OFFICIAL: Redesign of Individual "Debate" Pgs

SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 5:55:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Good afternoon, DDO!

In an effort to increase member adoption rate and user engagement, we would like to announce some exciting upcoming changes to the individual "Debate" pages on DDO (Example: http://debate.org...).

Visit this link (http://d.pr...) to view the initial wireframe showing how the individual "Debate" pages will be laid out. We have not included any design aspects (coloring, graphics). We want to gather user feedback on the general structure and streamlined layout of the pages before we proceed with other details.

Highlights of the updated structure include:
1. Enhanced top module that clearly displays the debate topic, the participants, and the status (who is winning, whether it is in the challenge, debating, voting, or post-voting period, and how much time is left in that period)
2. A "Share" module which allows you to share a debate on your favorite social network, add it to your DDO favorites, or report it to moderators
3. Enhanced module for viewing debate rounds, comments, and votes, with the option for side-by-side or stacked (one on top of another) view
4. Bottom module for debate statistics (date started, category, views, etc.)

All of the previous functionality of these pages will remain. In other words, NOTHING will be taken away; the same information will be displayed differently for ease of use.

The only feature we have NOT included in this wireframe is "Do You Like This Debate? No / Yes." (Example: http://d.pr...) What are your thoughts? Do you like the current rating system? Would a different one, such as a five-star system, work better? As I said, this is the ONLY feature that is not included in the current wireframe.
SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 5:57:37 PM
In addition to improving the overall layout of the Debate platform, we would also like to improve any pain points and bugs users have when engaging in a debate. We have been compiling all of your recent feedback, and would like your help in prioritizing these items. Please visit this forum post (http://debate.org...) to take our poll and provide any non-design-related feedback.

Thank you all in advance for your ideas!
Suzanne
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 6:17:23 PM
Is there any way to make it so that you can adjust the sizes of the different boxes? Kind of like how Yahoo Mail does it.
Overall, this looks pretty good. Just keep a blue-and-white colour scheme.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Viper-King
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 10:15:56 PM
I would definitely enjoy this new design of debates. However, I would hope that we can choose whether we like the debate or not in a 5 star rating system. I dislike the current rating system, in all honesty. I would definitely appreciate it though if it would be more clear about the time left in the period. Instead of the proposed one maybe we could have "6 Days, 23 Hours, 53 Minutes", capitalized or lower-case. This is a big change for Debate.org because it revolutionizes debates. However, will it be for debates starting now or will it be for all former debates too? :)
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 10:36:43 PM
Looks pretty good, although I see you have a button there for arranging top -> bottom, and one for columns (left of the "Votes" link at the top). I'd be interested to see how this alternative layout looks.

Also, if the debate was in the voting period, I'm guessing there's a separate "Vote Now" module.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 3:10:20 AM
At 10/9/2012 10:36:43 PM, larztheloser wrote:
Also, if the debate was in the voting period, I'm guessing there's a separate "Vote Now" module.

That's included in number 3.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 4:43:30 AM
Yes, but I think you shouldn't have to click somewhere to start voting on a debate, and click back if you wish to review the debate. Under the status quo, before the voting period, the vote now box appears immediately - which is great because it's a clear imperative right at the top to vote now.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 8:36:34 AM
At 10/9/2012 5:55:58 PM, SObszanski wrote:
Good afternoon, DDO!

In an effort to increase member adoption rate and user engagement, we would like to announce some exciting upcoming changes to the individual "Debate" pages on DDO (Example: http://debate.org...).

Visit this link (http://d.pr...) to view the initial wireframe showing how the individual "Debate" pages will be laid out. We have not included any design aspects (coloring, graphics). We want to gather user feedback on the general structure and streamlined layout of the pages before we proceed with other details.

Highlights of the updated structure include:
1. Enhanced top module that clearly displays the debate topic, the participants, and the status (who is winning, whether it is in the challenge, debating, voting, or post-voting period, and how much time is left in that period)
2. A "Share" module which allows you to share a debate on your favorite social network, add it to your DDO favorites, or report it to moderators
3. Enhanced module for viewing debate rounds, comments, and votes, with the option for side-by-side or stacked (one on top of another) view
4. Bottom module for debate statistics (date started, category, views, etc.)

All of the previous functionality of these pages will remain. In other words, NOTHING will be taken away; the same information will be displayed differently for ease of use.

The only feature we have NOT included in this wireframe is "Do You Like This Debate? No / Yes." (Example: http://d.pr...) What are your thoughts? Do you like the current rating system? Would a different one, such as a five-star system, work better? As I said, this is the ONLY feature that is not included in the current wireframe.

LOVE IT!
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 1:10:40 PM
I like that idea...
I've got an idea to go with that how about under the usars name you have their record so it shows the odds.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 1:41:42 PM
At 10/10/2012 4:43:30 AM, larztheloser wrote:
Yes, but I think you shouldn't have to click somewhere to start voting on a debate, and click back if you wish to review the debate. Under the status quo, before the voting period, the vote now box appears immediately - which is great because it's a clear imperative right at the top to vote now.

The placement of this module (the one that is currently between the "Pro" and "Con" boxes, which displays the period, corresponding time, & then voting screen) is the main thing we have been debating about. Obviously, the goals of this redesign are to a) make the debates clearer and more organized for users and b) to make the "calls to action" more obvious and imperative. In this instance, these calls to action are voting and commenting.

Overall, in your opinion, which placement (between "Pro" and "Con" or underneath "Pro" and "Con") will best achieve these goals?

At 10/10/2012 1:10:40 PM, lannan13 wrote:
I like that idea...
I've got an idea to go with that how about under the usars name you have their record so it shows the odds.

We have actually been discussing this. We are concerned there will not be enough room to display this info directly on the page, but we have been considering having a box pop-up when you hover over the "Pro" user and "Con" user that displays their debate records.

Keep the suggestions coming! This is great, guys!

Thanks!
Suzanne
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 5:59:42 PM
"I've got an idea to go with that how about under the usars name you have their record so it shows the odds."

The problem with this is that it may affect outcomes of votes. Some people like to vote for "underdogs", others for more experienced debaters, without considering the arguments in the debate in any real depth. I have some concerns this may make that too easy to do. It would be cool to see ELO impact when accepting a debate though (ie "if you win you gain 11 points, if you draw you lose 2, if you lose you lose 20" or something).

"Overall, in your opinion, which placement (between "Pro" and "Con" or underneath "Pro" and "Con") will best achieve these goals?"

I don't think where you put the box has a massive impact, but in that wireframe I think the "status" box is well placed for this - "Status: Voting Period - Cast your vote:". I don't think a lack of comments on debates is a significant issue, so I'm not sure how to get a stronger imperative for commenting. The main reason why I don't like between is that it wouldn't fit in your wireframe with your pretty new top module. Mostly I'm glad to know the vote now box won't be disappearing.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 6:12:04 PM
wtf no to this: http://d.pr...

I know you want to make the site better, but really dont change it. I really really like the way debates look now
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right