Jump to topic:

To those that say the site quality going down

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 7:56:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
How? What's going down? Why do you think? Why haven't you done anhnig about it?

I'm a little bummed I admit because there has been a lull in forums activity, but it's just a a lull.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 8:00:57 PM
At 10/2/2012 7:58:50 PM, Mystical wrote:
Why? What did previous versions of the site appear as?

Not much different, just some changes aesthetically.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Mystical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 8:02:49 PM
At 10/2/2012 8:00:57 PM, OberHerr wrote:

If it was simply appearance changes, then what's the issue with quality decreasing?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 8:31:32 PM
At 10/2/2012 8:02:49 PM, Mystical wrote:

If it was simply appearance changes, then what's the issue with quality decreasing?

These "the site is going down" complaints are just the product of boredom and nostalgia. In the year and 2 months I've been here, the quality has been fairly constant. Sure, there would be huge flamewars or rivalries pocketed here and there, but as swiftly as they started, they left and the site returned back to normal...and more often than not those flamewars bred decent debates and forum discussions (if you managed to look past the insults). If anything, given the new attention, feedback, and moderation implemented by the administrators, the site has gone up in quality.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 9:51:03 PM
At 10/2/2012 7:56:54 PM, OberHerr wrote:

I'm a little bummed I admit because there has been a lull in forums activity, but it's just a a lull.

The amount of honest and open discussion has gone down. There is far more "attack" posts where members are less interested in understanding and learning alternative views and are far more interested bashing and belittling those views.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 10:04:38 PM
At 10/2/2012 9:51:03 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
There is far more "attack" posts where members are less interested in understanding and learning alternative views and are far more interested bashing and belittling those views.

YOU KNOW NOTHING YOU WHITE CRACKER!!!
kfc
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 10:35:36 PM
At 10/2/2012 10:04:38 PM, Koopin wrote:
There is far more "attack" posts where members are less interested in understanding and learning alternative views and are far more interested bashing and belittling those views.

YOU KNOW NOTHING YOU WHITE CRACKER!!!

Know what goes great on crackers? Chicken.
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 11:00:17 PM
At 10/2/2012 8:31:32 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 10/2/2012 8:02:49 PM, Mystical wrote:

These "the site is going down" complaints are just the product of boredom and nostalgia. In the year and 2 months I've been here, the quality has been fairly constant. Sure, there would be huge flamewars or rivalries pocketed here and there, but as swiftly as they started, they left and the site returned back to normal...and more often than not those flamewars bred decent debates and forum discussions (if you managed to look past the insults). If anything, given the new attention, feedback, and moderation implemented by the administrators, the site has gone up in quality.

While even that (annoying) generalization might be true, I find comments that are qualified and more descriptive in regards to what is going on more valuable than the typical fare that you endure, Ike, and which you seem to conflate with the general "The site is going down" comment (lol).
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2012 2:42:06 AM
One explanation that I tend to favour is that while the site itself retains a pretty much constant quality, long time members find themselves above that quality, as opposed to when they were learning quite a lot (and quite quickly) when they first joined the site. So, relative to the experienced members, the site quality is going 'down' in that everybody appears foolish to them... but that's not saying anything about the site as a whole.

I would note though that the vitriol, while not outright swearing quite so much, has a certain aggression to it. Some members have very ingrained views, yet care to spread their views and spout them in an offensive manner perhaps more than in the past.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2012 2:48:43 AM
At 10/2/2012 7:56:54 PM, OberHerr wrote:

The amount of honest and open discussion has gone down. There is far more "attack" posts where members are less interested in understanding and learning alternative views and are far more interested bashing and belittling those views.

The amount of aggressive posts has been pretty constant from the time I've been here. It died down some after the Ancap Exodus, but didn't take long before some new people joined and it picked back up.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2012 2:52:52 AM
I don't think the site quality is going down. Rather, I just miss the members who were active when I first joined the site which leads to a percieved decrease to me in the quality of membership although it is just my personal view. For example, I might think "when I joined, members like Double_R, Lickdafoot, TUF, Innomen, Ore_Ele, TV and bluesteel were active. They aren't here anymore. Therefore the quality of discussion is going down" etc. But the fact is that it just comes down to who you personally got to know well and respect.

As far as the objective quality of the site, it has certainly gone up. Juggle is paying a lot of attention to it and adding many new features. So, it has definitely become better as opposed to worse.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2012 12:12:13 PM
At 10/3/2012 2:52:52 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I don't think the site quality is going down. Rather, I just miss the members who were active when I first joined the site which leads to a percieved decrease to me in the quality of membership although it is just my personal view. For example, I might think "when I joined, members like Double_R, Lickdafoot, TUF, Innomen, Ore_Ele, TV and bluesteel were active. They aren't here anymore. Therefore the quality of discussion is going down" etc. But the fact is that it just comes down to who you personally got to know well and respect.

As far as the objective quality of the site, it has certainly gone up. Juggle is paying a lot of attention to it and adding many new features. So, it has definitely become better as opposed to worse.

I think Roy said it best. The site has become more about social networking then debate.

I like the social networking side of things, but it's those who are -really- good at debates that have the best stuff to add to the forums. It's unfortunate that some of the stronger personalities have left, although not surprising.
Tsar of DDO