OFFICIAL: Updating Forum Categories

SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 10:26:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hello, DDO!

According to our recent poll on future enhancements (http://www.debate.org...), the forums section of the site is one of the main areas where you would like to see improvement.

To start this process, we would like to garner your feedback on the forum categories.

Are there any new categories you would like to see added to the forums? Are there existing categories you want removed, or merged? Is there a new category structure that might work better altogether?

One new category to consider is "Products" or "Product Reviews," where members can discuss things such as the new iPhone or can debate about the worst product flops of all time (i.e. the "new Coke").

Some members have also suggested doing away with the "Funny" category, and merging the "Arts" and "Entertainment" categories as well as "Science" and "Technology."

Any ideas you have regarding forum categorization are greatly appreciated. Also, be sure to give us your thoughts on a new forum quoting structure here: http://www.debate.org...

Thanks!
Suzanne
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 10:28:33 AM
At 9/27/2012 10:26:17 AM, SObszanski wrote:
Hello, DDO!

According to our recent poll on future enhancements (http://www.debate.org...), the forums section of the site is one of the main areas where you would like to see improvement.

To start this process, we would like to garner your feedback on the forum categories.

Are there any new categories you would like to see added to the forums? Are there existing categories you want removed, or merged? Is there a new category structure that might work better altogether?

One new category to consider is "Products" or "Product Reviews," where members can discuss things such as the new iPhone or can debate about the worst product flops of all time (i.e. the "new Coke").

Some members have also suggested doing away with the "Funny" category, and merging the "Arts" and "Entertainment" categories as well as "Science" and "Technology."

Any ideas you have regarding forum categorization are greatly appreciated. Also, be sure to give us your thoughts on a new forum quoting structure here: http://www.debate.org...

Thanks!
Suzanne

Definitely kill the Funny.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 10:35:48 AM
Remove "Funny." It sounds unprofessional and is unnecessary. We already have Games and Miscellaneous being suitable for any non-serious threads. Merge "Arts and Entertainment" and "Science and Technology." These forums are not used very much, and merging them would probably give more interest to people. (Who clicks on Arts?)

The "Games" category should be a sub-forum within Miscellaneous. I don't see the necessity of having such a forum on a debate site. Moreover, remove all friend feeds from your dashboard that stem from posts made in "Games." It's a complete waste of space.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 10:55:53 AM
At 9/27/2012 10:26:17 AM, SObszanski wrote:
Hello, DDO!

Thanks!
Suzanne

Get rid of funny, miscellaneous, and personal and combine them into one category called "Open Discussion."

Science and Technology can be combined as well.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 11:19:52 AM
Essentially, what everyone else has said. The product idea would and does just go into technology section, the most unpopular on the site.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 1:03:52 PM
I agree with what Mirza said except for making the Games forum a subforum. Its the most active forum on the site, so demoting it (which is basically what it is) seems unnecessary.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 1:05:35 PM
Remove everything except the Games and Philosophy forums. Everything else is net negative.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 1:09:24 PM
I agree with Miraz except I want to keep funny
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 1:10:30 PM
At 9/27/2012 10:35:48 AM, Mirza wrote:
Remove "Funny." It sounds unprofessional and is unnecessary. We already have Games and Miscellaneous being suitable for any non-serious threads. Merge "Arts and Entertainment" and "Science and Technology." These forums are not used very much, and merging them would probably give more interest to people. (Who clicks on Arts?)

The "Games" category should be a sub-forum within Miscellaneous. I don't see the necessity of having such a forum on a debate site. Moreover, remove all friend feeds from your dashboard that stem from posts made in "Games." It's a complete waste of space.

You've never played mafia have you.
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 1:14:09 PM
http://www.debate.org...

^ Could be useful in finding which forums to delete
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 1:16:19 PM
At 9/27/2012 1:05:35 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Remove everything except the Games and Philosophy forums. Everything else is net negative.

I would no doubt leave then because philosophy is boooooooring. :P
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 1:27:16 PM
At 9/27/2012 1:16:19 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Oh come now it's the best. Have you ever read Kierkegaard, unbelievable. I get that some of the more academic aspects of philosophy like free will or analysis of language are kind of boring but on the whole it's extremely interesting.
:
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 3:41:22 PM
At 9/27/2012 1:27:16 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/27/2012 1:16:19 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Oh come now it's the best. Have you ever read Kierkegaard, unbelievable. I get that some of the more academic aspects of philosophy like free will or analysis of language are kind of boring but on the whole it's extremely interesting.

If you wanna jump someone into philosophy, Kierkegaard is a bit like saying "I'll teach you how to fly fish with Jaws."
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 3:45:35 PM
On a more serious note, if you are dead set on a "product reviews" bit it could be merged with technology. If you don't have a product reviews section, technology and science should be merged.

What do people think about merging News with Politics? They tend to cover the same things.

Finally, for space, consider merging Arts with Entertainment. Or, if you want product reviews, perhaps merge it with the Entertainment section.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 4:23:18 PM

Lol?

