolutely necessary.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 8:55:16 PM

Yeah, in all honesty forum posts counting in would just screw up the system even more. One reason being most of the people with the highest post-count have that many because they play mafia.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 9:00:36 PM
At 9/25/2012 8:47:03 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Not entertainment. It has enough steady traffic for it to be it's own forum.

Barely. Also, Art seems to be just sitting there on it's lonesome... and how can one differentiate between art and entertainment anyway?
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 9:01:09 PM
At 9/25/2012 8:55:16 PM, phantom wrote:

Yeah, in all honesty forum posts counting in would just screw up the system even more. One reason being most of the people with the highest post-count have that many because they play mafia.

As a person who's post count is inflated by mafia, I agree.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 9:24:22 PM
It is possible to inflate the vote counts in Polldaddy. I would just have people post in here.

Forums, TOS, and Debates.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 9:29:37 PM
At 9/25/2012 9:24:22 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
It is possible to inflate the vote counts in Polldaddy. I would just have people post in here.

We are definitely keeping an eye on both, and comparing the two.

Here are the results so far, which are pretty in-line with the sentiments we are seeing here:

1. Forums (17)
2. Debates (16)
3. Leaderboard, Scoring & Rankings (13)
4. TOS & Moderation (9)
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 9:29:58 PM
This thread makes me .^_^.

I want to take this opportunity to point out that there are no advertisements or solicitations on this website. I would also like to indicate that this website is entirely comprised of user input (as opposed to user participation through some sort of facilitatory apparatus, like youtube). Therefore, the only incentive I can see for the amount of attention Juggle is paying to the site is the quality they perceive in its members.

I am duly sincerely flattered, and all of these offers are quite attractive. Nonetheless, I voted on my top three, which ostensibly are everyone else's options, based on the thread.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 9:31:15 PM
At 9/25/2012 9:29:37 PM, SObszanski wrote:
At 9/25/2012 9:24:22 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

We are definitely keeping an eye on both, and comparing the two.

Here are the results so far, which are pretty in-line with the sentiments we are seeing here:

1. Forums (17)
2. Debates (16)
3. Leaderboard, Scoring & Rankings (13)
4. TOS & Moderation (9)

However, this is no bueno, imo.

You people need to stop. There are no moderation problems here.
SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 9:42:06 PM
At 9/25/2012 9:29:58 PM, Ren wrote:

I want to take this opportunity to point out that there are no advertisements or solicitations on this website. I would also like to indicate that this website is entirely comprised of user input (as opposed to user participation through some sort of facilitatory apparatus, like youtube). Therefore, the only incentive I can see for the amount of attention Juggle is paying to the site is the quality they perceive in its members.

I am duly sincerely flattered, and all of these offers are quite attractive. Nonetheless, I voted on my top three, which ostensibly are everyone else's options, based on the thread.

It makes us .^_^. to see you .^_^.
It is undeniable that we have the most intelligent, most dedicated online debate community out there. The right combination of DDO member involvement and Juggle's powers-that-be will certainly yield unprecedented results in terms of site quality (and total world domination, of course).

The best is yet to come!
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 9:45:13 PM
At 9/25/2012 9:42:06 PM, SObszanski wrote:

It is undeniable that we have the most intelligent, most dedicated online debate community out there. The right combination of DDO member involvement and Juggle's powers-that-be will certainly yield unprecedented results in terms of site quality (and total world domination, of course).

the secret's out! Call the press!

The best is yet to come!
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 9:46:16 PM
At 9/25/2012 9:45:13 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

OBER QUICK, DRAG HIM AWAY!!!!

The best is yet to come!
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 9:48:53 PM
At 9/25/2012 9:46:16 PM, imabench wrote:

*sends an anonymous email to all the major news*

The best is yet to come!
SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 9:51:42 PM
At 9/25/2012 9:48:53 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 9/25/2012 9:46:16 PM, imabench wrote:

: : : the secret's out! Call the press!

The best is yet to come!

Hahaha :)
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 9:55:07 PM

: : : the secret's out! Call the press!

The best is yet to come!

Hahaha :)

^.^ :D
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 10:08:31 PM
*drags THEBOMB away*

ALL DDO ELITE WE ARE AT DEFCON 1!

CODE INDIGO, REPEAT CODE INDIGO!

*drags everyone in thread not DDO Elite away*

Ine of the fools at Juggle blew our cover! REPEAT CODE INDIGO!

(cause, Code Red, Black, and Blue are totally overrated)

THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 10:09:46 PM
At 9/25/2012 10:08:31 PM, OberHerr wrote:
*drags THEBOMB away*

The damage is already done. The DDO elite are being dismantled as we speak. *gunshots heard in the thread*
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 10:10:45 PM

The best is yet to come!

I'm curious if you can answer in how Juggle does plan to profit from DDO, in a vague sense perhaps? Is it a long term plan, or what? Cause, I mean its nice and all we're a great community....but this is a capitilistic society.....I totally get if you cant answer that though.

Still regardless, it's awesome you guys are back.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 10:12:07 PM
At 9/25/2012 10:09:46 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 9/25/2012 10:08:31 PM, OberHerr wrote:
*drags THEBOMB away*

The damage is already done. The DDO elite are being dismantled as we speak. *gunshots heard in the thread*

*drags THEBOMB away*

Exactly what we have planned it to appear as. Why do you think we keep expendable crewmen around? *points to inferno, Airmax, and Roylatham*