OFFICIAL: Feedback on TOS and Moderation

SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 3:05:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hello again, DDO!

During our recent efforts to better elicit member feedback, it has been brought to our attention that the site"s Terms of Service and moderation practices need to be reexamined.

Some questions to consider:

As the main users of this website, how do you want the Terms of Service and moderation to function? What should members legally be protected from while using the website? Foul language? Personal attacks? Spamming and trolling? What would you remove from the current Terms of Service to make it better? What would you add?

Finally, what are the best methods for enforcing these rules? Do we need more moderation, or less? What should the requirements be for moderators? How should these people be chosen?

Clearly, Debate.org"s Terms of Service and moderation practices play a vital role in ensuring that users have a positive experience on the site. Meanwhile, however, we want to maintain the website"s characteristically enlightening and engaging dialogue.

Any feedback you have on how to improve these areas is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Suzanne
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 3:09:48 PM
Hey, I actually did a poll on DDO moderation:

https://debate.org...

It seems as If the community likes the current moderation system. Of course there are members that find it too strict or too lenient, but its a Gaussian distribution (meaning that those on the far end of the spectrum are less common then those that believe the site is just right).
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 3:12:32 PM
The current level of moderation is perfect. I would love to see it set in stone in the ToS by explaining that the members will elect their own head moderator every 6 months (The "President"). I also think it would be great to integrate an official and secure system for electing the president rather than holding it in a thread.

I think that the references banning foul language should be removed. Mostly because it's useless. Most active members know how to get around it. It isn't fair to the members who don't know how. And it's nothing worth any action taken against it.

Lastly, there has been some large worry about references which say that anything members post become the intellectual property of the site owner. Many members here will go on to write books and other material that we may wish to copyright. We wish to have some sort of reassurance that nothing we write will be exploited because of this.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 3:55:25 PM
Make a TOS that you will uphold. Moderation has been a bit too lenient. I like the idea of trials done between a Juggle representative and the offending user.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 4:08:08 PM
At 10/9/2012 3:55:25 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Make a TOS that you will uphold.

Leave the TOS as it is, or reduce it.

Moderation has been a bit too lenient.

Moderation has been wonderful. If anything, a little too strict.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 4:53:37 PM
At 10/9/2012 3:05:27 PM, SObszanski wrote:
What would you remove from the current Terms of Service to make it better? What would you add?

Under Proprietary Rights there's this sentence:
All material you post on Debate.org, including debate arguments, comments, forums, profiles, pictures, and messages becomes the property of Debate.org, and you waive all claims of ownership for said property.

Now, I understand that this type of clause can be important for the Owner's of ddo if/when you would care to advertise, or in a whole bunch of ways...
and I don't have any problem whatsoever with DDO using or profiting from anything I, or others, contribute to the site.

However, I wouldn't wish to be sued by whomever comes to own ddo for some kind of Infringement if I Use my own words/arguments in the future.
I'm not sure if that'd even be possible from how the clause is phrased, and imagine such action implausible anyways... but it sort of worries me, and discourages me from posting.. And I know Others have told me they've thought about the same.

Now, I'd even be ok with Keeping the clause as it is.. So long as one's added to it that makes it clear that we too may freely use any material that we've contributed...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 5:16:45 PM
At 10/9/2012 4:41:17 PM, Koopin wrote:
Ban KFC.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 3:14:16 PM
Bump!

At 10/9/2012 4:53:37 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 10/9/2012 3:05:27 PM, SObszanski wrote:
What would you remove from the current Terms of Service to make it better? What would you add?

Under Proprietary Rights there's this sentence:
All material you post on Debate.org, including debate arguments, comments, forums, profiles, pictures, and messages becomes the property of Debate.org, and you waive all claims of ownership for said property.

Now, I understand that this type of clause can be important for the Owner's of ddo if/when you would care to advertise, or in a whole bunch of ways...
and I don't have any problem whatsoever with DDO using or profiting from anything I, or others, contribute to the site.

However, I wouldn't wish to be sued by whomever comes to own ddo for some kind of Infringement if I Use my own words/arguments in the future.
I'm not sure if that'd even be possible from how the clause is phrased, and imagine such action implausible anyways... but it sort of worries me, and discourages me from posting.. And I know Others have told me they've thought about the same.

Now, I'd even be ok with Keeping the clause as it is.. So long as one's added to it that makes it clear that we too may freely use any material that we've contributed...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 3:17:12 PM
Thank you all for your continued help!

