Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 4:49:56 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Help. I need help.

I'm falling behind on my studies because I can't shake the DDO habit >.>

I find myself defaulting here whenever I'm supposed to buckle down and get some work done, and I've already wasted a lot more time than I have.

I wanted to know if anyone has closed their account before and whether or not it is a safe way of keeping your account on hold, without a risk of having it deleted >.>
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 4:52:02 PM
I've never done it myself, but PoeJoe closed his account for several weeks, possibly months, and he was able to start it back up again.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 4:54:04 PM
At 9/28/2009 4:49:56 PM, Kleptin wrote:

I find myself defaulting here whenever I'm supposed to buckle down and get some work done, and I've already wasted a lot more time than I have.

Ooh, I do that too. Calculus homework is in my lap as I post this.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 4:54:40 PM
Haha, I have a similar problem. Except I have all A's and A+'s right now, so I don't have to worry.

I think you should be fine closing your account. PoeJoe and Tatarize have both done it before. If something happens, I'm sure Phil could fix it.
ToastOfDestiny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 5:05:13 PM
Same here. FB + DDO = NO HW.
At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
Our demise and industrial destruction
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Only exists in your head, as already shown.

At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
reveal why you answer with a question mark
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Because it was a question.

RFDs Pl0x:
http://www.debate.org...
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 5:38:38 PM
You just have to discipline yourself. The problem is procrastination, not DDO. If you didn't have DDO you would find something else to help you not study.

One thing you could do (which I do pretty much every day at work) is make deals with yourself. Promise yourself a few minutes of browsing DDO once you have completed X amount of studying. Hope this helps!

P.S. I should be writing an outline for an essay right now, so I'm a hypocrite. :)
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 6:17:32 PM
At 9/28/2009 4:52:02 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
I've never done it myself, but PoeJoe closed his account for several weeks, possibly months, and he was able to start it back up again.

Tis true. Nothing will happen to your account if you close it.

At 9/28/2009 5:38:38 PM, JBlake wrote:
One thing you could do (which I do pretty much every day at work) is make deals with yourself. Promise yourself a few minutes of browsing DDO once you have completed X amount of studying. Hope this helps!

This is what I often tend to do, but after reaping my reward by browsing DDO for a few minutes, I remember I have to check my e-mail, and my friend has sent me a link to an awesome youtube video, which leads me to my subscription box, which leads me to to more videos, one of which is a video about these weird laws of "thermodynamics" (whatever that means), which leads me to Wikipedia, which leads me to...holy shat! Is it morning already?!
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 6:27:16 PM
At 9/28/2009 6:17:32 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
This is what I often tend to do, but after reaping my reward by browsing DDO for a few minutes, I remember I have to check my e-mail, and my friend has sent me a link to an awesome youtube video, which leads me to my subscription box, which leads me to to more videos, one of which is a video about these weird laws of "thermodynamics" (whatever that means), which leads me to Wikipedia, which leads me to...holy shat! Is it morning already?!

Yes, yes yes, this is what happens XD

Haaaalp :O
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 6:50:59 PM
I've actually found a novel way of defeating a website habit. Well, maybe not that novel.

I found a program called NetDog which blocks websites easily and effectively. Basically, if you put in the URL in the "blocked" site area, your browser can't connect to the URL whatsoever. It stops you from going there right away.

What is even better to do is to delete the desktop icon, delete the Start menu option, and any other easily accessible option. This way, if you feel the need to unblock the website, you'll have to enter program files and go through all of that. Not only is it time consuming, it also makes you think about what you're doing.

And, I'm glad to say I've been off the website for a long while now, even though I've felt the urge to be on it. You could do the same thing, with any website blocker I guess.

So, that is my suggestion.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 6:55:33 PM
At 9/28/2009 6:50:59 PM, Volkov wrote:
I've actually found a novel way of defeating a website habit. Well, maybe not that novel.

I found a program called NetDog which blocks websites easily and effectively. Basically, if you put in the URL in the "blocked" site area, your browser can't connect to the URL whatsoever. It stops you from going there right away.

