Jump to topic:

What do you think of this?

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 10:35:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
"Logic and reason are nothing without perspective and experience. We are all chained to our point of view and lack the ability to be truly objective. As such, our applications of logic and reasoning are going to mirror our individual points of view. Without experience or perspective, you can't be expected to employ your faculties with any aptitude or accuracy."
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 11:15:31 AM
At 10/7/2012 10:35:18 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
"Logic and reason are nothing without perspective and experience. We are all chained to our point of view and lack the ability to be truly objective. As such, our applications of logic and reasoning are going to mirror our individual points of view. Without experience or perspective, you can't be expected to employ your faculties with any aptitude or accuracy."

Sounds about right, but only up to a certain degree. People arent completely enslaved to their own point of view so occasionally people can be objective despite their viewpoints, albeit probably at a very low rate.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 11:27:48 AM

sounds vague and a bit uncoordinated. Is the speaker's point that logic has no meaning unless we can experience where it applies? Or that our reasoning is bias toward pre-existing opinions?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 11:29:42 AM
Smells like confirmation bias.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 12:58:39 PM
Logic is not subjective, so individual applications of it can only vary in its objective validity, not in its actual application.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 1:55:03 PM

Sounds good but you have "results" of the past to help gauge whether or not your logic and reason are viable.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 9:39:45 AM

No, that's BS. I know from personal experience.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 10:57:39 AM

It's kind of ridiculous, I mean, what's our aim in this person's account? If we're all chained to our experiences, we'd just be preaching whatever experience we happen to come across. It's not even like he's really privileging certain modes of knowledge (experience, perspective) because he comes right back and says we become victims to them. It's really just skepticism, that's all.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 10:33:09 PM
At 10/8/2012 9:39:45 AM, MouthWash wrote:

No, that's BS. I know from personal experience.

lulz xD I think your personal experience is BS based on my personal experience.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 10:42:37 PM
At 10/8/2012 10:57:39 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

It's kind of ridiculous, I mean, what's our aim in this person's account? If we're all chained to our experiences, we'd just be preaching whatever experience we happen to come across. It's not even like he's really privileging certain modes of knowledge (experience, perspective) because he comes right back and says we become victims to them. It's really just skepticism, that's all.

I agree. This guy, along with four to five others will always follow a well-structured argument I post with claims like this. Instead of addressing my argument they criticize me for not thinking through different perspectives. One example was a thread exclusively dealing with the necessity of government in infrastructure, which is not true whatsoever. They talked about roads (of course), public transportation, and long-distance trains. One lady said that several companies could not have built a railroad from NYC to Washington DC. My first post on the thread was detailing the superiority of James J. Hill's railroad to government-run railroads at the same time, the reasons why it was superior, and various mechanisms in private v. public construction, etc. My five paragraph case was not refuted, yet I and my psyche were scrutinized closely for psychological models fitting my delivery to reasons why argument and evidence are insufficient (a paradox, I suppose). I somewhat agreed with this guy on the grounds of perspective. Sometimes a new perspective makes all of the reason and evidence fall into place, but that reason adn evidence is based upon new, better reason and evidence (e.g. heliocentric model doing away with needlessly intricate patterns in the geocentric model).