We are compiling your feedback and will keep you updated as we begin to make changes.

For now, please continue sharing any ideas you have for improving our TOS and moderation!

Happy Wednesday!
Suzanne
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 12:29:29 AM
I like how moderation is going right now, but I feel that it's a bit overloaded onto one person right now. DDO is arguably growing, whether the growing is good growth or bad growth, and with more people comes more moderation necessary. Airmax has done a great job so far, although there's nothing really harsh that he's had to deal with so far, but so far he has my approval on how things have gone. But I think that placing everything on him isn't exactly fair. Maybe deciding on a core of moderation to allow other mods to be elected (they would answer to airmax, although would have access to moderation abilities). How they would be elected, I'm not sure yet. Maybe we could have bi-yearly elections for moderation like we do for president.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 1:46:01 AM
At 10/14/2012 12:29:29 AM, Zaradi wrote:
I like how moderation is going right now, but I feel that it's a bit overloaded onto one person right now. DDO is arguably growing, whether the growing is good growth or bad growth, and with more people comes more moderation necessary. Airmax has done a great job so far, although there's nothing really harsh that he's had to deal with so far, but so far he has my approval on how things have gone. But I think that placing everything on him isn't exactly fair. Maybe deciding on a core of moderation to allow other mods to be elected (they would answer to airmax, although would have access to moderation abilities). How they would be elected, I'm not sure yet. Maybe we could have bi-yearly elections for moderation like we do for president.

I really dont like Bi-yearly elections for mod powers, they would be the crown jewel for attention whores to try to pursue, and as a well known attention whore, I know that people would clamor for mod power just so that other people could respect their authoritah (thats the best Cartman impression I can do on the internet)

Look if anything, Mod power should be like serving on the US Supreme Court. Someone has mod power for their life on DDO, and if they want to leave DDO they can hand off Mod Power to somebody else. Thats what Innomen did with Airmax and it has worked out fantastically. We should only have a very few number of fairly active mods to handle anything that is really out of hand and against the TOS (like someone dropping 12 uncensored f-bombs in a single thread) like we do now. The only issue people have is how much the TOS should be abided too, some say more, others say less, some like it the way it is. Im pretty sure someone had a poll about this and DDO was right smack in the center claiming that moderation of the posts was just fine.

Verdict: Moderation is applied at an acceptable rate and mod powers should only be transferred from mods who wish to leave DDO to new mods who are responsible and active.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 8:21:11 PM
At 10/14/2012 1:46:01 AM, imabench wrote:
At 10/14/2012 12:29:29 AM, Zaradi wrote:

I really dont like Bi-yearly elections for mod powers, they would be the crown jewel for attention whores to try to pursue, and as a well known attention whore, I know that people would clamor for mod power just so that other people could respect their authoritah (thats the best Cartman impression I can do on the internet)

Look if anything, Mod power should be like serving on the US Supreme Court. Someone has mod power for their life on DDO, and if they want to leave DDO they can hand off Mod Power to somebody else. Thats what Innomen did with Airmax and it has worked out fantastically. We should only have a very few number of fairly active mods to handle anything that is really out of hand and against the TOS (like someone dropping 12 uncensored f-bombs in a single thread) like we do now. The only issue people have is how much the TOS should be abided too, some say more, others say less, some like it the way it is. Im pretty sure someone had a poll about this and DDO was right smack in the center claiming that moderation of the posts was just fine.

That's exactly how elections for president work right now and I say that the system works rather smoothly.

Verdict: Moderation is applied at an acceptable rate and mod powers should only be transferred from mods who wish to leave DDO to new mods who are responsible and active.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 8:42:28 PM
The Moderation is fine, except with regards to troll accounts. I don't think that it is particularly harmful for users to create troll accounts for one-time events as long as they close them afterwards. If anything, it makes the site more amusing.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 8:45:44 PM
Maybe more than one mod?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 4:24:07 PM
Lmfao. They must be confused.

This same juggle representative asked what we'd like to change the most. One of the most frequently recurring responses was "Changes to the TOS" and "Moderation." I shiit you not, go look at the thread yourself: http://www.debate.org...

Now that they're giving us the opportunity to say what changes specifically we want, we're all like, "the TOS is fine the way it is."

Lulz.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 4:26:29 PM
At 10/14/2012 8:45:44 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Maybe more than one mod?

we already have more than one
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015