What is even better to do is to delete the desktop icon, delete the Start menu option, and any other easily accessible option. This way, if you feel the need to unblock the website, you'll have to enter program files and go through all of that. Not only is it time consuming, it also makes you think about what you're doing.

And, I'm glad to say I've been off the website for a long while now, even though I've felt the urge to be on it. You could do the same thing, with any website blocker I guess.

So, that is my suggestion.

That's why you haven't been on much lately... Well, you're missed. Also, your method sucks on weekends when you want to actually go on DDO.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 6:58:41 PM
At 9/28/2009 6:55:33 PM, Nags wrote:
That's why you haven't been on much lately... Well, you're missed. Also, your method sucks on weekends when you want to actually go on DDO.

I haven't been on much recently because I've been working and going to school. Things to do, you know. Plus, now my laptop is broken and all I have is my desktop and notebook computer, and both are a little bit of a pain sometimes. But, I'm glad I'm missed.

But, I suppose you're right, at least about the weekend part. Though; by depriving yourself of the website entirely for say, a month or two, you can learn to maybe be reasonable with it afterwards.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 8:30:14 AM
Here's what I do: I procrastinate doing all my work until the very last minute. I usually go on DDO or other sites instead (I hate Facebook and MySpace though). Then, when something is about to be due, I think HOLY CRAP! I'VE GOTTA DO THIS NAO! So then that scares me into doing my work, and I do, and then all is right with the world. I won't go on DDO if I specifically know that I only have a miniscule amount of time to get something done. If I know I have a few weeks, or a few days, etc., then I just don't have the discipline. Although, I have to admit that having and keeping a planner helps a lot. Sometimes I'll pencil HW in, and I think if you pencil DDO in too (it sounds silly, but it works) then you actually stick to your schedule which helps. Anyway, my current plan seems to be working for me in particular though. I get to screw around all week, and then I just get my things done at the last minute through fear which helps me concentrate lol. I work best under pressure.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 11:02:48 AM
DDO pwns homework because its' fun and I learn more on DDO than in school.

Seriously, when in my life will I be forced to name two methods of catching fish and the reason as to why overfishing occurs. Or have a gun pointed at me and be forced to recite a poem in Irish or an essay on the environment.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 12:49:11 PM
At 9/29/2009 11:02:48 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
DDO pwns homework because its' fun and I learn more on DDO than in school.

Agreed.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 12:51:48 PM
But! On the other hand, are people (employers, for instance) really going to care that you're a beloved DDO forum maverick or a world-class debater? Or are people going to continue judging you based on grades and graduation? I'd bet on the latter... and it sucks. I'm one of the most intelligent people I know (hehe) and yet on paper I'm useless. w00t.
President of DDO
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 12:54:48 PM
At 9/29/2009 12:51:48 PM, theLwerd wrote:
But! On the other hand, are people (employers, for instance) really going to care that you're a beloved DDO forum maverick or a world-class debater? Or are people going to continue judging you based on grades and graduation? I'd bet on the latter... and it sucks. I'm one of the most intelligent people I know (hehe) and yet on paper I'm useless. w00t.

DDO isn't going to help you initially getting a job out of college. However, I'm sure the knowledge, intellect, writing, and debating skills learnt on DDO will be good for advancement within the company. If you can argue/debate effectively, you can be good at pretty much any job.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 1:13:05 PM
At 9/28/2009 4:49:56 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Help. I need help.

I wanted to know if anyone has closed their account before and whether or not it is a safe way of keeping your account on hold, without a risk of having it deleted >.>

i think this is a good thing, can you cut back on lesser important things.

DOD is seems to be good for you.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 2:12:28 PM
Alright, I managed to go around 5 hours without going on DDO. Admittedly, 2 of those hours were spent napping, 1 of them spent on facebook and only 1 hour doing actual work, but at least I actually spent that hour doing work ><

I'm in a 6-year pharmacy program, and it's scheduled so that the first three years are all the undergraduate courses, and the last three years are 2 years of graduate courses and a year of schedules rotations for practical experience.