Every time I come to this site, I check the Science forum. That, imo, is one the site's most epic categories.

Removing a Politics forum from a debating website sounds silly.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 4:24:24 PM
At 9/27/2012 3:45:35 PM, Wnope wrote:
On a more serious note, if you are dead set on a "product reviews" bit it could be merged with technology. If you don't have a product reviews section, technology and science should be merged.

What do people think about merging News with Politics? They tend to cover the same things.

Finally, for space, consider merging Arts with Entertainment. Or, if you want product reviews, perhaps merge it with the Entertainment section.

Arts and Entertainment definitely belong together, as do News and Politics.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 4:25:07 PM
At 9/27/2012 4:24:24 PM, Ren wrote:
At 9/27/2012 3:45:35 PM, Wnope wrote:

Arts and Entertainment definitely belong together, as do News and Politics.

Actually, no... I think News and Politics should stay distinct forums. Not every interesting headline is political, and Politics is a pretty strong forum by itself.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 4:35:40 PM
Please don't add any new forum topics, just merge funny & miscellaneous....then technology & science....then art & entertainment....then history & politics.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 4:37:45 PM
At 9/27/2012 4:35:40 PM, 000ike wrote:
Please don't add any new forum topics, just merge funny & miscellaneous....then technology & science....then art & entertainment....then history & politics.

Agree with everything but that last part
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 4:38:44 PM
At 9/27/2012 4:23:18 PM, Ren wrote:

Lol?

Every time I come to this site, I check the Science forum. That, imo, is one the site's most epic categories.

I rarely look into it but if it really is that epic I could check it out.

Well they should only remove it if they want productive dialogue. The only thing you find in the politics section is Imabench trolling Geo. Or is it the other way around? I can't even tell anymore.
:
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 4:40:46 PM
At 9/27/2012 4:38:44 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/27/2012 4:23:18 PM, Ren wrote:

Lol?

I rarely look into it but if it really is that epic I could check it out.

Well they should only remove it if they want productive dialogue. The only thing you find in the politics section is Imabench trolling Geo. Or is it the other way around? I can't even tell anymore.

SOMEONE NOTICED :D

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 4:47:39 PM
Merge art and entertainment, science and technology, and misc and funny.

Also, just to be clear, this merging will not delete anything right? All they threads will still exist, but just in the combined forums?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 4:50:42 PM
At 9/27/2012 10:35:48 AM, Mirza wrote:
Remove "Funny." It sounds unprofessional and is unnecessary.

And, we're professional? :P

We already have Games and Miscellaneous being suitable for any non-serious threads.

I wil have you know, Games is almost completely serious. Lot more serious than half the satire threads on religion or politics.

Merge "Arts and Entertainment" and "Science and Technology." These forums are not used very much, and merging them would probably give more interest to people. (Who clicks on Arts?)

Agreed.

Yeah...you can just ignore Mirza in this thread. He speaks for no one in DDO.

And, how about have an option to turn off notifications coming from certain areas?

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 6:45:19 PM
At 9/27/2012 4:47:39 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Merge art and entertainment, science and technology, and misc and funny.

This. There's nothing really separating art and entertainment, or science and tech. Funny really wasn't wanted, and should be banished.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 7:05:33 PM
I have a crazy idea, could we just go ahead and get rid of the religious forum? Im pretty sure if we do that then we would have world peace

SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 7:29:53 PM
At 9/27/2012 1:14:09 PM, imabench wrote:

^ Could be useful in finding which forums to delete

This is GREAT! Thank you!

At 9/27/2012 4:47:39 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Also, just to be clear, this merging will not delete anything right? All they threads will still exist, but just in the combined forums?

Exactly. Everything would just be merged together. Even if we decided to delete a category completely, we would attempt to move its existing threads to other appropriate categories.

Thanks for your feedback, guys! There's a lot of consistency in the responses here, which is great. And all of your suggestions make perfect sense. We'll keep you updated!

Thanks!
Suzanne
Viper-King
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 7:33:43 PM
Remove the Funny forum, merge the Arts and Entertainment forums as "Art & Entertainment" forum and Science and Technology forums as "Science & Technology". Merge News and Politics as "News & Politics".
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 7:34:52 PM
At 9/27/2012 7:05:33 PM, imabench wrote:
I have a crazy idea, could we just go ahead and get rid of the religious forum? Im pretty sure if we do that then we would have world peace

NOOO! I like it there xD it makes for interesting conversation! :D
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 7:35:30 PM
At 9/27/2012 7:33:43 PM, Viper-King wrote:
Remove the Funny forum, merge the Arts and Entertainment forums as "Art & Entertainment" forum and Science and Technology forums as "Science & Technology". Merge News and Politics as "News & Politics".

Why not just merge Funny and Misc? I mean, their basically the same.

And, for news....I would call it perhaps current events. Something politics and new...but I don't think we should have "Blank & Blank" forums.