Jump to topic:

Voting Ideas

Double_Helix46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 9:20:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
We need to develop better voting methods.

We should have voters who honestly vote debates without bias and VB's.
I have debated one debate and it seems that all votes are VB's. I suggest well established voters and members should be allowed to vote. Anyone whoever VB's for any reason other than clear bad debating skills should not be allowed to vote at all. I look at to many debates were half the votes are stupid and bias. Most the debates I have read seem to have more VB's or counters than actual votes about the debate. What does everyone think?
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 9:26:11 PM
Good luck trying to fix that, it's been a problem forever.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Double_Helix46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 9:28:44 PM
At 10/13/2012 9:26:11 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Should it not be looked at? Are there no voting limitations?
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 9:44:46 PM
At 10/13/2012 9:28:44 PM, Double_Helix46 wrote:
At 10/13/2012 9:26:11 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Should it not be looked at? Are there no voting limitations?

Well as I'm sure you know, the current voting limitations are 3 completed debates and account confirmation.. Unfortunately, you'll never know when a user will cast a vote, or when he will cast a votebomb. Sometimes it depends who's debating, what the debate's about, etc.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 9:48:09 PM
Let's start a democracy.. ?
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 10:37:14 PM
This is probably one of the issues of the site I have spent the most time trying to come up with solutions for.

Unfortunately, beyond sending tons of messages to people with poor voting habits there haven't been a lot of viable long term solutions to the problem.

One of the short term solutions that I have tried has been contacting members who vote bomb, and warning them that further poor voting conduct may lead to their voting privileges or membership being revoked. Most of the time this is enough to discourage members from votebombing again (I'd say 9 out of 10 members that receive this message from me haven't votebombed again), as most of these cases are by newer members unaware (or unaware of the consequences from the lack) of proper voting conduct.

Only one member's membership was revoked for refusing to stop votebombing. I hope that now having the additional ability of being able to simply remove a member's voting privileges (rather than just banning them entirely) also discourages members from poor voting conduct.

Another thing is 'counter votebomb accounts' that Juggle created for me. While I've only used them a few times it does create another solution in the short term until there is the ability to simply delete obvious votebombs. (and members should always feel free to contact me if they get votebombed or feel if they have otherwise been wronged in any way)

As for other solutions to voting on the site, I don't think there is a simple answer. I hope that we are able to actually encourage more voting, while discouraging poor voting conduct, but it doesn't seem to have turned out that way so far (as total votes are down).

If anyone has any suggestions for how we can improve voting on the site please make suggestions here or get in touch with me through PM. If we can come up with some good ideas, I know Juggle would be interested in making changes to improve the site.

This is one of the most important problems the site faces and I hope that we can come up with some long term ideas to resolve the issues associated with it.
Debate.org Moderator
Double_Helix46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 11:53:53 PM
At 10/13/2012 10:37:14 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
This is probably one of the issues of the site I have spent the most time trying to come up with solutions for.

Unfortunately, beyond sending tons of messages to people with poor voting habits there haven't been a lot of viable long term solutions to the problem.

One of the short term solutions that I have tried has been contacting members who vote bomb, and warning them that further poor voting conduct may lead to their voting privileges or membership being revoked. Most of the time this is enough to discourage members from votebombing again (I'd say 9 out of 10 members that receive this message from me haven't votebombed again), as most of these cases are by newer members unaware (or unaware of the consequences from the lack) of proper voting conduct.

Only one member's membership was revoked for refusing to stop votebombing. I hope that now having the additional ability of being able to simply remove a member's voting privileges (rather than just banning them entirely) also discourages members from poor voting conduct.

Another thing is 'counter votebomb accounts' that Juggle created for me. While I've only used them a few times it does create another solution in the short term until there is the ability to simply delete obvious votebombs. (and members should always feel free to contact me if they get votebombed or feel if they have otherwise been wronged in any way)

As for other solutions to voting on the site, I don't think there is a simple answer. I hope that we are able to actually encourage more voting, while discouraging poor voting conduct, but it doesn't seem to have turned out that way so far (as total votes are down).

If anyone has any suggestions for how we can improve voting on the site please make suggestions here or get in touch with me through PM. If we can come up with some good ideas, I know Juggle would be interested in making changes to improve the site.

This is one of the most important problems the site faces and I hope that we can come up with some long term ideas to resolve the issues associated with it.

Thanks! I will think of suggestions and send them to you.
Double_Helix46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 12:10:41 AM
Airmax, please check this one out!http://www.debate.org...

Resolution: Macro-evolution & the Bible are not reconcilable

I am Pro!

Acceptable terms: My opponent will take the position that evolution and the Bible are reconcilable. They will not procede into semantics that evidence supports evolution or that creationism is not valid.

DeFool: Voted arguments to Con but this was is RFD:

Reasons for voting decision: Two well matched opponents. I awarded points to Con for his convincing argumentation, and for swaying me from my perspective going in to the debate. All other scoring I felt was too close to fairly award. Pro lost some ground by conflating the origins of life with evolution, two seperate topics. Of particular note was the narrative of Genesis, as related by Con. His argument was, to me, conclusive; this book simply cannot be reconciled with modern science.

Notice that He said the debate is evenly matched and that the book(Bible) can not be reconciled with modern science which includes Macro-evolution. The origins of life is Biblical. Completely unknowledgable vote.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2012 12:28:39 AM
At 10/14/2012 12:10:41 AM, Double_Helix46 wrote:
Airmax, please check this one out!http://www.debate.org...

Resolution: Macro-evolution & the Bible are not reconcilable

I am Pro!

Acceptable terms: My opponent will take the position that evolution and the Bible are reconcilable. They will not procede into semantics that evidence supports evolution or that creationism is not valid.

DeFool: Voted arguments to Con but this was is RFD:

Reasons for voting decision: Two well matched opponents. I awarded points to Con for his convincing argumentation, and for swaying me from my perspective going in to the debate. All other scoring I felt was too close to fairly award. Pro lost some ground by conflating the origins of life with evolution, two seperate topics. Of particular note was the narrative of Genesis, as related by Con. His argument was, to me, conclusive; this book simply cannot be reconciled with modern science.

Notice that He said the debate is evenly matched and that the book(Bible) can not be reconciled with modern science which includes Macro-evolution. The origins of life is Biblical. Completely unknowledgable vote.

I think Defool may have just mistakenly voted for the wrong side based on his RFD... In this case, I wouldn't include this as bad voting conduct as he only awards 3 points and makes an effort in explaining why he awarded them. This in contrast to Annanicole's vote (which was countered), who makes absolutely no effort to explain her vote in the least.

Contact Defool by sending him a PM to change his vote if he did indeed vote for the wrong side (Or contact me to contact him if you cannot)... In general contact me privately via PM to resolve voting issues.
Debate.org Moderator