The most jarring thing is that Lwerd's method of studying/working (which has also been mine for at least as long as I can physically remember) is a sure-fire way to failuresville.

The core of the program is this really strange class designed to go over all the systems of the body, the disorders that occur, and the drugs that treat them. It is structured in a very weird way, completely different from any other college course in terms of scheduling.

Instead of having this class twice a week or so, I have 2 hours of it every day, so they essentially cram 3 courses into one time slot @.@ The point is that I have either a midterm or a final every 3 weeks. Not a watered-down test, mind you, but essentially, I cover a semester-long 4 credit course in 6 weeks.

When we take into account the examinations, quizzes, papers, and labs that take place in between, I can describe my life pretty easily. When I wake up Monday morning, I can describe my upcoming week in only one of three ways:

1. It is finals week. I need to take my finals and cram for finals.
2. It is the week before finals week. I should probably start learning the stuff I need for finals next week.
3. It is both finals week *and* the week before finals week.

OK, no more posting on DDO. BACK TO WORK ><;;

theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 2:34:17 PM
I've got the same problem right now, expect with Halo 2 not DDO (just got an xbox from a friend, don't laugh). I'm behind in my AP US reading and really need to catch up.
When Reach fell, I came.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 6:12:32 PM
At 9/28/2009 6:50:59 PM, Volkov wrote:

*SPAM*
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 6:19:34 PM
At 9/29/2009 2:12:28 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Instead of having this class twice a week or so, I have 2 hours of it every day, so they essentially cram 3 courses into one time slot @.@ The point is that I have either a midterm or a final every 3 weeks. Not a watered-down test, mind you, but essentially, I cover a semester-long 4 credit course in 6 weeks.

When we take into account the examinations, quizzes, papers, and labs that take place in between, I can describe my life pretty easily. When I wake up Monday morning, I can describe my upcoming week in only one of three ways:

1. It is finals week. I need to take my finals and cram for finals.
2. It is the week before finals week. I should probably start learning the stuff I need for finals next week.
3. It is both finals week *and* the week before finals week.

OK, no more posting on DDO. BACK TO WORK ><;;

My lady is in med school and her schedule looks pretty much identical to what you describe (five day a week class, a finals amount of work ever 3 weeks, etc.). But she doesn't have DDO to contend with ;)

I hope you find a way to do both so that you can stick around here.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 6:35:58 PM
I second that. And JBlake... she's hot AND smart? *High5* Lucky us :D

I'm going to get you to visit Vi and I and then I'll dose her with ecstasy for you lol.
President of DDO
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2009 12:48:11 PM
At 9/29/2009 6:19:34 PM, JBlake wrote:
My lady is in med school and her schedule looks pretty much identical to what you describe (five day a week class, a finals amount of work ever 3 weeks, etc.). But she doesn't have DDO to contend with ;)

Med school is more difficult *by far*. It's just that med students are more prepared. 4 years of grueling undergraduate work prepare them for that. My 3 undergraduate years were really laid back, and this year, it hit me in the face like a sack of bricks ><;;

JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2009 12:59:18 PM
At 9/29/2009 6:35:58 PM, theLwerd wrote:

I'm going to get you to visit Vi and I and then I'll dose her with ecstasy for you lol.

*High5
XD
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2009 1:04:04 PM
At 9/30/2009 12:59:18 PM, JBlake wrote:
At 9/29/2009 6:35:58 PM, theLwerd wrote:

*High5
XD

I'll be the Irish guy.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2009 1:04:22 PM
At 9/30/2009 12:48:11 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Med school is more difficult *by far*. It's just that med students are more prepared. 4 years of grueling undergraduate work prepare them for that. My 3 undergraduate years were really laid back, and this year, it hit me in the face like a sack of bricks ><;;

For most students I would agree. She took a different route to get into med school though. She got a Bachelor of Science in Psychology (meaning a regular psychology degree with a few more advanced science courses). So the workload hit her pretty hard, too.

Our friends complain that they never see her anymore. Eff that, I barely get to see her and I live in the same house!